IndiaDivine.org

Ramana Maharshi Visions Of Supernatural Sights On Arunachala

Rate this topic

Guest guest

15th January, 1949One of the devotees addressed Bhagavan: “You told us once that you had seen onthis hill very high temples, gardens and such like. Was that all during the period you were on the hill?”

Bhagavan: “Yes. That was perhaps when I was in the Virupaksha Cave. I closed my eyes. I felt I was walking on the hill itself towards the northeast. I saw at one place a nice flower garden, a big temple, a fine compound wall and a big Nandi (a bull carved in stone). There was a strange light. It was extremely pleasant. As I was looking at all these, it was time for puja (worship). The bell was rung and immediately after that I opened my eyes.”

Devotee: “Bhagavan told us some time back that there was a big cave also.”Bhagavan: “Yes, yes. That also happened when I was living on the hill. I was wandering about aimlessly when I found at one place a big cave. When I entered the cave, I saw a number of waterfalls, beautiful gardens, tanks within those gardens, well laid paths, fine lighting; everything there was most pleasing. As I went farther and farther I saw a Realised Person (Siddha Purusha) seated like Dakshinamurthy under a tree on the banks of a tank. Around him, a number of saints (munis) were seated. They were asking something and he was replying to them. That place appeared to me very familiar. That is all. I opened my eyes. Subsequently,after some time, when I saw Arunachala Puranam in Sanskrit in the two slokas that cave and that Siddha Purusha have been described and so I was surprised that what appeared to me in a trance was to be found in that book. So I translated them into Tamil: ‘Angiyuru vayumoli mangugiri yaga...’. Its meaning is: ‘Though you are in the form of fire,you have kept away the fire and have taken the shape of a hill mainly to shower your blessings on the people. You are always living here in the form of a Siddha. The cave that appeared to me is in you with all the luxuries of the world.’

Recently when the temple in Adi Annamalai was renovated,it has been reported that in the sanctum sanctorum of the temple a large tunnel was found and when people tried to find out its extent they saw that it was extending to the very centre of the hill. 

As they could not go in very far, they came back. I therefore thought that which occurred to me and that which is in the Purana appears to be true and that the tunnel was the way to the place I had seen. It is reported that Siddha Purushas come from the cave inside to the temple through that tunnel night after night and go back after worshipping Ishwara. Why so far? Recently, something like that was seen even here. I was going on to the hill as usual when, as I was getting near the steps over there, a big city appeared before me. There were huge buildings of several varieties, well laid thoroughfares, good lighting; and it appeared to be a great city. At one place a meeting was being held. Chadwick was with me. He was even saying, ‘Bhagavan,all this is so self-evident! Who will believe if we say this is all a dream!’ Everything appeared as if it was actually happening.

Meanwhile, I opened my eyes.”Devotee: “Is all this really a dream?”Bhagavan: “I can’t say whether it is a dream or not.What is real?”

Source: Letters from Sri Ramanasramam VOLUMES I, II & Letters from and Recollections of Sri Ramanasramam By SURI NAGAMMA Translated by D. S. SASTRI

-- Om Namo Bhagavate Sri Ramanaya

Prasanth JalasutramLove And Love Alone