IndiaDivine.org

Niffari (Muhammad ibn al-Hasan an-Niffari) - Stand at the throne (from The Standing Of the Presence Chamber and the Letter)

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

From friend Ivan

Here's your Daily Poem from the Poetry Chaikhana --

Stand at the throne (from The Standing Of the Presence Chamber and the Letter)

By Niffari (Muhammad ibn al-Hasan an-Niffari)(? - 965)

English version by Michael A. Sells

He said to me: Stand at the throne. I saw the sanctuary. No gaze attained it. No cares entered it. In it I saw the doors of every reality. I saw the doors on fire. In the fire was a sanctuary. Nothing could enter it but the sincere act. When it entered, it came to the door. When it came to the door, it stood for the reckoning I saw the reckoning single out what was for the face of God

from what was for the other-than-him. I saw the reward was other-than-him. I saw that the act, sincere in him and for him alone, raised from the door to the highest plane of vision. When it was raised, there was written upon the door: "It has passed the reckoning."Eat from my hand,Drink from my hand Or you will not be equal to my obedience.If you do not obey me on my account, You will not be equal to my worship.If you cast off your fault you will cast off your ignorance.If you recall your fault

you will forget your lord.In the garden is everything thought can bear and behind it more.

-- from Early Islamic Mysticism: Sufi, Quran, Miraj, Poetic and Theological Writings (Classics of Western Spirituality), by Michael A. Sells

Amazon.com / Photo by red twolips /

============

Thought for the Day:

Every ignoble act says --"Save me from myself!"Every noble act saysthe same.

============

Here's your Daily Music selection --

Vedvik/Tillman

Cinematic Volunteer

Listen / Purchase

More Music Selections

Hi Alan -Little is known about the life of Muhammad ibn 'Abd al-Jabbar ibn al-Hasan an-Niffari. He is often considered to be an early Sufi, though his name does not formally appear in any of the Sufi lineage charts. I found one source that stated Niffari was from Mesopotamia (the broad region that makes up modern day Iraq and Iran), but he wrote in Arabic not Persian and he died in Egypt, so I question this...Niffari's Book of Standings (Kitab al-Mawaqif) is a fascinating collection of visionary poems. The "standing" referred to in the book has a rather subtle meaning in that each poem or chapter refers to a unique way in which he is made to stand by God. By this, Niffari seems to be suggesting that he is made to be present, straight, alive in the Real.--There is so much to explore in this "standing" that I leave it with you to contemplate. Just a few of my own

thoughts...Nothing could enter it but the sincere act.Love that.I saw the reckoningsingle out what was for the face of Godfrom what was for the other-than-him.The day of reckoning, Judgment Day, is when we are sifted to discover what in us is a pure reflection of the face of God from that which is "other-than-him." But Niffari sees that even the "reward" is "other-than-him." He seems to be reminding us that to truly pass the "reckoning," we must seek the Eternal not for the sake of a promised heavenly reward, but for the Eternal alone. I saw that the act, sincere in him and for him alone,raised from the door to the highest plane of vision.When it was raised, there was written upon the door:"It has passed the reckoning."A sacred puzzle: The reward is not the reward; God is the reward.Eat from my hand,Drink from my handOr you will not be equal to my

obedience.This is an statement of inner mystical initiation. Depth here to explore...If you cast off your faultyou will cast off your ignorance.If you recall your faultyou will forget your lord.I love these lines too. A reminder to us that obsessing on faults, imperfections, or sins keeps us cut off from the Divine. The proper approach is not to linger on one's personal or spiritual failures; that simply strengthens the illusory walls between the individual awareness and the Eternal. No, one must see those "faults" clearly, and seeing them clearly no longer cling to them, allowing them to simply fall away without self-condemnation.We define ourselves by our faults, and create spiritual separation through self-condemnation. When we let them simply fall, the walls we imagined separating ourselves from the Eternal show themselves to have never been. "Ignorance" finally disappears and we we have all

along been standing in the presence of the Divine.In the gardenis everything thought can bearand behind it more.Have a beautiful weekend!Ivan

Share Your Thoughts on today's poem or my commentary...

