[Poetry Chaikhana] Lalla (Lal Ded) - Intense cold makes water ice

Rate this topic

Guest guest

from Ivan--- On Wed, 26/8/09, Poetry Chaikhana <ivan wrote:

Here's your Daily Poem from the Poetry Chaikhana --

Intense cold makes water ice

By Lalla (Lal Ded)(14th Century)

English version by Coleman Barks

Intense cold makes water ice.Then the hard ice turns to slushand back to water, so there are threeforms of consciousness: the individual,the world, and God, which in the sunof True Awareness melt to one flowing:Lalla is that.In meditation, I entered the love furnace,burned impurities away, and as the sunof a new knowing rose, I realizedthat the words "Lalla" and "God"point to this peacefulness.

-- from Naked Song, by Lalla / Translated by Coleman Barks

Amazon.com / Photo by net_efekt /

============

Thought for the Day:

The goal of the ego is not perfection.It's ultimate goal is to fade awayin order to reveal the inherent perfectionalready present..

============

Here's your Daily Music selection --

Akram Khan

The Tabla Series

Listen / Purchase

More Music Selections

Hi Alan -I spent most of my growing up years in Los Angeles -- endless city, and no winters. I remember the one time as a child when the temperature dropped down to 30 degrees, and I implored the weather gods for snow. But it was not to be. It was Southern California, after all. A little more bundled than usual, I still had to go to school.So when I moved to Colorado as an adult, you can imagine my sense of wonder at the snow each winter. In fact, I lived in some places up in the mountains where the snow would build up until it literally covered part of the ground floor windows. One more reminder for me that, no matter how much we humans construct our own environments, we are still residents within the world of nature, and that natural world is immense, stunningly beautiful, and ignored at our own peril...Intense cold makes water ice.Then the hard ice turns to

slushand back to water...Lalla is giving us a simple spiritual metaphor, but although the intellect can quickly comprehend what she is saying, it's important not to rush past it. Sit with the metaphor for a bit, let the imagery and meaning ferment quietly in your mind.Water becomes solid ice when it is cold enough. It becomes almost rock-like: impenetrable, graspable, tangible... an unavoidable 'thing.' With a little bit of warmth, it starts to melt and becomes a slushy mixture of states, in some ways still seemingly solid, yet a hand can pass through it. When it has fully yielded to the warmth, it is liquid again, fluid, ungraspable, less a 'thing' and more of a filling of space.Even so, all are the same substance: water. There has been no essential change other than the form perceived by the witness; it is a continuum that only appears different....so there are threeforms of consciousness: the

individual,the world, and God, which in the sunof True Awareness melt to one flowingAnd Lalla is reminding us that the individual and God are the same, separate only in apparent form, but in essence it is all one continuum of consciousness. The individual, the world, and God, when seen clearly in the warming sunlight of True Awareness are seen to "melt to one flowing."Lalla is that.Her insight: In that instant of true seeing, we cease to identify ourselves as the individual or ego, and instead recognize ourselves as "that" -- the flowing that moves through the entire spectrum of existence.I realizedthat the words "Lalla" and "God"point to this peacefulness.Reread those last lines, but insert your own name for Lalla's.Have a beautiful day!IvanPS - The "share your thoughts" link should work correctly now.

Share Your Thoughts on today's poem or my commentary...

Share Your Thoughts on today's poem or my commentary...

New on the Poetry Chaikhana BlogIn addition to the daily poem, other recent blog posts include:

Movie - The Drummer - A bored troublemaker from the city joins a Zen drumming troupe and slowly discovers rhythm and stillness. More

Music & Video - One Love Around the World - More

Video: Interview with David Whyte - The central work of my life is to get poetry to as many people as possible in whatever world they live in because it's such a life saver It gives you a language that makes you able for the world, large enough for it, and not to hide from it. - David Whyte More

Support the Poetry Chaikhana

Donations to the Poetry Chaikhana in any amount are always welcome. Thank you!

Click here

You can also support the Poetry Chaikhana, as well as the authors and publishers of sacred poetry, by purchasing some of the recommended books through the links on this site. Thank you!

Click here

A small amount each month makes a big difference. Become a voluntary Subscriber for just $2/mo.

Click here

Help the Poetry Chaikhana reach more people. Become a Supporter for just $10/mo.

Poetry Chaikhana HomeNew | Books | Music | Teahouse | About | ContactPoets by: Name| Tradition | Timeline Poetry by: Theme | CommentaryBlog | Forum | Facebook | Twitter

www.Poetry-Chaikhana.com

Poetry ChaikhanaP.O. Box 2320Boulder, CO 80306

Ivan M. Granger's original poetry, stories and commentaries are 2002 - 2008 by Ivan M. Granger.All other material is copyrighted by the respective authors, translators and/or publishers.

============

Plain Text: If you have any difficulty reading this HTML formatted email, please let me know and I can send you plain text emails instead. Cancelling: If you wish to stop receiving this Daily Poem email from the Poetry Chaikhana, simply reply to this email and change the Subject to "Cancel".