AW: Pablo Neruda - Too Many Names

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Excellent Poem dear Alan,

Pablo Nerudas Poems have been also used

by Carlos Castaneda in order to discribe another view

of the world.

Please give my warmest regards to the other Alan.

Yours in Bhagavan

Sandosham--- Alan Jacobs <alanadamsjacobs schrieb am Fr, 3.7.2009:

Von: Alan Jacobs <alanadamsjacobsBetreff: Re: Pablo Neruda - Too Many NamesAn: Datum: Freitag, 3. Juli 2009, 9:46

A Poem from the famed Pablo Neruda sent in by Ivan

Here's your Daily Poem from the Poetry Chaikhana --

Too Many Names

By Pablo Neruda(1904 - 1973)

English version by Anthony Kerrigan

Mondays are meshed with Tuesdaysand the week with the whole year.Time cannot be cutwith your weary scissors,and all the names of the dayare washed out by the waters of night.No one can claim the name of Pedro,nobody is Rosa or Maria,all of us are dust or sand,all of us are rain under rain.They have spoken to me of Venezuelas,of Chiles and of Paraguays;I have no idea what they are saying.I know only the skin of the earthand I know it is without a name.When I lived amongst the rootsthey pleased me more than flowers did,and when I spoke to a stoneit rang like a bell.It is so long, the springwhich goes on all winter.Time lost its shoes.A year is four centuries.When I sleep every night,what am I called or not called?And when I wake, who am Iif I was not while I

slept?This means to say that scarcelyhave we landed into lifethan we come as if new-born;let us not fill our mouthswith so many faltering names,with so many sad formalities,with so many pompous letters,with so much of yours and mine,with so much of signing of papers.I have a mind to confuse things,unite them, bring them to birth,mix them up, undress them,until the light of the worldhas the oneness of the ocean,a generous, vast wholeness,a crepitant fragrance.

-- from Neruda: Selected Poems, by Pablo Neruda / Translated by Anthony Kerrigan

Amazon.com / Photo by Swami Stream /

============

Thought for the Day:

Ask yourself--What if reaching enlightenmentwas no reach at all?

============

Here's your Daily Music selection --

Angelica Mia Margaret & Sal Rachele

Angels' Jewels of Illumination

Listen - Purchase

More Music Selections

Hi Alan -I just received word that my mother is in the hospital with brain cancer. Still a lot of questions about how she's doing and what the next step is for her in her treatment.Today I dedicate this poem to my mother, Jan....until the light of the worldhas the oneness of the ocean,a generous, vast wholeness...Ivan

Support the Poetry Chaikhana

Donations to the Poetry Chaikhana in any amount are always welcome. Thank you!

Click here

You can also support the Poetry Chaikhana, as well as the authors and publishers of sacred poetry, by purchasing some of the recommended books through the links on this site. Thank you!

Click here

A small amount each month makes a big difference. Become a voluntary Subscriber for just $2/mo.

Click here

Help the Poetry Chaikhana reach more people. Become a Supporter for just $10/mo.

Poetry Chaikhana HomeNew | Books | Music | Teahouse | About | ContactPoets by: Name| Tradition | Timeline Poetry by: Theme | CommentaryBlog | Forum | Facebook | Twitter

www.Poetry-Chaikhan a.com Poetry ChaikhanaP.O. Box 2320Boulder, CO 80306

Ivan M. Granger's original poetry, stories and commentaries are 2002 - 2008 by Ivan M. Granger.All other material is copyrighted by the respective authors, translators and/or publishers.

============

Plain Text: If you have any difficulty reading this HTML formatted email, please let me know and I can send you plain text emails instead. Cancelling: If you wish to stop receiving this Daily Poem email from the Poetry Chaikhana, simply reply to this email and change the Subject to "Cancel".