IndiaDivine.org

Thayumanavar and Bhagavan

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Dear Ramesh,

Thank you . Once again we are in complete agreement. Thanks. All Love, in His Grace, Alan--- On Sun, 19/7/09, ramesh chivukula <ramesh_chiv wrote:

ramesh chivukula <ramesh_chivRe: Thayumanavar and Bhagavan Date: Sunday, 19 July, 2009, 2:01 PM

Dear Alan ...

As far as language is concerned am at a great disadvantage ..I cannot read or writeTelugu which is my native tongue ..I studied Tamil as a supplementary language ( but noe being my mother tongue ..i dare not lay claims to understanding the greatness of Tamil poets - there are many ...Lord Agashtya was the principal founder of the tamil language ..His treatises on medicine , spirituality , philosophy , occult sciences are just phenomenal ..

Am told that Thayumanavar poems used to sung once upon a time in every tamilian home..

Ofcourse English translations can never match the original texts ( just as we cant imagine tamil translation of Shakespeare ) ...I envy those who are proficient in ancient langauges like Sanskrit ( the mother of all ) , Tamil and Telugu...

Am trying to make up for lost time by reading tamil scriptures along with english translation. .

all love

ramesh

--- On Sun, 7/19/09, Alan Jacobs <alanadamsjacobs@ .co. uk> wrote:

Alan Jacobs <alanadamsjacobs@ .co. uk>Re: Thayumanavar and BhagavanSunday, July 19, 2009, 6:18 PM

Dear Ramesh,

Thanks for the valuable attachment of Thayumanavar' s Poetry. The Tiruvacagam of Manikka-Vacagar has been completely translated into English by G..U.Pope metrically.

Ramana Maharshi and Muruganar both loved this great poem. Appar has also been translated by Indira Peterson.

Poetry is an essential part of the Tamil tradition. All Bhagavan's written works (except where they are answers to questions) are composed as Poems. We lose so much by prosaic English translations which lose the Rasa.

Love to all,

Alan--- On Sun, 19/7/09, ramesh chivukula <ramesh_chiv@ > wrote:

ramesh chivukula <ramesh_chiv@ > Thayumanavar and Bhagavan [1 Attachment]Sunday, 19 July, 2009, 1:29 PM

Vrunda ..Sorry I took it for granted you knew tamil since you had menioned you were working some where in interior tamilnadu ..

Saint Thayumanavar was a great poet , he was known as the silent master ..Bhagavan used to be moved to tears on hearings his hyms..Iam searching for a book which contains the complete poems of Thayaumanavar with english meaning ..

Am attaching herewith an article on Bhagavan and Thayumanavar ..happy reading..

ramesh--- On Sun, 7/19/09, PV <yvpy wrote:

PV <yvpy Re: AUGUST SUMMERSunday, July 19, 2009, 3:06 PM

Ramesh, Thankyou very much. I would love to read the poems of Thayumanavar.Not knowing any Tamil, I hear the fascinating names, and read/hear people's commentaries upon them, however, have not read any.ThanksVrunda, ramesh chivukula <ramesh_chiv@ ...> wrote:>> Vrunda..Nice poem , thanks ..Have you read Thayumanavar padalgal ...if you have , can you post some ? His poems are evry intense . my friend used to recite to me while i was in college , which was decades ago..> > > --- On Sun, 7/19/09, Alan Jacobs <alanadamsjacobs@ ...> wrote:> > > Alan Jacobs <alanadamsjacobs@ ...>> Re: AUGUST SUMMER> > Sunday, July 19, 2009, 2:39 PM> > > > > > > > > > > > Thank you Vrunda, poetry conveys more than prose when it comes to feelings. The great Tamil tradition of Poetry understands this vey well,> > Yours in Bhagavan, the Supreme Poet/Guru> > Love,> > Alan.> > --- On Sun, 19/7/09, PV <yvpy wrote:> > > PV <yvpy> Re: AUGUST SUMMER> > Sunday, 19 July, 2009, 10:02 AM> > > > > So beautiful.> > Joining you in the awesome meadow.>

