IndiaDivine.org

Ramana's tooth ache; tabacco and the dying fish

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Dear Alan and Max,

not sure you have this in mind, Alan.

Ramana once used the snuff against his tooth ache.

love

Gabriele

Day by Day with Bhagavan, 22.11.45

***************************************************************************************************************************

Ramana:

"Tabacco is a germicide. When I was in Virupaksha cave, one day I suddenly found one tooth gave sharp pain when the cold rice came in contact with it and I could eat no more. I stopped eating and thought I would have to die of starvation. Vasudeva Sastri was then living with me. He had gone out at the time. When he returned to the cave I told him of my tooth ache. He said it was nothing and that a little tabacco would cure it, killing the germs. As we had no tabacco with us, somebody who had snuff with him gave me a little snuff and advised me to press it against the tooth, and it gave immediate relief, so much so that I was able to eat my next meal. When I examined the tooth there appeared to be something like a dot on it.

Gradually it became a hole. Later on a gentleman who was a District Munsiff at Tirukoilur and visiting me came to know of it, and sent a dentist from Madras. The dentist came, stayed here three days, charging Rs. 300-0-0 for his stay and did nothing substantial, except cleaning my teeth, pulling off one tooth and a part of another.

Even before I came here I knew of the power of tabacco. When the Periyan dam was constructed and the water first allowed to pass in the canals, the water came on in a flood and there was plenty of fish in the water. The fishermen used to divert the water by means of a side channel and let it into a pond into which they had thrown a number of bundles of tabacco stems, i.e., the stumps after the leaves had been utilised for making cigars. The moment the fish got into the pond they became unconsciuos or dead on account of the poison of the tabacco and began to float. And the fishermen got heaps of fish in this way."

-

Alan Jacobs

Friday, June 12, 2009 9:40 AM

Re: Food

Dear Max,

I cannot remember, but Gabriel Ebert, on this site, one of his Biographers probably knows.

Regards,

Alan--- On Fri, 12/6/09, maxamehc <maxamehc > wrote:

maxamehc <maxamehc >Re: Food Date: Friday, 12 June, 2009, 8:16 AM

Hi Alan,Thanks heaps, where can I find the story about the fish??, Alan Jacobs <alanadamsjacobs@ ...> wrote:>> Dear Max,> > Definately yes.if you want a satvic mind then Bhagavan stressed the need for a vegetarian diet. He also said that smoking was bad for meditation. He gave up taking snuff when he saw fish dying by a nicotania plant. He realised it was tamastic. All best wishes in your quest,> Alan> > --- On Fri, 12/6/09, maxamehc <maxamehc@.. .> wrote:> > > maxamehc <maxamehc@.. .>> Food> > Friday, 12 June, 2009, 7:51 AM> > > > > > > > > > Does it really matter what kinds of foods we take in if we are not truely touched by any of it?? smoking etc....>

Guest guest

Dear Gabriele,

Yes this is what I had in mind for Max. Thanks. I had forgotten he took the snuff because of toothache- but the rest of it is as I remember . Many thanks.

Love,

Yours in Bhagavan,

Alan--- On Fri, 12/6/09, gabriele ebert <g.ebert wrote:

gabriele ebert <g.ebert Ramana's tooth ache; tabacco and the dying fish Date: Friday, 12 June, 2009, 8:52 PM

Dear Alan and Max,

not sure you have this in mind, Alan.

Ramana once used the snuff against his tooth ache.

love

Gabriele

Day by Day with Bhagavan, 22.11.45

************ ********* ********* ********* ********* ********* ********* ********* ********* ********* ********* ********* ********* ***

Ramana:

"Tabacco is a germicide. When I was in Virupaksha cave, one day I suddenly found one tooth gave sharp pain when the cold rice came in contact with it and I could eat no more. I stopped eating and thought I would have to die of starvation. Vasudeva Sastri was then living with me. He had gone out at the time. When he returned to the cave I told him of my tooth ache. He said it was nothing and that a little tabacco would cure it, killing the germs. As we had no tabacco with us, somebody who had snuff with him gave me a little snuff and advised me to press it against the tooth, and it gave immediate relief, so much so that I was able to eat my next meal. When I examined the tooth there appeared to be something like a dot on it.

Gradually it became a hole. Later on a gentleman who was a District Munsiff at Tirukoilur and visiting me came to know of it, and sent a dentist from Madras. The dentist came, stayed here three days, charging Rs. 300-0-0 for his stay and did nothing substantial, except cleaning my teeth, pulling off one tooth and a part of another.

Even before I came here I knew of the power of tabacco. When the Periyan dam was constructed and the water first allowed to pass in the canals, the water came on in a flood and there was plenty of fish in the water. The fishermen used to divert the water by means of a side channel and let it into a pond into which they had thrown a number of bundles of tabacco stems, i.e., the stumps after the leaves had been utilised for making cigars. The moment the fish got into the pond they became unconsciuos or dead on account of the poison of the tabacco and began to float. And the fishermen got heaps of fish in this way."

-

Alan Jacobs

Friday, June 12, 2009 9:40 AM

Re: Food

Dear Max,

I cannot remember, but Gabriel Ebert, on this site, one of his Biographers probably knows.

Regards,

Alan--- On Fri, 12/6/09, maxamehc <maxamehc > wrote:

maxamehc <maxamehc >Re: FoodFriday, 12 June, 2009, 8:16 AM

Hi Alan,Thanks heaps, where can I find the story about the fish??, Alan Jacobs <alanadamsjacobs@ ...> wrote:>> Dear Max,> > Definately yes.if you want a satvic mind then Bhagavan stressed the need for a vegetarian diet. He also said that smoking was bad for meditation. He gave up taking snuff when he saw fish dying by a nicotania plant. He realised it was tamastic. All best wishes in your quest,> Alan> > --- On Fri, 12/6/09, maxamehc <maxamehc@.. .> wrote:> > > maxamehc <maxamehc@.. .>> Food> @

. com> Friday, 12 June, 2009, 7:51 AM> > > > > > > > > > Does it really matter what kinds of foods we take in if we are not truely touched by any of it?? smoking etc....>