IndiaDivine.org

The Breath of Life: Anandamayi Ma and Bhagavan's Teaching on the Breath

Rate this topic

Guest guest

--- On Sat, 22/8/09, Swami Sadasivananda <sadasivananda wrote:

THE BREATH OF LIFE

ANANDAMAYI MA'S TEACHING IN HER OWN WORDS TRANSLATED BY ATMANANDA

Through breath energy, Consciousness pervades Matter. Everything that is alive breathes. When breath stops, you die. Physical life depends on breath. Through prana, matter becomes alive. Desires and wandering mind make the breath impure. Therefore, I advise the practice of concentration on breathing combined with taking any one of God’s Names. If the breath and the mind become one-pointed and steady, then the mind expands to infinity, and all phenomena are included in that one all-inclusive point. If you think of God with the breath it will purify the prana, the physical sheath and the mind. If you breathe while thinking of God’s Name, you will feel the call of His grace.

The Self, or God is unknowable to the ordinary intelligence, but He is not unknown to us as the life-breath. If one uses the rhythm of one’s breathing as a support in meditation, this increases one’s power. Therefore, one should daily sit in a meditative pose in a solitary place and turn the mind inward, and repeat the mantra in rhythm with one’s breathing, without straining, in a natural way. When through prolonged practice, the Name becomes inextricably linked with the breath, and the body is quite still; one will come to realize that the individual is part of the One Great Life that pervades the Universe.

SELF - ENQUIRY (VICHARASANGRAHAM) OF

BHAGAVAN SRI RAMANA MAHARSHI

D: Of the means for mind-control, which is the most important?

M: Breath-control is the means for mind-control. (verse 21)

D: How is breath-control the means for mind-control?

M: There is no doubt that breath-control is the means for mind-control, because the mind, like breath, is a part of air, because the nature of mobility is common to both, because the place of origin is the same for both, and because when one of them is controlled the other gets controlled. (verse 25)

D: Why should the path to release be differently taught? Will it not create confusion in the minds of aspirants?

M: Several paths are taught in the Vedas to suit the different grades of qualified aspirants. Yet, since release is but the destruction of mind, all efforts have for their aim the control of mind. Although the modes of meditation may appear to be different from one another, in the end all of them become one. There is no need to doubt this. One may adopt that path which suits the maturity of one’s mind. (verse 36)

-- Teachings of Bhagavan Sri Ramana Maharshi web site: http://www.ramanateaching.orgAsk your question in relation to Bhagavan's teachings, meditation and spirituality at: http://www.ramanateaching.org/faqTo contact Swami Sadasivananda:http://www.ramanateaching.org/contact..html

Almost three years ago while my teacher was still here

in the body I happened to be close by for about nine months.

The number of times I was able to see her was about

ten times in almost a year, not very much.

At a point I decided to go every day for a week, but

every time something came in the way.

I was working from a ‘home office’ and fixing a house at the same

time.

In the beginning of learning Yoga breathing was an important

part of my efforts.

Here is a link to some words about meeting her.

picture-of-bhagavan-by-alan-larus

So as there are people who easily fall into the right

way to breathe,

others must work to sort out a lock or knot between

breath and mind.

And as I belonged to this last kind a patient teacher was needed.

Now this went very well, I did learn quite a lot, and breathing had not been

mentioned for many years.

On one of these last visits she was staying in the

nursing home because the water pipes in her hose had frozen.

I arrived in the afternoon and she sat in the room

with the senile people and told me they were more sane than the others.

After a short while she fell asleep, and I was a

little disappointed, but decided to sit for a while and closed my eyes.

First I got a strong feeling she was awake, but she

clearly was deep asleep, ( it was easy to see when somebody is a hundred years

old ).

Then suddenly thinking and breathing was one and the same,

flowing along like a slow and quiet river.

Incredible, something like this turning out to be like

child’s play, without any concentration or effort at all.

Afterwards I remembered something she said about thirty

years earlier, ‘ It is not only by effort, you also have to get it’.

Back then I did not have any idea really of what to

get.

And this has given me the opportunity to explain a

verse I wrote and posted at the time along with two very nice pictures I found.

Since as I left the nightlights turned on:

http://www.ferryfee.com/Bluesky/Nitelight.htm

Alan

---- Original message ----

>Sun, 23 Aug 2009 04:23:22 +0200

>Alan <alan

>Re: Re: The Breath of Life: Anandamayi

Ma and Bhagavan's Teaching on the Breath

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Almost three years ago while my teacher was still

> here in the body I happened to be close by for about

> nine months.

>

> The number of times I was able to see her was about

> ten times in almost a year, not very much.

>

> At a point I decided to go every day for a week, but

> every time something came in the way.

> I was working from a `home office' and fixing a

> house at the same time.

>

>

>

> In the beginning of learning Yoga breathing was an

> important part of my efforts.

>

> Here is a link to some words about meeting her.

>

>

>

> picture-of-bhagavan-by-alan-larus

>

>

>

> So as there are people who easily fall into the

> right way to breathe,

>

> others must work to sort out a lock or knot between

> breath and mind.

> And as I belonged to this last kind a patient

> teacher was needed.

>

> Now this went very well, I did learn quite a lot,

> and breathing had not been mentioned for many years.

>

> On one of these last visits she was staying in the

> nursing home because the water pipes in her hose had

> frozen.

>

> I arrived in the afternoon and she sat in the room

> with the senile people and told me they were more

> sane than the others.

>

>

>

> After a short while she fell asleep, and I was a

> little disappointed, but decided to sit for a while

> and closed my eyes.

