IndiaDivine.org

FAITH

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Help me to make the giant Kierkegaardian* leap,

Pole vault over rigid Reason. and all doubt, keep

Under lock and key; forego ego’s vain dispute,

Enter bravely into firm, resolute Faith Absolute!

Take the Excalibur sword of focussed attention

Then with adoration and strong, deep intention,

Dive down into the oceanic  bed of the heart,

Find ego’s source, pearl fisher’s precious art.

Cut the binding knot, and end paranoiac mind!

Halt mad fancy from driving one spiritually blind.

Total surrender of self, will turns Earth into Bliss,

Such is the blessing of our Master's loving kiss.

Greet golden morn like a new babe freshly born

Rest secure, on the breast of Divine Mother Dawn.

*Famed 19thc. Christian theologian who advocated a gigantic

leap into Faith as the only remedy for

human despair and anxiety, along with an intense inward

turning  towards the ‘kingdom of heaven’

Guest guest

---- Original message ----

>Date:   Thu, 6 Aug 2009 03:55:52 +0000 (GMT)

>   Alan Jacobs <alanadamsjacobs

>Subject:   FAITH

>To:  

>

>

>

> Help me to make the giant Kierkegaardian* leap,

> Pole vault over rigid Reason. and all doubt, keep

> Under lock and key; forego ego’s vain dispute,

> Enter bravely into firm, resolute Faith Absolute!

>

> Take the Excalibur sword of focussed attention

> Then with adoration and strong, deep intention,

> Dive down into the oceanic  bed of the heart,

> Find ego’s source, pearl fisher’s precious art.

>

> Cut the binding knot, and end paranoiac mind!

> Halt mad fancy from driving one spiritually blind.

> Total surrender of self, will turns Earth into

> Bliss,

> Such is the blessing of our Master's loving kiss.

> Greet golden morn like a new babe freshly born

> Rest secure, on the breast of Divine Mother Dawn.

>

> *Famed 19thc. Christian theologian who advocated a

> gigantic

> leap into Faith as the only remedy for

> human despair and anxiety, along with an intense

> inward

> turning  towards the ‘kingdom of heaven’

>

:) alan my friend, the excalibur of your intelect does not cease

to amaze and delight me, much as alan pictures... thanks for the

pleasure, friends!

gratefully,

yosy

Guest guest

Dear Yosy,

Any appreciation from a fellow Poet is always valued. Although our styles are different I love your poems too, they always hit the mark- bang , or should I say boom, on!.

All best wishes in every respect and love

Alan--- On Thu, 6/8/09, yosyflug <yosyflug wrote:

yosyflug <yosyflugRe: FAITH Date: Thursday, 6 August, 2009, 2:51 PM

---- Original message ---- > Thu, 6 Aug 2009 03:55:52 +0000 (GMT) > Alan Jacobs <alanadamsjacobs@ .co. uk> > FAITH > > > > > Help me to make the giant Kierkegaardian* leap, > Pole vault over rigid Reason. and all doubt, keep > Under lock and key; forego ego’s vain dispute, > Enter bravely into firm, resolute Faith Absolute! > > Take the Excalibur sword of focussed attention >

Then with adoration and strong, deep intention, > Dive down into the oceanic bed of the heart, > Find ego’s source, pearl fisher’s precious art. > > Cut the binding knot, and end paranoiac mind! > Halt mad fancy from driving one spiritually blind. > Total surrender of self, will turns Earth into > Bliss, > Such is the blessing of our Master's loving kiss. > Greet golden morn like a new babe freshly born > Rest secure, on the breast of Divine Mother Dawn. > > *Famed 19thc. Christian theologian who advocated a > gigantic > leap into Faith as the only remedy for > human despair and anxiety, along with an intense > inward > turning towards the ‘kingdom of heaven’ > :) alan my friend, the excalibur of your intelect does not cease to amaze and delight me, much as alan pictures... thanks for the

pleasure, friends! gratefully, yosy

Guest guest

, Alan Jacobs <alanadamsjacobs wrote:

>Not much on poetry, but I like this one. " Pole vault over rigid reason " .