> Creation, life's longing> Sings in your words> Lifts my spirits> With hope> in this divine hour.> > Tears are dried> Wonder here again> At me, you, her, him, they, us> "Donkeys" all> As Yosy, eternal poet> Sings.> > Thanks> Vrunda> > , Alan Jacobs <alanadamsjacobs@ ...> wrote:> >> > > > AUGUST SUMMER> > > > August summer from awesome meadow sings,> > I never tire from commune with my Soul,> > In silent wood's enchanted shades, where broad> > Shafts of sunlight fall in full accord> > Gilding leaves of green. The dusty lane's my goal,> > Which ends where the higher path begins.> > The air, the fair horizon, crystal springs,> > Rosy lips of dawn, which one yearns to

kiss> > This hem of heaven's robe in joyful bliss.> > > > Come! let's gaze at gleaming stars so chaste> > They shine on Mother Earth through veils with haste.> > Let pine trees imparting scented breath> > Waft you along to life away from death,> > To sapphire streams and fields of emerald green.> > Let Nature's radiance reveal her sheen> > On the solemn beauty of your furrowed brow.> > True love latent in your heart, here and now,> > Will ever grace this sacred, monumental hour.> >>

Guest guest

Thankyou, Ramesh, very much, for the document. Especially, since in it, Ramana

answers a question about Krishnamurti, another of my heroes.

Thanks

Vrunda

, ramesh chivukula <ramesh_chiv wrote:

>

> Vrunda ..Sorry I took it for granted you knew tamil since you had menioned you

were working some where in interior tamilnadu ..

>  

> Saint Thayumanavar was a great poet , he was known as the silent master

...Bhagavan used to be moved to tears on hearings his hyms..Iam searching for a

book which contains the complete poems of Thayaumanavar with english meaning ..

>  

> Am attaching herewith an article on Bhagavan and Thayumanavar ..happy

reading..

>  

> ramesh

>

> --- On Sun, 7/19/09, PV <yvpy wrote:

>

>

> PV <yvpy

> Re: AUGUST SUMMER

>

> Sunday, July 19, 2009, 3:06 PM

>

>

>  

>

>

>

> Ramesh, Thankyou very much. I would love to read the poems of Thayumanavar.

> Not knowing any Tamil, I hear the fascinating names, and read/hear people's

commentaries upon them, however, have not read any.

>

> Thanks

> Vrunda

>

> , ramesh chivukula <ramesh_chiv@ ...>

wrote:

> >

> > Vrunda..Nice poem , thanks ..Have you read Thayumanavar padalgal ...if you

have , can you post some ?  His poems are evry intense  . my friend used to

recite to me while i was in college , which was decades ago..

> >

> >

> > --- On Sun, 7/19/09, Alan Jacobs <alanadamsjacobs@ ...> wrote:

> >

> >

> > Alan Jacobs <alanadamsjacobs@ ...>

> > Re: AUGUST SUMMER

> >

> > Sunday, July 19, 2009, 2:39 PM

> >

> >

> >  

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > Thank you Vrunda, poetry conveys more than prose when it comes to feelings.

The great Tamil tradition of Poetry understands this vey well,

> >  

> > Yours in Bhagavan, the Supreme Poet/Guru

> >  

> > Love,

> >  

> > Alan.

> >

> > --- On Sun, 19/7/09, PV <yvpy@> wrote:

> >

> >

> > PV <yvpy@>

> > Re: AUGUST SUMMER

> >

> > Sunday, 19 July, 2009, 10:02 AM

> >

> >

> >  

> >

> > So beautiful.

> >

> > Joining you in the awesome meadow.

> >

> > Creation, life's longing

> > Sings in your words

> > Lifts my spirits

> > With hope

> > in this divine hour.

> >

> > Tears are dried

> > Wonder here again

> > At me, you, her, him, they, us

> > " Donkeys " all

> > As Yosy, eternal poet

> > Sings.

> >

> > Thanks

> > Vrunda

> >

> > , Alan Jacobs <alanadamsjacobs@ ...>

wrote:

> > >

> > >

> > > AUGUST SUMMER

> > >

> > > August summer from awesome meadow sings,

> > > I never tire from commune with my Soul,

> > > In silent wood's enchanted shades, where broad

> > > Shafts of sunlight fall in full accord

> > > Gilding leaves of green. The dusty lane's my goal,

> > > Which ends where the higher path begins.

> > > The air, the fair horizon, crystal springs,

> > > Rosy lips of dawn, which one yearns to kiss

> > > This hem of heaven's robe in joyful bliss.

> > >

> > > Come! let's gaze at gleaming stars so chaste

> > > They shine on Mother Earth through veils with haste.

> > > Let pine trees imparting scented breath

> > > Waft you along to life away from death,

> > > To sapphire streams and fields of emerald green.

> > > Let Nature's radiance reveal her sheen

> > > On the solemn beauty of your furrowed brow.

> > > True love latent in your heart, here and now,

> > > Will ever grace this sacred, monumental hour.

> > >

> >

>