IndiaDivine.org

Ramana Maharsi likes things which cost very little

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Some rich people brought a silver cup, saucer and spoon and placing them reverentially before him, said, “Bhagavan, please use these when you take any liquid food.” Bhagavan examined the things and passed them on to his attendants. As the attendants were placing them in the bureau in the hall, he objected and said, “Why there? Let them be kept in the office itself.” “They were given for Bhagavan’s use, were they not?” said a devotee. “Yes,” replied Bhagavan, “but those are things used by rich people. What use can they be to us? If required, we have our own cups and spoons. We can use them — why these?” So saying, Bhagavan told his attendant, “Look, from tomorrow we will use our own cups. Take them out.” 

A devotee asked, “What are those cups,Bhagavan?” “Oh! Those cups are made of coconut shells,smoothed and preserved. They are our cups and spoons. They are our own. If we use them the purpose is served. Please keep the silver articles carefully elsewhere,” said Bhagavan. “Are not those silver articles Bhagavan’s own?” asked the devotee. Bhagavan said with a laugh, “Yes, they are. But tell me, why all this ostentation for us? They are costly. Should we be careless, some one might steal them.So they must be guarded. Is that the job for Swami? 

About the same time, a devotee brought a nice walking stick with a silver handle, and presented it to Bhagavan. Turning it this side and that, and examining it, Bhagavan remarked to the devotee, “Good. It is very nice. Please use it carefully.” “But it is not for my use,” he said. “I have brought it thinking that Bhagavan would use it.” “What an idea!” exclaimed Bhagavan. “A nice walking stick with a silver handle should be used only by officials like you. Why for me? Look, I have my own walking stick. That is enough,” concluded Bhagavan.

As a rule, Bhagavan does not use costly things. He likes things which do not cost even a paisa.Source: Letters from and Recollections of Sri Ramanasramam Book

-- Love And Love Alone

Om Namo Bhagavate Sri RamanayaPrasanth Jalasutram