Reminds me of a quote in today's NY Times crossword, " Life has no meaning the

moment you lose the illusion of being eternal " by Jean Paul Sartre. This is the

dead end of reason. I am very cautious not to damage the illusion of eternity

when I speak to believers. This illusion is a very precious thing not to be

tampered with.

" The Excalibur sword " in Maharshi's case as in mine was the all-consuming fear

of death. It forces one to " Dive down " to seize control of the " Paranoiac mind " .

One's control of the mind is the key to the kingdom. The bliss and joy of being

that accompany are wonderful, still one must hew wood and carry water, but now

one gets to hew a choice of wood and water.

Poor Sartre, so close and yet so far.

>

>

>

> Help me to make the giant Kierkegaardian* leap,

> Pole vault over rigid Reason. and all doubt, keep

> Under lock and key; forego ego’s vain dispute,

> Enter bravely into firm, resolute Faith Absolute!

>

> Take the Excalibur sword of focussed attention

> Then with adoration and strong, deep intention,

> Dive down into the oceanic  bed of the heart,

> Find ego’s source, pearl fisher’s precious art.

>

> Cut the binding knot, and end paranoiac mind!

> Halt mad fancy from driving one spiritually blind.

> Total surrender of self, will turns Earth into Bliss,

> Such is the blessing of our Master's loving kiss.

> Greet golden morn like a new babe freshly born

> Rest secure, on the breast of Divine Mother Dawn.

>

>

> *Famed 19thc. Christian theologian who advocated a gigantic

> leap into Faith as the only remedy for

> human despair and anxiety, along with an intense inward

> turning  towards the ‘kingdom of heaven’

>

Guest guest

Dear Dave,

Thanks for your considered comments. Very much appreciated. Yes, Western Philosophers seem to miss the mark. Schopenhauer seems to have come closest to the truth, in my opinion.

All best wishes and warm regards,

Alan--- On Sun, 9/8/09, Dave Mahar <davemahar wrote:

Dave Mahar <davemahar Re: FAITH Date: Sunday, 9 August, 2009, 6:20 AM

, Alan Jacobs <alanadamsjacobs@ ...> wrote:>Not much on poetry, but I like this one. "Pole vault over rigid reason". Reminds me of a quote in today's NY Times crossword, "Life has no meaning the moment you lose the illusion of being eternal" by Jean Paul Sartre. This is the dead end of reason. I am very cautious not to damage the illusion of eternity when I speak to believers. This illusion is a very precious thing not to be tampered with. "The Excalibur sword " in Maharshi's case as in mine was the all-consuming fear of death. It forces one to "Dive down" to seize control of the "Paranoiac mind". One's control of the mind is the key to the kingdom. The bliss and joy of being that accompany are wonderful, still one must hew wood

and carry water, but now one gets to hew a choice of wood and water.Poor Sartre, so close and yet so far. > > > > Help me to make the giant Kierkegaardian* leap,> Pole vault over rigid Reason. and all doubt, keep> Under lock and key; forego ego’s vain dispute,> Enter bravely into firm, resolute Faith Absolute!> > Take the Excalibur sword of focussed attention> Then with adoration and strong, deep intention,> Dive down into the oceanic bed of the heart,> Find ego’s source, pearl fisher’s precious art.> > Cut the binding knot, and end paranoiac mind!> Halt mad fancy from driving one spiritually blind.> Total surrender of self, will turns Earth into Bliss,> Such is the blessing of our Master's loving kiss. > Greet golden morn like a new babe freshly born> Rest secure, on the breast of Divine

Mother Dawn.> > > *Famed 19thc. Christian theologian who advocated a gigantic> leap into Faith as the only remedy for> human despair and anxiety, along with an intense inward> turning towards the ‘kingdom of heaven’>

Guest guest

"What is the use of letters to those lettered folk who do not seek to wipe out the letters of Fate by inquiring, Whence are we born?" What else are they but gramaphones, O Lord of Arunachala? They learn and repeat words without realizing their meaning."

p136, verse 35, The Collected Works of Ramana Maharshi

Alan Jacobs <alanadamsjacobs Sent: Sunday, August 9, 2009 4:11:16 AMRe: Re: FAITH

Dear Dave,

Thanks for your considered comments. Very much appreciated. Yes, Western Philosophers seem to miss the mark. Schopenhauer seems to have come closest to the truth, in my opinion.