Donations to the Poetry ChaikhanaA sincere thank you to everyone who donated to the Poetry Chaikhana in the last couple of weeks:- Tom (CA), Sunil (India), Fatos (MI), Gerald (FL)Thank you also to everyone who contributes monthly through a voluntary paid subscription.. New rs:- Hendrikus, TajI am so grateful for each and every contribution. Your support makes a big difference in maintaining the Poetry Chaikhana.---A few reasons to consider making a donation of your own...

Contributing will put a smile on your face!

People's interests naturally change and evolve over time. Individuals who donated regularly a couple years ago often move on. That's to be expected. For that reason, the Poetry Chaikhana needs new contributors.

The daily poem email gives you something quiet and sacred to look forward to at the end of the day.

The Poetry Chaikhana looks to the core that unifies all religions.

Ivan maintains the Poetry Chaikhana in his free time, usually in the mornings before work. Your donation allows him to trim back his work hours and dedicate more time to the Poetry Chaikhana and your emails.

Support the Poetry Chaikhana

Donations to the Poetry Chaikhana in any amount are always welcome. Thank you!

Click here

You can also support the Poetry Chaikhana, as well as the authors and publishers of sacred poetry, by purchasing some of the recommended books through the links on this site. Thank you!

Click here

A small amount each month makes a big difference. Become a voluntary Subscriber for just $2/mo.

Click here

Help the Poetry Chaikhana reach more people. Become a Supporter for just $10/mo.

Poetry Chaikhana HomeNew | Books | Music | Teahouse | About | ContactPoets by: Name| Tradition | Timeline Poetry by: Theme | CommentaryBlog | Forum | Facebook | Twitter

www.Poetry-Chaikhana.com

Poetry ChaikhanaP.O. Box 2320Boulder, CO 80306

Ivan M. Granger's original poetry, stories and commentaries are 2002 - 2008 by Ivan M. Granger.All other material is copyrighted by the respective authors, translators and/or publishers.

============

Plain Text: If you have any difficulty reading this HTML formatted email, please let me know and I can send you plain text emails instead. Cancelling: If you wish to stop receiving this Daily Poem email from the Poetry Chaikhana, simply reply to this email and change the Subject to "Cancel".

Guest guest

Thank you for posting this. It is most accurate and authentic.

In respsonse:

The pure flame, having burned all vasanas, does not need to be fed vasanas

in order to stay lit... the pilot light never goes out in the Heart of Self.

Alan Jacobs <alanadamsjacobsSent: Friday, July 31, 2009 9:46:31 AM Niffari (Muhammad ibn al-Hasan an-Niffari) - Stand at the throne (from The Standing Of the Presence Chamber and the Letter)

From friend Ivan

He said to me: Stand at the throne. I saw the sanctuary. No gaze attained it. No cares entered it. In it I saw the doors of every reality. I saw the doors on fire. In the fire was a sanctuary. Nothing could enter it but the sincere act. When it entered, it came to the door. When it came to the door, it stood for the reckoning I saw the reckoning single out what was for the face of God

from what was for the other-than-him. I saw the reward was other-than-him. I saw that the act, sincere in him and for him alone, raised from the door to the highest plane of vision. When it was raised, there was written upon the door: "It has passed the reckoning."Eat from my hand,Drink from my hand Or you will not be equal to my obedience.If you do not obey me on my account, You will not be equal to my worship.If you cast off your fault you will cast off your ignorance.If you recall your fault

you will forget your lord.In the garden is everything thought can bear and behind it more.

-- from Early Islamic Mysticism: Sufi, Quran, Miraj, Poetic and Theological Writings (Classics of Western Spirituality), by Michael A. Sells

============

Thought for the Day:

