IndiaDivine.org

Ramana Maharshi's affection with children

Rate this topic

Guest guest

10th October, 1948A few days ago, Mahadeva Sastri, son of Kavyakanta Ganapati Sastri, came here. Bhagavan introduced him to us all. As he is now living in this place our talk turned on his father Sri Kavyakanta yesterday afternoon. Bhagavan began telling us:

“When I was living in Virupaksha Cave, sometime in 1903, Nayana* came there with his family. At that time this Mahadeva was about four or five years of age. Nayana prostrated before me and then asked the little boy to do likewise. 

He appeared not to have heard it and, with an air of indifference, kept quiet. Nayana too did not mind it. Then,all of a sudden, that boy prostrated before me in full length (Sashtanga namaskaram).Like a young boy who has had his Thread Ceremony he placed his hands on his ears and then touched my feet.

I wondered how that little boy could have known the correct procedure of prostration and felt that it must have come from family traditions.”“You know what I did one day? Seating Mahadeva on my back I began swimming in the tank opposite the Pachiamman Shrine from one end to the other. 

When we were halfway through he began pressing me down, greatly elated, shouting ‘Aha, Hai!’ as cart drivers do to their bullocks.Another devotee enquired if it were a fact that Bhagavan and Nayana used to swim in the Pandava Tank.

Bhagavan replied, “Yes. That also was only in those days.We used to try to excel each other in swimming. That was great fun.”Another devotee said, “It seems you played marbles with children?”

Bhagavan replied, “Yes. That was so. That too was while we were in the Virupaksha Cave. The holes dug for the purpose of playing marbles must be there even now. Thosechildren sometimes used to bring packets of sweets.We all shared them. 

During Dipavali they used to put aside my share of crackers and bring them up to me. We used to fire the crackers together. It was most entertaining.”Source: Letters from Sri Ramanasramam VOLUMES I, II & Letters from and Recollections of Sri Ramanasramam By SURI NAGAMMA Translated by D. S. SASTRI

-- Om Namo Bhagavate Sri Ramanaya

Prasanth JalasutramLove And Love Alone