IndiaDivine.org

Akka Mahadevi - It was like a stream

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Here's your Daily Poem from the Poetry Chaikhana --

It was like a stream

By Akka Mahadevi(12th Century)

English version by A. K. Ramanujan

It was like a stream running into the dry bed of a lake, like rain pouring on plants parched to sticks.It was like this world's pleasure and the way to the other, both walking towards me.Seeing the feet of the masterO lord white as jasmine, I was made worthwhile.

-- from Women Writing in India: 600 BC to the Present: Volume 1, Edited by Susie Tharu / Edited by K. Lalita

Amazon.com / Photo by Wofgang Staudt /

============

Thought for the Day:

The destination's gift is contained in the journey itself.

============

Here's your Daily Music selection --

Vineet Vyas

Taalworks

Listen / Purchase

More Music Selections

Hi Alan -You know, there is always a question people are afraid to ask, or just don't think to ask... So let's ask it now: What in the world are these poets and mystics really talking about? Is there anything real behind all of these esoteric poems and sacred scriptures?Once we step away from heavily laden words like God or heaven or enlightenment, we have to ask if these are just lovely word games and endless philosophical speculation. I guess all of that is a roundabout way of asking the blunt question, What is the real point to a lifetime of spiritual striving?Here's a little secret that isn't often mentioned in church or mosque or synagogue: In deepest communion, when the mind is still and the heart open, we are flooded by such an immense, ecstatic joy that nothing else can compare to it.Let me say that again, because it is not some pretty

philosophical notion; it is real, and directly perceived: When the mind is still and the heart open, we are flooded with an immense, ecstatic joy beyond describing.That flood brings with it a profound sense of life. It is a sense of being alive that is utterly new, unknown until that moment. It is as if we experience what it means to be alive for the first time. Christians speak of this as the rebirth. Eastern traditions speak of it as awakening. That flood -- it feels like a rushing stream -- finally slakes a deep thirst we didn't know we had.It was like a streamrunning into the dry bedof a lake,like rainpouring on plantsparched to sticks.In other words, yes, these poets are actually describing something real. It is something felt and tangible. The spiritual journey is not about withering discipline or theological correctness, clinging to a dusty ideal unto the grave. It is about life! And a very real

deep, mysterious delight!The theologian reformulates other people's descriptions sugar, and tells himself he is content. But the mystic is only satisfied with tasting it.The spiritual journey is about discovering the very real sweetness that you are.O lord white as jasmine,I was madeworthwhile.Ivan

Share Your Thoughts on today's poem or my commentary...

New on the Poetry Chaikhana BlogIn addition to the daily poem, other recent blog posts include:

Music & Video - Rabbi Shergill - Bulla Ki Jaana Maen Kaun - a delightful musical rendition of the recently featured poem by Bulleh Shah: To Me, I Am Not Known More

Music & Video - Rodrigo y Gabriela - Tamacun - Something to get your toes tapping today. Give a listen! More

A Milestone for the Poetry Chaikhana - Comments (4) As of today, we have 5,000 people on the poetry email list! Wow! More

Support the Poetry Chaikhana

Donations to the Poetry Chaikhana in any amount are always welcome. Thank you!

Click here

You can also support the Poetry Chaikhana, as well as the authors and publishers of sacred poetry, by purchasing some of the recommended books through the links on this site. Thank you!

Click here

A small amount each month makes a big difference. Become a voluntary Subscriber for just $2/mo.

Click here

Help the Poetry Chaikhana reach more people. Become a Supporter for just $10/mo.

Poetry Chaikhana HomeNew | Books | Music | Teahouse | About | ContactPoets by: Name| Tradition | Timeline Poetry by: Theme | CommentaryBlog | Forum | Facebook | Twitter

www.Poetry-Chaikhana.com

Poetry ChaikhanaP.O. Box 2320Boulder, CO 80306

Ivan M. Granger's original poetry, stories and commentaries are 2002 - 2008 by Ivan M. Granger.All other material is copyrighted by the respective authors, translators and/or publishers.

============

Plain Text: If you have any difficulty reading this HTML formatted email, please let me know and I can send you plain text emails instead. Cancelling: If you wish to stop receiving this Daily Poem email from the Poetry Chaikhana, simply reply to this email and change the Subject to "Cancel".