============

Vedvik/Tillman

Cinematic Volunteer

Listen / Purchase

More Music Selections

Hi Alan -Little is known about the life of Muhammad ibn 'Abd al-Jabbar ibn al-Hasan an-Niffari. He is often considered to be an early Sufi, though his name does not formally appear in any of the Sufi lineage charts. I found one source that stated Niffari was from Mesopotamia (the broad region that makes up modern day Iraq and Iran), but he wrote in Arabic not Persian and he died in Egypt, so I question this....Niffari's Book of Standings (Kitab al-Mawaqif) is a fascinating collection of visionary poems. The "standing" referred to in the book has a rather subtle meaning in that each poem or chapter refers to a unique way in which he is made to stand by God. By this, Niffari seems to be suggesting that he is made to be present, straight, alive in the Real.--There is so much to explore in this "standing" that I leave it with you to contemplate. Just a few of my own

thoughts...Nothing could enter it but the sincere act.Love that.I saw the reckoningsingle out what was for the face of Godfrom what was for the other-than-him.The day of reckoning, Judgment Day, is when we are sifted to discover what in us is a pure reflection of the face of God from that which is "other-than- him." But Niffari sees that even the "reward" is "other-than- him." He seems to be reminding us that to truly pass the "reckoning," we must seek the Eternal not for the sake of a promised heavenly reward, but for the Eternal alone. I saw that the act, sincere in him and for him alone,raised from the door to the highest plane of vision.When it was raised, there was written upon the door:"It has passed the reckoning."A sacred puzzle: The reward is not the reward; God is the reward.Eat from my hand,Drink from my handOr you will not be equal to

my obedience.This is an statement of inner mystical initiation.. Depth here to explore...If you cast off your faultyou will cast off your ignorance.If you recall your faultyou will forget your lord.I love these lines too. A reminder to us that obsessing on faults, imperfections, or sins keeps us cut off from the Divine. The proper approach is not to linger on one's personal or spiritual failures; that simply strengthens the illusory walls between the individual awareness and the Eternal. No, one must see those "faults" clearly, and seeing them clearly no longer cling to them, allowing them to simply fall away without self-condemnation.We define ourselves by our faults, and create spiritual separation through self-condemnation. When we let them simply fall, the walls we imagined separating ourselves from the Eternal show themselves to have never been. "Ignorance" finally disappears and we we have

all along been standing in the presence of the Divine.In the gardenis everything thought can bearand behind it more.Have a beautiful weekend!Ivan

Share Your Thoughts on today's poem or my commentary.. .

Donations to the Poetry ChaikhanaA sincere thank you to everyone who donated to the Poetry Chaikhana in the last couple of weeks:- Tom (CA), Sunil (India), Fatos (MI), Gerald (FL)Thank you also to everyone who contributes monthly through a voluntary paid subscription. . New rs:- Hendrikus, TajI am so grateful for each and every contribution. Your support makes a big difference in maintaining the Poetry Chaikhana.---A few reasons to consider making a donation of your own...

People's interests naturally change and evolve over time. Individuals who donated regularly a couple years ago often move on. That's to be expected. For that reason, the Poetry Chaikhana needs new contributors.

The daily poem email gives you something quiet and sacred to look forward to at the end of the day.

Ivan maintains the Poetry Chaikhana in his free time, usually in the mornings before work. Your donation allows him to trim back his work hours and dedicate more time to the Poetry Chaikhana and your emails.

Click here

You can also support the Poetry Chaikhana, as well as the authors and publishers of sacred poetry, by purchasing some of the recommended books through the links on this site. Thank you!

Click here

A small amount each month makes a big difference. Become a voluntary Subscriber for just $2/mo.

Click here

Help the Poetry Chaikhana reach more people. Become a Supporter for just $10/mo.

Poetry Chaikhana HomeNew | Books | Music | Teahouse | About | ContactPoets by: Name| Tradition | Timeline Poetry by: Theme | CommentaryBlog | Forum | Facebook | Twitter www.Poetry-Chaikhan a.com Poetry ChaikhanaP.O. Box 2320Boulder, CO 80306

Ivan M. Granger's original poetry, stories and commentaries are 2002 - 2008 by Ivan M. Granger.All other material is copyrighted by the respective authors, translators and/or publishers.

============

Plain Text: If you have any difficulty reading this HTML formatted email, please let me know and I can send you plain text emails instead. Cancelling: If you wish to stop receiving this Daily Poem email from the Poetry Chaikhana, simply reply to this email and change the Subject to "Cancel".

Guest guest

I had never read the article on the following link: http://www.realization.org/page/doc1/doc109a.htm it is quite a good article about a devotee and Ramana. I share it with all who are focused on Ramana's Eternal gaze.

