IndiaDivine.org

Bulleh Shah - Bulleh! to me, I am not known

Rate this topic

Guest guest

From Ivan

Here's your Daily Poem from the Poetry Chaikhana --

Bulleh! to me, I am not known

By Bulleh Shah(1680 - 1758)

Not a believer inside the mosque, am INor a pagan disciple of false ritesNot the pure amongst the impureNeither Moses, nor the PharaohBulleh! to me, I am not knownNot in the holy Vedas, am INor in opium, neither in wineNot in the drunkard`s intoxicated crazeNiether awake, nor in a sleeping dazeBulleh! to me, I am not knownIn happiness nor in sorrow, am INeither clean, nor a filthy mireNot from water, nor from earthNeither fire, nor from air, is my birthBulleh! to me, I am not knownNot an Arab, nor LahoriNeither Hindi, nor NagauriHindu, Turk, nor PeshawariNor do I live in NadaunBulleh! to me, I am not knownSecrets of religion, I have not knownFrom Adam and Eve, I am not bornI am not the name I assumeNot in stillness, nor on the moveBulleh! to me, I am

not knownI am the first, I am the lastNone other, have I ever knownI am the wisest of them allBulleh! do I stand alone?Bulleh! to me, I am not known

/ Photo by austinevan /

============

Thought for the Day:

Your outer life is the palette.Your inner life is the canvas.What are you painting?(The reverse is equally true...)

============

Here's your Daily Music selection --

Mark McCain and Erika Johnson

Touch the Strings

Listen / Purchase

More Music Selections

Hi Alan -Mir Bulleh Shah Qadiri Shatari, often referred to simply as Bulleh Shah (a shortened form of Abdullah Shah) lived in what is today Pakistan. His family was very religious and had a long tradition of association with Sufis. Bulleh Shah's father was especially known for his learning and devotion to God, raising both Bulleh Shah and his sister in a life of prayer and meditation. Bulleh Shah himself became a respected scholar, but he longed for true inner realization. Against the objections of his peers, he became a disciple of Inayat Shah, a famous master of the Qadiri Sufi lineage, who ultimately guided his student to deep mystical awakening. The nature of Bulleh Shah's realization led to such a profound egolessness and non-concern for social convention that it has been the source of many popular comical stories -- calling to mind stories of St. Francis or

Ramakrishna. For example, one day Bulleh Shah saw a young woman eagerly waiting for her husband to return home. Seeing how, in her anticipation, she braided her hair, Bulleh Shah deeply identified with the devoted way she prepared herself for her beloved. So Bulleh Shah dressed himself as a woman and braided his own hair, before rushing to see his teacher, Inayat Shah.Bulleh Shah is considered to be one of the greatest mystic poets of the Punjab region.===Bulleh Shah has given us a riddle to unravel today.Bulleh! to me, I am not knownAsk yourself, What or who is not known when he keeps saying that he is "not known"? How can he say to himself that he is not known? The little self, the ego, the self of attributes with a place in the world, the self that answers to the name Bulleh ("I am not the name I assume") -- that self can't know the deeper Self. Why? Because the True Self is far too immense. The

True Self is "not a believer... nor a pagan." The True Self is not involved "in happiness nor in sorrow." The True Self is too big to be contained by those definitions; it permeates them and encompasses them, without being caught by them.Not from water, nor from earthNeither fire, nor from air, is my birthThe True Self is not hemmed in by beginnings and ending.From Adam and Eve, I am not bornOne's True Self is eternal.I am the first, I am the lastAnd utterly whole and all-encompasing, with nothing external.None other, have I ever knownNo surprise then that the little self that clings to definitions and boundaries cannot know the Self Bulleh speaks of. The great, flowing vastness one IS, well, it is perceived, but it is not 'known.'Bulleh! to me, I am not knownIf you want to encounter the deepest mystery, look in the

mirror.Ivan

Share Your Thoughts on today's poem or my commentary...

Donations to the Poetry ChaikhanaA sincere thank you to everyone who donated to the Poetry Chaikhana in the past week:- Cora (Netherlands)Thank you also to everyone who contributes monthly through a voluntary paid subscription. New rs:- Laura, Don, GaryI am so grateful for each and every contribution. Your support makes a big difference in maintaining the Poetry Chaikhana.---A few reasons to consider making a donation of your own...