Alan--- On Sun, 9/8/09, Dave Mahar <davemahar@sbcglobal .net> wrote:

Dave Mahar <davemahar@sbcglobal .net> Re: FAITHSunday, 9 August, 2009, 6:20 AM

, Alan Jacobs <alanadamsjacobs@ ...> wrote:>Not much on poetry, but I like this one. "Pole vault over rigid reason". Reminds me of a quote in today's NY Times crossword, "Life has no meaning the moment you lose the illusion of being eternal" by Jean Paul Sartre. This is the dead end of reason. I am very cautious not to damage the illusion of eternity when I speak to believers. This illusion is a very precious thing not to be tampered with. "The Excalibur sword " in Maharshi's case as in mine was the all-consuming fear of death. It forces one to "Dive down" to seize control of the "Paranoiac mind". One's control of the mind is the key to the kingdom. The bliss and joy of being that accompany are wonderful, still one must hew wood and carry water, but now one gets to hew a choice

of wood and water.Poor Sartre, so close and yet so far. > > > > Help me to make the giant Kierkegaardian* leap,> Pole vault over rigid Reason. and all doubt, keep> Under lock and key; forego ego’s vain dispute,> Enter bravely into firm, resolute Faith Absolute!> > Take the Excalibur sword of focussed attention> Then with adoration and strong, deep intention,> Dive down into the oceanic bed of the heart,> Find ego’s source, pearl fisher’s precious art.> > Cut the binding knot, and end paranoiac mind!> Halt mad fancy from driving one spiritually blind.> Total surrender of self, will turns Earth into Bliss,> Such is the blessing of our Master's loving kiss. > Greet golden morn like a new babe freshly born> Rest secure, on the breast of Divine Mother Dawn.> > > *Famed

19thc. Christian theologian who advocated a gigantic> leap into Faith as the only remedy for> human despair and anxiety, along with an intense inward> turning towards the ‘kingdom of heaven’>

Guest guest

VivekachudamaniThis work by Shankaracharya, together with the Drik Drishya Viveka, was translated into Tamil prose by Bhagavan while he was still living in Virupaksha Cave. It is a very free translation, even the order of the paragraphs being changed to some extent.Introduction (Sri Bhagavan)Every being in the world yearns to be always happy and free from the taint of sorrow, and desires to get rid of bodily allments, etc, which are not of its true nature. Further, everyone cherishes the greatest love for himself, and this love is not possible in the absence of happiness. In deep sleep, though devoid of everything, one has the experience of being happy. Yet, due to the ignorance of the real nature of one's own being, which is happiness itself, people flunder in the vast ocean of material existence, forsaking the right path that leads to happiness, and act under the mistaken belief tht the way to be happy considsts in obtaining

the pleasures of this and the other world.Unfortunately, however, there is no such happiness which has not the taint of sorrow. It is precisely for the purpose of pointing out the straight path to true happiness that Lord Siva, taking on the guise of Sri Shankaracharya, wrote the commentaries on the Triple Canon (Prasthana Traya) of the Vedanta, which extol by the excellence of this bliss; and that he demonstrated it by his own example in life. These commentaries, hoever, are of little use to those ardent seekers who are intent upon realizing the bliss of liberation but have not the scholarship necessary for studying them.It is for such as these that Sri Shankara revealed the essence of the commentaries in this short treatise, The Crown Gem of Discrimination, explaining in detail the points that have to be grasped by those who seek liberation, and thereby directing them to the true and direct path. Sri Shankara begins by

observing that it is hard indeed to attain human birth, and that, having attained it, one should strive to achieve the bliss of liberation, which is really only the nature of one's being. By jnana of Spiritual knowledge alone, is this Bilss to be realized, and jnana is achieved only through vechara or steady enquiry. In order to learn this method of enquiry, says Sri Shankara, one should seek the grace of a guru, and he then proceeds to describe the qualitites of the guru and his disciple and how the latter should approach and serve his master. He further emphasizes that in order ot realize the bliss of liberation one's own individual effort is an essential factor. Mere book learning never yields this bliss; it can be realized only through Self-enquiry or vichara, which consits of sravana or devoted attention to the percepts of the guu, manana or dep contemplation and nididhyasana or cultivation of equanimity in the Self.The three bodies, are

