IndiaDivine.org

Ramana Maharshi's answer to Materialists who say there is no such thing as God or Self

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

17-8-46This morning, a number of Gujerati visitors arrived here,evidently returning from Pondicherry, after darshan there on the 15th. One of them asked Bhagavan, “What is meant by Self-realisation? Materialists say there is no such thing as God or Self.” 

Bhagavan said, “Never mind what the materialists or others say; and don’t bother about Self or God. Do you exist or not? What is your idea of yourself? What do you mean by ‘I’?”The visitor said he did not understand by ‘I’ his body, but something within his body.

Thereupon, Bhagavan continued,“You concede ‘I’ is not the body but something within it. See then from whence the ‘I’ arises within the body. See whether it arises and disappears, or is always present.You will admit there is an ‘I’ which emerges as soon as you wake up, sees the body,the world and all else, and ceases to exist when you sleep; and that there is another ‘I’ which exists apart from the body, independently of it, and which alone is with you when the body and the world do not exist for you, as for instance in sleep. 

Then ask yourself if you are not the same ‘I’ during sleep and during the other states. Are there two ‘I’s? You are the same one person always. Now, which can be real, the ‘I’ which comes and goes, or the ‘I’ which always abides? Then you will know that you are the Self. This is called Self-realisation. 

Selfrealisation is not however a state which is foreign to you, which is far from you, and which has to be reached by you. You are always in that state. You forget it, and identify yourself with the mind and its creation. To cease to identify yourself with the mind is all that is required. 

Bhagavan said, “Everybody will go after only what gives happiness to him. Thinking that happiness comes from some object or other, you go after it. See from whence all happiness,including the happiness you regard as coming from sense objects, really comes. You will understand all happiness comes only from the Self, and then you will always abide in the Self.”

Source: DAY BY DAY WITH BHAGAVAN From the Diary of A. DEVARAJA MUDALIAR

-- Love And Love Alone

Om Namo Bhagavate Sri RamanayaPrasanth Jalasutram

Guest guest

Dear Prasanth

tku for this wonderful helpful reminder

in Sri Ramana Maharshi

michael

-

Prasanth Jalasutram

undisclosed-recipients:

Saturday, August 01, 2009 10:45 PM

Ramana Maharshi's answer to Materialists who say there is no such thing as God or Self

17-8-46This morning, a number of Gujerati visitors arrived here,evidently returning from Pondicherry, after darshan there on the 15th. One of them asked Bhagavan, “What is meant by Self-realisation? Materialists say there is no such thing as God or Self.” Bhagavan said, “Never mind what the materialists or others say; and don’t bother about Self or God. Do you exist or not? What is your idea of yourself? What do you mean by ‘I’?”The visitor said he did not understand by ‘I’ his body, but something within his body.Thereupon, Bhagavan continued,“You concede ‘I’ is not the body but something within it. See then from whence the ‘I’ arises within the body. See whether it arises and disappears, or is always present.You will admit there is an ‘I’ which emerges as soon as you wake up, sees the body,the world and all else, and ceases to exist when you sleep; and that there is another ‘I’ which exists apart from the body, independently of it, and which alone is with you when the body and the world do not exist for you, as for instance in sleep. Then ask yourself if you are not the same ‘I’ during sleep and during the other states. Are there two ‘I’s? You are the same one person always. Now, which can be real, the ‘I’ which comes and goes, or the ‘I’ which always abides? Then you will know that you are the Self. This is called Self-realisation. Selfrealisation is not however a state which is foreign to you, which is far from you, and which has to be reached by you. You are always in that state. You forget it, and identify yourself with the mind and its creation. To cease to identify yourself with the mind is all that is required. Bhagavan said, “Everybody will go after only what gives happiness to him. Thinking that happiness comes from some object or other, you go after it. See from whence all happiness,including the happiness you regard as coming from sense objects, really comes. You will understand all happiness comes only from the Self, and then you will always abide in the Self.”Source: DAY BY DAY WITH BHAGAVAN From the Diary of A. DEVARAJA MUDALIAR

-- Love And Love AloneOm Namo Bhagavate Sri RamanayaPrasanth Jalasutram

Checked by AVG - www.avg.com Version: 8.5.392 / Virus Database: 270.13.39/2275 - Release 08/01/09 09:38:00

Guest guest

Hello Prasanth,

Thank you for the wonderful posting. This posting indicates the very essence of

the goal of our life, though the sadhana is not easy at all for me. I have to

remind myself every moment to search and search and search for the root of this

illusive I! Praying for HIS Grace for all!

in His Prayers,

Purnima

, " Michael Bindel " <michael.bindel

wrote:

>

> Dear Prasanth

>

> tku for this wonderful helpful reminder

>

> in Sri Ramana Maharshi

>

> michael

>

>

> -

> Prasanth Jalasutram

> undisclosed-recipients:

> Saturday, August 01, 2009 10:45 PM

> Ramana Maharshi's answer to

Materialists who say there is no such thing as God or Self

>

>

>

> 17-8-46

>

> This morning, a number of Gujerati visitors arrived here,evidently returning

from Pondicherry, after darshan there on the 15th. One of them asked Bhagavan,

" What is meant by Self-realisation? Materialists say there is no such thing as

God or Self. "

>

> Bhagavan said, " Never mind what the materialists or others say; and don't

bother about Self or God. Do you exist or not? What is your idea of yourself?

What do you mean by `I'? "

>

> The visitor said he did not understand by `I' his body, but something within

his body.

>

> Thereupon, Bhagavan continued, " You concede `I' is not the body but something

within it. See then from whence the `I' arises within the body. See whether it

arises and disappears, or is always present.You will admit there is an `I' which

emerges as soon as you wake up, sees the body,the world and all else, and ceases

to exist when you sleep; and that there is another `I' which exists apart from

the body, independently of it, and which alone is with you when the body and the

world do not exist for you, as for instance in sleep.

>

> Then ask yourself if you are not the same `I' during sleep and during the

other states. Are there two `I's? You are the same one person always. Now, which

can be real, the `I' which comes and goes, or the `I' which always abides? Then

you will know that you are the Self. This is called Self-realisation.

>

>

> Selfrealisation is not however a state which is foreign to you, which is far

from you, and which has to be reached by you. You are always in that state. You

forget it, and identify yourself with the mind and its creation. To cease to

identify yourself with the mind is all that is required.

>

> Bhagavan said, " Everybody will go after only what gives happiness to him.

Thinking that happiness comes from some object or other, you go after it. See

from whence all happiness,including the happiness you regard as coming from

sense objects, really comes. You will understand all happiness comes only from

the Self, and then you will always abide in the Self. "

>

> Source: DAY BY DAY WITH BHAGAVAN From the Diary of A. DEVARAJA MUDALIAR

>

> --

> Love And Love Alone

>

> Om Namo Bhagavate Sri Ramanaya

> Prasanth Jalasutram