Donating feels good!

Ivan is always purchasing poetry books in search of new poets and good translations. Your contribution helps expand the library.

Ivan supports himself and his family through part-time work. Your contribution helps him to cover his expenses and dedicate more time to the Poetry Chaikhana.

Contributing will put a smile on your face!

People's interests naturally change and evolve over time. Individuals who donated regularly a couple years ago often move on. That's to be expected. For that reason, the Poetry Chaikhana needs new contributors.

Support the Poetry Chaikhana

Donations to the Poetry Chaikhana in any amount are always welcome. Thank you!

Click here

You can also support the Poetry Chaikhana, as well as the authors and publishers of sacred poetry, by purchasing some of the recommended books through the links on this site. Thank you!

Click here

A small amount each month makes a big difference. Become a voluntary Subscriber for just $2/mo.

Click here

Help the Poetry Chaikhana reach more people. Become a Supporter for just $10/mo.

Poetry Chaikhana HomeNew | Books | Music | Teahouse | About | ContactPoets by: Name| Tradition | Timeline Poetry by: Theme | CommentaryBlog | Forum | Facebook | Twitter

www.Poetry-Chaikhana.com

Poetry ChaikhanaP.O. Box 2320Boulder, CO 80306

Ivan M. Granger's original poetry, stories and commentaries are 2002 - 2008 by Ivan M. Granger.All other material is copyrighted by the respective authors, translators and/or publishers.

============

Plain Text: If you have any difficulty reading this HTML formatted email, please let me know and I can send you plain text emails instead. Cancelling: If you wish to stop receiving this Daily Poem email from the Poetry Chaikhana, simply reply to this email and change the Subject to "Cancel".

This is well worth the read. Thanks for posting.

Alan Jacobs <alanadamsjacobs Sent: Friday, September 4, 2009 10:43:43 AM Bulleh Shah - Bulleh! to me, I am not known

From Ivan

Not a believer inside the mosque, am INor a pagan disciple of false ritesNot the pure amongst the impureNeither Moses, nor the PharaohBulleh! to me, I am not knownNot in the holy Vedas, am INor in opium, neither in wineNot in the drunkard`s intoxicated crazeNiether awake, nor in a sleeping dazeBulleh! to me, I am not knownIn happiness nor in sorrow, am INeither clean, nor a filthy mireNot from water, nor from earthNeither fire, nor from air, is my birthBulleh! to me, I am not knownNot an Arab, nor LahoriNeither Hindi, nor NagauriHindu, Turk, nor PeshawariNor do I live in NadaunBulleh! to me, I am not knownSecrets of religion, I have not knownFrom Adam and Eve, I am not bornI am not the name I assumeNot in stillness, nor on the moveBulleh! to me, I am

not knownI am the first, I am the lastNone other, have I ever knownI am the wisest of them allBulleh! do I stand alone?Bulleh! to me, I am not known

/ Photo by austinevan /

============

Thought for the Day:

Your outer life is the palette.Your inner life is the canvas.What are you painting?(The reverse is equally true...)

============

Touch the Strings

Listen / Purchase

More Music Selections

Hi Alan -Mir Bulleh Shah Qadiri Shatari, often referred to simply as Bulleh Shah (a shortened form of Abdullah Shah) lived in what is today Pakistan. His family was very religious and had a long tradition of association with Sufis. Bulleh Shah's father was especially known for his learning and devotion to God, raising both Bulleh Shah and his sister in a life of prayer and meditation. Bulleh Shah himself became a respected scholar, but he longed for true inner realization. Against the objections of his peers, he became a disciple of Inayat Shah, a famous master of the Qadiri Sufi lineage, who ultimately guided his student to deep mystical awakening. The nature of Bulleh Shah's realization led to such a profound egolessness and non-concern for social convention that it has been the source of many popular comical stories -- calling to mind stories of St. Francis or