Rafe Stoneman <rafaelstoneman Sent: Friday, July 31, 2009 10:07:58 AMRe: Niffari (Muhammad ibn al-Hasan an-Niffari) - Stand at the throne (from The Standing Of the Presence Chamber and the Letter)

Thank you for posting this. It is most accurate and authentic.

In respsonse:

The pure flame, having burned all vasanas, does not need to be fed vasanas

in order to stay lit... the pilot light never goes out in the Heart of Self..

Alan Jacobs <alanadamsjacobs@ .co. uk>@ . .comFriday, July 31, 2009 9:46:31 AM Niffari (Muhammad ibn al-Hasan an-Niffari) - Stand at the throne (from The Standing Of the Presence Chamber and the Letter)

From friend Ivan

============

Thought for the Day:

============

Vedvik/Tillman

Cinematic Volunteer

Listen / Purchase

More Music Selections

Hi Alan -Little is known about the life of Muhammad ibn 'Abd al-Jabbar ibn al-Hasan an-Niffari. He is often considered to be an early Sufi, though his name does not formally appear in any of the Sufi lineage charts. I found one source that stated Niffari was from Mesopotamia (the broad region that makes up modern day Iraq and Iran), but he wrote in Arabic not Persian and he died in Egypt, so I question this.....Niffari's Book of Standings (Kitab al-Mawaqif) is a fascinating collection of visionary poems. The "standing" referred to in the book has a rather subtle meaning in that each poem or chapter refers to a unique way in which he is made to stand by God. By this, Niffari seems to be suggesting that he is made to be present, straight, alive in the Real.--There is so much to explore in this "standing" that I leave it with you to contemplate. Just a few of my own

thoughts...Nothing could enter it but the sincere act.Love that.I saw the reckoningsingle out what was for the face of Godfrom what was for the other-than-him.The day of reckoning, Judgment Day, is when we are sifted to discover what in us is a pure reflection of the face of God from that which is "other-than- him." But Niffari sees that even the "reward" is "other-than- him." He seems to be reminding us that to truly pass the "reckoning," we must seek the Eternal not for the sake of a promised heavenly reward, but for the Eternal alone. I saw that the act, sincere in him and for him alone,raised from the door to the highest plane of vision.When it was raised, there was written upon the door:"It has passed the reckoning."A sacred puzzle: The reward is not the reward; God is the reward.Eat from my hand,Drink from my handOr you will not be equal to

my obedience.This is an statement of inner mystical initiation... Depth here to explore...If you cast off your faultyou will cast off your ignorance.If you recall your faultyou will forget your lord.I love these lines too. A reminder to us that obsessing on faults, imperfections, or sins keeps us cut off from the Divine. The proper approach is not to linger on one's personal or spiritual failures; that simply strengthens the illusory walls between the individual awareness and the Eternal. No, one must see those "faults" clearly, and seeing them clearly no longer cling to them, allowing them to simply fall away without self-condemnation.We define ourselves by our faults, and create spiritual separation through self-condemnation. When we let them simply fall, the walls we imagined separating ourselves from the Eternal show themselves to have never been. "Ignorance" finally disappears and we we have

all along been standing in the presence of the Divine.In the gardenis everything thought can bearand behind it more.Have a beautiful weekend!Ivan

Share Your Thoughts on today's poem or my commentary.. .

Donations to the Poetry ChaikhanaA sincere thank you to everyone who donated to the Poetry Chaikhana in the last couple of weeks:- Tom (CA), Sunil (India), Fatos (MI), Gerald (FL)Thank you also to everyone who contributes monthly through a voluntary paid subscription. . New rs:- Hendrikus, TajI am so grateful for each and every contribution. Your support makes a big difference in maintaining the Poetry Chaikhana.---A few reasons to consider making a donation of your own...

Click here

Click here

Click here

Poetry Chaikhana HomeNew | Books | Music | Teahouse | About | ContactPoets by: Name| Tradition | Timeline Poetry by: Theme | CommentaryBlog | Forum | Facebook | Twitter www.Poetry-Chaikhan a.com Poetry ChaikhanaP.O. Box 2320Boulder, CO 80306

============