IndiaDivine.org

Dorothy Walters - The Moment

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Here's your Daily Poem from the Poetry Chaikhana --sent by Ivan Granger

The Moment

By Dorothy Walters(1928 - )

"We Must Die Because We Have Known Them" (Title of a poem by Rilke, taken from the sayings of Ptah-hotep, ms. from 2,000 BCE)And not once,but many times over,again and again,how we disappearedinto that deep wellof darkness, shuddering beneath that load of silence,clinging to our narrow ledge.Yet the darkness, sometimes,unfolded as light.Our atoms dissolved in it,each separate molecule openinginto a radiant disk of feeling.How still we became,witness and thing seen,spectacle and observer,each point admitting an untrammeled flood.

-- from Marrow of Flame : Poems of the Spiritual Journey, by Dorothy Walters

Amazon.com / Photo by tiny white lights /

============

Thought for the Day:

Live for hard success,slow success,hidden success.

============

Here's your Daily Music selection --

Steve Gorn

Luminous Ragas

Listen / Purchase

More Music Selections

Hi Alan -Yesterday, my wife and I had brunch with Dorothy Walters and Elizabeth Reninger. A delightful conversation with lots of wisdom wrapped in laughter. Inspired me to share one of Dorothy's poems this morning...(Don't forget to check out some of Elizabeth Reninger's excellent poetry, as well!)---This poem by Dorothy Walters so beautifully evokes the state of awareness of the sacred experience.how we disappearedinto that deep wellof darkness, shuddering beneath that load of silence...The silence she is talking about is a psychic silence, a stillness of mind and quietness of awareness that is so all encompassing that your personal sense of identity disappears. It can be like diving into a "deep well" of silence.Yet, for many mystics,

within that "darkness" we find ourselves infused with a dazzling light.I especially like her description of how "our atoms dissolved" in that light, "each separate molecule opening / into a radiant disk of feeling." She's got it -- right there. Each part of ourselves, every cell and sinew, every tremor and thought, opens to itself in delight, and we discover that we are that which causes them all to shine and hum as a whole.And the final verse: the stillness, the unity of observed and observer, the two recognized as one, sharing an "untrammeled flood" of bliss.Beautiful!IvanPS - Music Linksyou may have noticed that the links to listen to the music selections stopped working last week. CDBaby changed the format of their web site, and the "Listen" links in the Poetry Chaikhana emails no longer work. As a temporary solution, I have changed the links to take you directly to the CDBaby web page for the CD,

and there you can click to listen to individual music samples. But I'm not satisfied with that as a permanent solution too many steps.When I have the time, I will have to completely redesign how the music selections work in conjunction with the Poetry Chaikhana. And it's possible I'll need to change to using Amazon.com for the music selections, instead. I like supporting the smaller company and the independent musicians and artists CDBaby represents, but it looks like I'll be able to get the whole process integrated into the emails more easily with Amazon.

Support the Poetry Chaikhana

Donations to the Poetry Chaikhana in any amount are always welcome. Thank you!

Click here

You can also support the Poetry Chaikhana, as well as the authors and publishers of sacred poetry, by purchasing some of the recommended books through the links on this site. Thank you!

Click here

A small amount each month makes a big difference. Become a voluntary Subscriber for just $2/mo.

Click here

Help the Poetry Chaikhana reach more people. Become a Supporter for just $10/mo.

Poetry Chaikhana HomeNew | Books | Music | Teahouse | About | ContactPoets by: Name| Tradition | Timeline Poetry by: Theme | CommentaryBlog | Forum | Facebook | Twitter

www.Poetry-Chaikhana.com

Poetry ChaikhanaP.O. Box 2320Boulder, CO 80306

Ivan M. Granger's original poetry, stories and commentaries are 2002 - 2008 by Ivan M. Granger.All other material is copyrighted by the respective authors, translators and/or publishers.

============

Plain Text: If you have any difficulty reading this HTML formatted email, please let me know and I can send you plain text emails instead. Cancelling: If you wish to stop receiving this Daily Poem email from the Poetry Chaikhana, simply reply to this email and change the Subject to "Cancel".