>

> First I got a strong feeling she was awake, but she

> clearly was deep asleep, ( it was easy to see when

> somebody is a hundred years old ).

>

> Then suddenly thinking and breathing was one and the

> same, flowing along like a slow and quiet river.

>

> Incredible, something like this turning out to be

> like child's play, without any concentration or

> effort at all.

>

>

>

> Afterwards I remembered something she said about

> thirty years earlier, ` It is not only by effort,

> you also have to get it'.

>

> Back then I did not have any idea really of what to

> get.

>

>

>

> And this has given me the opportunity to explain a

> verse I wrote and posted at the time along with two

> very nice pictures I found.

>

> Since as I left the nightlights turned on:

>

>

>

>

>

> http://www.ferryfee.com/Bluesky/Nitelight.htm

>

>

>

Alan

>

great. alan, you a credit to your esteemed tacher,

and i am grateful to her for having the priviledge

of enjoying the wonderful visual insights you share

with us. thanks!

yosy

Dear Alan,

I completely agree with Yosy's comments. They are my feelings too. All love,

and thanks for your generous sharing,

The other Alan--- On Sun, 23/8/09, yosyflug <yosyflug wrote:

yosyflug <yosyflugRe: Re: The Breath of Life: Anandamayi Ma and Bhagavan's Teaching on the Breath Date: Sunday, 23 August, 2009, 3:49 AM

---- Original message ---->Sun, 23 Aug 2009 04:23:22 +0200>Alan <alan (AT) ferryfee (DOT) com> >Re: Re: The Breath of Life: Anandamayi Ma and Bhagavan's Teaching on the Breath >>> >> >> Almost three years ago while my teacher was still> here in the body I happened to be close by for about> nine months.>> The number of times I was able to see her was about> ten times in almost a year, not very much.>> At a point I decided to go every day

for a week, but> every time something came in the way.> I was working from a `home office' and fixing a> house at the same time.>> >> In the beginning of learning Yoga breathing was an> important part of my efforts. >> Here is a link to some words about meeting her.>> >> http://luthar. com/picture- of-bhagavan- by-alan-larus>> >> So as there are people who easily fall into the> right way to breathe,>> others must work to sort out a lock or knot between> breath and mind.> And as I belonged to this last kind a patient> teacher was needed.>> Now this went very well, I did learn quite a lot,> and breathing had not been mentioned for many years.>> On one of these last

visits she was staying in the> nursing home because the water pipes in her hose had> frozen.>> I arrived in the afternoon and she sat in the room> with the senile people and told me they were more> sane than the others.>> >> After a short while she fell asleep, and I was a> little disappointed, but decided to sit for a while> and closed my eyes.>> First I got a strong feeling she was awake, but she> clearly was deep asleep, ( it was easy to see when> somebody is a hundred years old ).>> Then suddenly thinking and breathing was one and the> same, flowing along like a slow and quiet river.>> Incredible, something like this turning out to be> like child's play, without any concentration or> effort at all.>> >> Afterwards I remembered something she said about>

thirty years earlier, ` It is not only by effort,> you also have to get it'.>> Back then I did not have any idea really of what to> get. >> >> And this has given me the opportunity to explain a> verse I wrote and posted at the time along with two> very nice pictures I found.>> Since as I left the nightlights turned on:>> >> >> http://www.ferryfee .com/Bluesky/ Nitelight. htm>> >> >> >> >> Alan>great. alan, you a credit to your esteemed tacher, and i am grateful to her for having the priviledge of enjoying the wonderful visual insights you share with us. thanks! yosy

A "mandala"...the sacred flower of light...beautiful Alan!--- On Sun, 8/23/09, Alan <alan wrote:

Alan <alanRe: Re: The Breath of Life: Anandamayi Ma and Bhagavan's Teaching on the Breath Received: Sunday, August 23, 2009, 2:23 AM

Almost three years ago while my teacher was still here in the body I happened to be close by for about nine months.

The number of times I was able to see her was about ten times in almost a year, not very much.

At a point I decided to go every day for a week, but every time something came in the way.I was working from a ‘home office’ and fixing a house at the same time.

In the beginning of learning Yoga breathing was an important part of my efforts.

Here is a link to some words about meeting her.

http://luthar. com/picture- of-bhagavan- by-alan-larus

So as there are people who easily fall into the right way to breathe,

others must work to sort out a lock or knot between breath and mind. And as I belonged to this last kind a patient teacher was needed.Now this went very well, I did learn quite a lot, and breathing had not been mentioned for many years.

On one of these last visits she was staying in the nursing home because the water pipes in her hose had frozen.

I arrived in the afternoon and she sat in the room with the senile people and told me they were more sane than the others.

After a short while she fell asleep, and I was a little disappointed, but decided to sit for a while and closed my eyes.

First I got a strong feeling she was awake, but she clearly was deep asleep, ( it was easy to see when somebody is a hundred years old ).

Then suddenly thinking and breathing was one and the same, flowing along like a slow and quiet river.

Incredible, something like this turning out to be like child’s play, without any concentration or effort at all.

Afterwards I remembered something she said about thirty years earlier, ‘ It is not only by effort, you also have to get it’.

Back then I did not have any idea really of what to get.

And this has given me the opportunity to explain a verse I wrote and posted at the time along with two very nice pictures I found.

Since as I left the nightlights turned on:

http://www.ferryfee .com/Bluesky/ Nitelight. htm

Alan

Make your browsing faster, safer, and easier with the new Internet Explorer® 8. Optimized for Get it Now for Free!