Emily Dickinson - Some keep the Sabbath going to the Church

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

A poem sent to us by Ivan

Here's your Daily Poem from the Poetry Chaikhana --

[324] Some keep the Sabbath going to the Church

By Emily Dickinson(1830 - 1886)

Some keep the Sabbath going to the Church I keep it, staying at Home With a Bobolink for a Chorister And an Orchard, for a Dome Some keep the Sabbath in Surplice I just wear my Wings And instead of tolling the Bell, for Church,Our little Sexton sings.God preaches, a noted Clergyman And the sermon is never long,So instead of getting to Heaven, at last I'm going, all along.

-- from The Complete Poems of Emily Dickinson, Edited by Thomas H. Johnson

Amazon.com / Photo by doug88888 /

============

Thought for the Day:

Be just selfish enoughto insist on what isspiritually important to you.

============

Here's your Daily Music selection --

Annapurna

Mother of the Mystery

Listen - Purchase

More Music Selections

Hi Alan -I like the way Emily Dickinson talks about true worship being at home -- or within oneself -- rather than requiring church. She celebrates a worship that is simple, essential, direct.For her, trees form the roof of her church ("an Orchard, for a Dome").It is in her solitary moments and her private communions with nearby nature that Dickinson hears her sermons. She finds within this interior world that God preaches to her directly -- "a noted Clergyman" indeed!I especially love the closing lines:So instead of getting to Heaven, at last I'm going, all along.The journey to heaven has become a part of her, it fills her entire world. It is not relegated to the future, but a continuous unfolding in the present.Have a beautiful day!IvanPS - If you want to read about the time I was a murder suspect, check out

the blog link below...

Share Your Thoughts on today's poem or my commentary...

New on the Poetry Chaikhana BlogIn addition to the daily poem, other recent blog posts include:

Under Suspicion - When I was 21 I was briefly under suspicion in a murder investigation... More

The Imaginal Cell Story - by Nori Huddle - Comments (1) and in that realization is the shout of the birth of the butterfly! More

Movie - Kashf: The Unveiling - Comments (4) "Takes us on a journey exploring the mystical side of Islam." More

Support the Poetry Chaikhana

Donations to the Poetry Chaikhana in any amount are always welcome. Thank you!

Click here

You can also support the Poetry Chaikhana, as well as the authors and publishers of sacred poetry, by purchasing some of the recommended books through the links on this site. Thank you!

Click here

A small amount each month makes a big difference. Become a voluntary Subscriber for just $2/mo.

Click here

Help the Poetry Chaikhana reach more people. Become a Supporter for just $10/mo.

Poetry Chaikhana HomeNew | Books | Music | Teahouse | About | ContactPoets by: Name| Tradition | Timeline Poetry by: Theme | CommentaryBlog | Forum | Facebook | Twitter

www.Poetry-Chaikhana.com

Poetry ChaikhanaP.O. Box 2320Boulder, CO 80306

Ivan M. Granger's original poetry, stories and commentaries are 2002 - 2008 by Ivan M. Granger.All other material is copyrighted by the respective authors, translators and/or publishers.

============

Plain Text: If you have any difficulty reading this HTML formatted email, please let me know and I can send you plain text emails instead. Cancelling: If you wish to stop receiving this Daily Poem email from the Poetry Chaikhana, simply reply to this email and change the Subject to "Cancel".