IndiaDivine.org

Three

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Dear Alan,

Beautiful as ever- all Beauty points to the Divine-I loved the mountainous landscape. Thanks again.

Love from the other Alan,

Yours in Bhagavan.--- On Wed, 2/9/09, Alan <alan wrote:

Alan <alan Three Date: Wednesday, 2 September, 2009, 10:25 PM

http://www.ferryfee .com/Bluesky/ Three.html

Alan

Yes I pass here a few times each year, it is closed due to too much snow in the winter, but when I go a month from now there might already be snow and a lot of reindeer there.

Behind the lake seen in the picture is the Gjendin Lake and the long mountain is the Gjendin Edge found in the play Peer Gynt. The opening line is famous.

ACT FIRST

SCENE FIRST

[A wooded hillside near ÅSE's farm. A river rushes down the slope. On the further side of it an old mill shed. It is a hot day in summer.]

[PEER GYNT, a strongly–built youth of twenty, comes down the pathway. His mother, ÅSE, a small, slightly built woman, follows him, scolding angrily.]

Åse

Peer, you're lying!

Peer [without stopping]

No, I am not!

Åse

Well then, swear that it is true!

Peer

Swear? Why should I?

Åse

See, you dare not!It's a lie from first to last.

Peer [stopping]

It is true—each blessed word!

Åse [confronting him]

Don't you blush before your mother?First you skulk among the mountainsmonthlong in the busiest season,stalking reindeer in the snows;home you come then, torn and tattered,gun amissing, likewise game;—and at last, with open eyes,think to get me to believeall the wildest hunters'–lies!—Well, where did you find the buck, then?

Peer

West near Gendin.

Åse [laughing scornfully]

Ah! Indeed!

Peer

Keen the blast towards me swept;hidden by an alder–clump,he was scraping in the snow–crustafter lichen—

Åse [as before]

Doubtless, yes!

Peer

Breathlessly I stood and listened,heard the crunching of his hoof,saw the branches of one antler.Softly then among the bouldersI crept forward on my belly.Crouched in the moraine I peered up;—such a buck, so sleek and fat,you, I'm sure, have ne'er set eyes on.

Åse

No, of course not!

Peer

Bang! I fired!Clean he dropped upon the hillside.But the instant that he fellI sat firm astride his back,gripped him by the left ear tightly,and had almost sunk my knife–bladein his neck, behind his skull—when, behold! the brute screamed wildly,sprang upon his feet like lightning,with a back–cast of his headfrom my fist made knife and sheath fly,pinned me tightly by the thigh,jammed his horns against my legs,clenched me like a pair of tongs;—then forthwith away he flewright along the Gendin–Edge!

Åse [involuntarily]

Jesus save us—!

Peer

Have you everchanced to see the Gendin–Edge?Nigh on four miles long it stretchessharp before you like a scythe.Down o'er glaciers, landslips, scaurs,down the toppling grey moraines,you can see, both right and left,straight into the tarns that slumber,black and sluggish, more than sevenhundred fathoms deep below you.Right along the Edge we twoclove our passage through the air.Never rode I such a colt!Straight before us as we rushed'twas as though there glittered suns.Brown–backed eagles that were sailingin the wide and dizzy voidhalf–way 'twixt us and the tarns,dropped behind, like motes in air.Ice–floes on the shores broke crashing,but no murmur reached my ears.Only sprites of dizziness sprang,dancing, round;—they sang, they swung,circle–wise, past sight and hearing!

http://veronica365.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/vann42.jpg

, Alan Jacobs <alanadamsjacobs wrote:>> Dear Alan,> > Beautiful as ever- all Beauty points to the Divine-I loved the mountainous landscape. Thanks again.> > Love from the other Alan,> > Yours in Bhagavan.> > --- On Wed, 2/9/09, Alan alan wrote:> > > Alan alan Three> > Wednesday, 2 September, 2009, 10:25 PM> > > > > > > > > > > http://www.ferryfee .com/Bluesky/ Three.html> > > > Alan>