IndiaDivine.org

Sri RamaKrishna says End and aim of your human existence is the attainment of God and not hospitals and dispensaries

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Ramakrishna: In this age (Kali-Yuga) the path of devotion and love (Bhakti-Yoga) is easy for all. The practice of Narada's Bhakti is better adapted to this Yuga. One should repeat the Holy Name of the Lord and chant His praises and with earnest and sincere heart, pray to Him, saying: " O Lord, grant me Thy divine Wisdom, Thy divine Love. Do Thou open my eyes and make me realize Thee. "  

When Karma Yoga is so difficult to practice, one should pray to the Lord in this manner: " O Lord! Do Thou reduce our Karma to a minimum, and the little work that we daily perform, may we do it with non-attachment by Thy grace. O Lord! Do not let our desire for work increase in number and bind us to worldliness. " [is work the aim of life?]

Devotee: People of the West (in England and America) always say, " Work, work, work. " Is not work (Karma) then the end and aim of life? Ramakrishna: The end and aim of life is the attainment of God. Work (Karma) is nothing but the first chapter of life; how can it be its end and aim? But work,without seeking the result, is a means, not the end. No one, however, can avoid work (Karma).

Every mental action is a Karma. " I am thinking, " " I meditate, " " I feel, " each of these is a Karma. The more one attains to true devotion the less becomes one's worldly work. The pleasures of the world do not satisfy such a soul. They lose their charm. How can one who has tasted the Sherbet made with pure crystallized sugar be pleased with the taste of a drink made with molasses or treacle? 

On one occasion a Karma Yogi (Sambhu) said to me: " May Thy blessing be that my wealth be spent in building hospitals and dispensaries, in making roads, in sinking wells for travelers, in establishing schools, colleges, and in other good works. " Whereupon I replied: " Sambhu, all these works are good when they are performed with non-attachment. But that is very difficult. In any case you should always keep in mind that the end and aim of your human existence is the attainment of God and not hospitals and dispensaries. [p. 241]

Source: THE GOSPEL OF RAMAKRISHNA Revised by SWAMI ABHEDANANDA

-- Om Namo Bhagavate Sri Ramanaya

Prasanth JalasutramLove And Love Alone