Ramakrishna. For example, one day Bulleh Shah saw a young woman eagerly waiting for her husband to return home. Seeing how, in her anticipation, she braided her hair, Bulleh Shah deeply identified with the devoted way she prepared herself for her beloved. So Bulleh Shah dressed himself as a woman and braided his own hair, before rushing to see his teacher, Inayat Shah.Bulleh Shah is considered to be one of the greatest mystic poets of the Punjab region.===Bulleh Shah has given us a riddle to unravel today.Bulleh! to me, I am not knownAsk yourself, What or who is not known when he keeps saying that he is "not known"? How can he say to himself that he is not known? The little self, the ego, the self of attributes with a place in the world, the self that answers to the name Bulleh ("I am not the name I assume") -- that self can't know the deeper Self. Why? Because the True Self is far too immense. The

True Self is "not a believer... nor a pagan." The True Self is not involved "in happiness nor in sorrow." The True Self is too big to be contained by those definitions; it permeates them and encompasses them, without being caught by them.Not from water, nor from earthNeither fire, nor from air, is my birthThe True Self is not hemmed in by beginnings and ending.From Adam and Eve, I am not bornOne's True Self is eternal.I am the first, I am the lastAnd utterly whole and all-encompasing, with nothing external.None other, have I ever knownNo surprise then that the little self that clings to definitions and boundaries cannot know the Self Bulleh speaks of. The great, flowing vastness one IS, well, it is perceived, but it is not 'known.'Bulleh! to me, I am not knownIf you want to encounter the deepest mystery, look in the

mirror.Ivan

Share Your Thoughts on today's poem or my commentary.. .

Donations to the Poetry ChaikhanaA sincere thank you to everyone who donated to the Poetry Chaikhana in the past week:- Cora (Netherlands)Thank you also to everyone who contributes monthly through a voluntary paid subscription. New rs:- Laura, Don, GaryI am so grateful for each and every contribution. Your support makes a big difference in maintaining the Poetry Chaikhana.---A few reasons to consider making a donation of your own...

Donating feels good!

Ivan is always purchasing poetry books in search of new poets and good translations. Your contribution helps expand the library.

Ivan supports himself and his family through part-time work. Your contribution helps him to cover his expenses and dedicate more time to the Poetry Chaikhana.

Contributing will put a smile on your face!

People's interests naturally change and evolve over time. Individuals who donated regularly a couple years ago often move on. That's to be expected. For that reason, the Poetry Chaikhana needs new contributors.

Click here

You can also support the Poetry Chaikhana, as well as the authors and publishers of sacred poetry, by purchasing some of the recommended books through the links on this site. Thank you!

Click here

A small amount each month makes a big difference. Become a voluntary Subscriber for just $2/mo.

Click here

Help the Poetry Chaikhana reach more people. Become a Supporter for just $10/mo.

Poetry Chaikhana HomeNew | Books | Music | Teahouse | About | ContactPoets by: Name| Tradition | Timeline Poetry by: Theme | CommentaryBlog | Forum | Facebook | Twitter www.Poetry-Chaikhan a.com Poetry ChaikhanaP.O. Box 2320Boulder, CO 80306

Ivan M. Granger's original poetry, stories and commentaries are 2002 - 2008 by Ivan M. Granger.All other material is copyrighted by the respective authors, translators and/or publishers.

============

Plain Text: If you have any difficulty reading this HTML formatted email, please let me know and I can send you plain text emails instead. Cancelling: If you wish to stop receiving this Daily Poem email from the Poetry Chaikhana, simply reply to this email and change the Subject to "Cancel".

Dear Alan

what a poem!!!!!!!

uhhhhhh

yours always

michael

-

Rafe Stoneman

Friday, September 04, 2009 9:08 PM

Re: Bulleh Shah - Bulleh! to me, I am not known

This is well worth the read. Thanks for posting.