non-self and are unreal. The Self, that is the aham or 'I' is quite different from them. It is due to ignorance that the sense of Self or the 'I' notion is foisted on that which is not Self, and this indeed is bondage. Since from ignorance arises bondage, from knowledge ensues liberation. To know this from the gur is sravana. The process of manana, which is subtle enquiry of deep contemplation, consits in rejecting the three bodies consisting of the five sheaths (physical, vital, mental, intellectual, and blissful), as not 'I' and discovering through subtle enquiry of 'Who am I" that which is different from all three and exists single and universal in the heart as aham or 'I', just as a stalk of grass is delicately drawn out from its sheath. This 'I' is denoted by the word tvam (In the scriptural dictum, Tat-tvam-asi, 'That thou art').The world of name and form is but an adjunct of tat or Brahman and, having no separate reality, is

rejected as unreality and affirmed as nothing else but Brahman. The instruction of the disciple by the Guru in the Mahavakya Tat-tvam-asi, which declares the identity of the Self and the Supreme, is this upadesa (spiritual guidance). The disciple is then enjoined to remain in the beatific state aham-Brahman, (I-the Absolute). Nevertheless, the old tendencies of the mind sprout up thick and strong and constitute an obsruction. These tendencies are threefold and ego is their root. The ego flourishes in the externalized and differntiating consciousness caused by the forces of prjection due to rajas and veiling due to tamas. To fix the mind firmly in the heart until these forces are destroyed and to awaken with unserving, ceaseless vigilance the true and cognate tendency which is characteristic of the atman and is expressed by say: Aha Bramasmi (I am Brahman), and Brahmaivaham (Brahman alone am I) is termed nididhyasana or atmanusandhana, that is

contancy in the Self. This is otherwise called bhakti, yoga and dhyana.Atmanusandhana has been compared to churning curds in order to make butter, the mind being compared to the churn, the heart to the curds, and the practice of concentration on the Self to the process of churning. Just as butter is made by churning the curds and fire by friction, so the natural and changeless state of nirvikalpa samadhi is produced by unswerving vigilant concentration on the Self, ceaseless, like the unbroken flow of oil. This readily and spontaneously yields that direct, immediate, unobstructed, and universal perception of Brahman, which is at once knowledge and experience and which trancends time and space.This perception is Self Realization. Achieving it cuts the knot of the heart. The false delusions of ignorance, the vicious and age-long tendencies of the mind which constitute this knot are destroyed. All doubts are dispelled and the bondage of

karma is severed. Thus in this Crown Gem of Discrimination Sri Shankara has described samadhi or spiritual trance which is the limitless bliss of liberation, beyond doubt and duality, and at the same time has indicated the means for its attainment. To attain this state of freedom from duality is the ral purpose of life, and only he who has done so is a jivanmukta, liberated while yet alive, not one who has a mere theoretical understanding of what constitutes purushartha or the desired end and aim of human endeavour. Thus defining a jivanmukta, Sri Shankara declares him to be free from the bonds of threefold karma (sanchita, agami and prarabdha). The disciple attains this state and then relates his personal experience. He who is leberated is indeed free to act as he pleases, and when he leaves the body, he abides in leberation and never returns to this brith, which is death.Sri Shankara thus describes realization, that is

liberation, as twofold, jivanmukti and videhamukti, as explained above. Moreover, in this short treatise, written in the form of a dialogue beteen a guru and his disciple, he has considered many other relevant topics. (By courtesy of the Sunday Times, Madras.)The Collected Works of Ramana Maharshi

Rafe Stoneman <rafaelstoneman Sent: Sunday, August 9, 2009 12:36:17 PMRe: Re: FAITH

"What is the use of letters to those lettered folk who do not seek to wipe out the letters of Fate by inquiring, Whence are we born?" What else are they but gramaphones, O Lord of Arunachala? They learn and repeat words without realizing their meaning."

p136, verse 35, The Collected Works of Ramana Maharshi

Alan Jacobs <alanadamsjacobs@ .co. .uk>Sunday, August 9, 2009 4:11:16 AMRe: Re: FAITH