Alan Jacobs <alanadamsjacobs (AT) (DOT) co.uk> Sent: Friday, September 4, 2009 10:43:43 AM Bulleh Shah - Bulleh! to me, I am not known

From Ivan

Not a believer inside the mosque, am INor a pagan disciple of false ritesNot the pure amongst the impureNeither Moses, nor the PharaohBulleh! to me, I am not knownNot in the holy Vedas, am INor in opium, neither in wineNot in the drunkard`s intoxicated crazeNiether awake, nor in a sleeping dazeBulleh! to me, I am not knownIn happiness nor in sorrow, am INeither clean, nor a filthy mireNot from water, nor from earthNeither fire, nor from air, is my birthBulleh! to me, I am not knownNot an Arab, nor LahoriNeither Hindi, nor NagauriHindu, Turk, nor PeshawariNor do I live in NadaunBulleh! to me, I am not knownSecrets of religion, I have not knownFrom Adam and Eve, I am not bornI am not the name I assumeNot in stillness, nor on the moveBulleh! to me, I am not knownI am the first, I am the lastNone other, have I ever knownI am the wisest of them allBulleh! do I stand alone?Bulleh! to me, I am not known

/ Photo by austinevan /

============

Thought for the Day:

============

Touch the Strings

Listen / Purchase

More Music Selections

Hi Alan -Mir Bulleh Shah Qadiri Shatari, often referred to simply as Bulleh Shah (a shortened form of Abdullah Shah) lived in what is today Pakistan. His family was very religious and had a long tradition of association with Sufis. Bulleh Shah's father was especially known for his learning and devotion to God, raising both Bulleh Shah and his sister in a life of prayer and meditation. Bulleh Shah himself became a respected scholar, but he longed for true inner realization. Against the objections of his peers, he became a disciple of Inayat Shah, a famous master of the Qadiri Sufi lineage, who ultimately guided his student to deep mystical awakening. The nature of Bulleh Shah's realization led to such a profound egolessness and non-concern for social convention that it has been the source of many popular comical stories -- calling to mind stories of St. Francis or Ramakrishna. For example, one day Bulleh Shah saw a young woman eagerly waiting for her husband to return home. Seeing how, in her anticipation, she braided her hair, Bulleh Shah deeply identified with the devoted way she prepared herself for her beloved. So Bulleh Shah dressed himself as a woman and braided his own hair, before rushing to see his teacher, Inayat Shah.Bulleh Shah is considered to be one of the greatest mystic poets of the Punjab region.===Bulleh Shah has given us a riddle to unravel today.Bulleh! to me, I am not knownAsk yourself, What or who is not known when he keeps saying that he is "not known"? How can he say to himself that he is not known? The little self, the ego, the self of attributes with a place in the world, the self that answers to the name Bulleh ("I am not the name I assume") -- that self can't know the deeper Self. Why? Because the True Self is far too immense. The True Self is "not a believer... nor a pagan." The True Self is not involved "in happiness nor in sorrow." The True Self is too big to be contained by those definitions; it permeates them and encompasses them, without being caught by them.Not from water, nor from earthNeither fire, nor from air, is my birthThe True Self is not hemmed in by beginnings and ending.From Adam and Eve, I am not bornOne's True Self is eternal.I am the first, I am the lastAnd utterly whole and all-encompasing, with nothing external.None other, have I ever knownNo surprise then that the little self that clings to definitions and boundaries cannot know the Self Bulleh speaks of. The great, flowing vastness one IS, well, it is perceived, but it is not 'known.'Bulleh! to me, I am not knownIf you want to encounter the deepest mystery, look in the mirror.Ivan

Share Your Thoughts on today's poem or my commentary.. .

Donating feels good! Ivan is always purchasing poetry books in search of new poets and good translations. Your contribution helps expand the library. Ivan supports himself and his family through part-time work. Your contribution helps him to cover his expenses and dedicate more time to the Poetry Chaikhana. Contributing will put a smile on your face! People's interests naturally change and evolve over time. Individuals who donated regularly a couple years ago often move on. That's to be expected. For that reason, the Poetry Chaikhana needs new contributors.

Click here

Click here

Click here

Poetry Chaikhana HomeNew | Books | Music | Teahouse | About | ContactPoets by: Name| Tradition | Timeline Poetry by: Theme | CommentaryBlog | Forum | Facebook | Twitter www.Poetry-Chaikhan a.com Poetry ChaikhanaP.O. Box 2320Boulder, CO 80306

============

Checked by AVG - www.avg.com Version: 8.5.409 / Virus Database: 270.13.77/2346 - Release 09/04/09 17:51:00