Dear Dave,

Alan--- On Sun, 9/8/09, Dave Mahar <davemahar@sbcglobal .net> wrote:

Dave Mahar <davemahar@sbcglobal .net> Re: FAITHSunday, 9 August, 2009, 6:20 AM

, Alan Jacobs <alanadamsjacobs@ ...> wrote:>Not much on poetry, but I like this one. "Pole vault over rigid reason". Reminds me of a quote in today's NY Times crossword, "Life has no meaning the moment you lose the illusion of being eternal" by Jean Paul Sartre. This is the dead end of reason. I am very cautious not to damage the illusion of eternity when I speak to believers. This illusion is a very precious thing not to be tampered with. "The Excalibur sword " in Maharshi's case as in mine was the all-consuming fear of death. It forces one to "Dive down" to seize control of the "Paranoiac mind". One's control of the mind is the key to the kingdom. The bliss and joy of being that accompany are wonderful, still one must hew wood and carry water, but now one gets to hew a choice

of wood and water.Poor Sartre, so close and yet so far. > > > > Help me to make the giant Kierkegaardian* leap,> Pole vault over rigid Reason. and all doubt, keep> Under lock and key; forego ego’s vain dispute,> Enter bravely into firm, resolute Faith Absolute!> > Take the Excalibur sword of focussed attention> Then with adoration and strong, deep intention,> Dive down into the oceanic bed of the heart,> Find ego’s source, pearl fisher’s precious art.> > Cut the binding knot, and end paranoiac mind!> Halt mad fancy from driving one spiritually blind.> Total surrender of self, will turns Earth into Bliss,> Such is the blessing of our Master's loving kiss. > Greet golden morn like a new babe freshly born> Rest secure, on the breast of Divine Mother Dawn.> > > *Famed

19thc. Christian theologian who advocated a gigantic> leap into Faith as the only remedy for> human despair and anxiety, along with an intense inward> turning towards the ‘kingdom of heaven’>

Guest guest

I am very new to this group and will not be posting much at first because I am

so new to the teachings. But I wanted to say that I too saw that Sartre quote in

the NYTimes crossword puzzle and reflected on it in light of what (little) I

know of the Bhagavan's teachings. I love this poem as well.

Audrey

, " Dave Mahar " <davemahar wrote:

>

> , Alan Jacobs <alanadamsjacobs@> wrote:

> >Not much on poetry, but I like this one. " Pole vault over rigid reason " .

Reminds me of a quote in today's NY Times crossword, " Life has no meaning the

moment you lose the illusion of being eternal " by Jean Paul Sartre. This is the

dead end of reason. I am very cautious not to damage the illusion of eternity

when I speak to believers. This illusion is a very precious thing not to be

tampered with.

> " The Excalibur sword " in Maharshi's case as in mine was the all-consuming

fear of death. It forces one to " Dive down " to seize control of the " Paranoiac

mind " . One's control of the mind is the key to the kingdom. The bliss and joy of

being that accompany are wonderful, still one must hew wood and carry water, but

now one gets to hew a choice of wood and water.

> Poor Sartre, so close and yet so far.

> >

> >

> >

> > Help me to make the giant Kierkegaardian* leap,

> > Pole vault over rigid Reason. and all doubt, keep

> > Under lock and key; forego ego’s vain dispute,

> > Enter bravely into firm, resolute Faith Absolute!

> >

> > Take the Excalibur sword of focussed attention

> > Then with adoration and strong, deep intention,

> > Dive down into the oceanic  bed of the heart,

> > Find ego’s source, pearl fisher’s precious art.

> >

> > Cut the binding knot, and end paranoiac mind!

> > Halt mad fancy from driving one spiritually blind.

> > Total surrender of self, will turns Earth into Bliss,

> > Such is the blessing of our Master's loving kiss.

> > Greet golden morn like a new babe freshly born

> > Rest secure, on the breast of Divine Mother Dawn.

> >

> >

> > *Famed 19thc. Christian theologian who advocated a gigantic

> > leap into Faith as the only remedy for

> > human despair and anxiety, along with an intense inward

> > turning  towards the ‘kingdom of heaven’

> >

>