IndiaDivine.org

Ramprasad (Ramprasad Sen) - I drink no ordinary wine

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Ivan has sent us a verse from Ramprasad- Ramakrishna's favourite Poet--- On Fri, 13/11/09, Poetry Chaikhana <ivan wrote:

Here's your Daily Poem from the Poetry Chaikhana --

I drink no ordinary wine

By Ramprasad (Ramprasad Sen)(1718? - 1775?)

I drink no ordinary wine,but Wine of Everlasting Bliss,As I repeat my Mother Kali's name;It so intoxicates my mind that people take me to be drunk!First my guru gives molasses for the making of the Wine;My longing is the ferment to transform it.Knowledge, the maker of the Wine,prepares it for me then;And when it is done,my mind imbibes it from the bottle of the mantra,Taking the Mother's name to make it pure.Drink of this Wine, says Ramprasad,and the four fruits of life are yours.

-- from Kali: The Black Goddess of Dakshineswar, by Elizabeth U. Harding

Amazon.com / Photo by Findsiddiqui /

============

Thought for the Day:

The present moment is always unique, a profound mystery, and never to be missed

============

Here's your Daily Music selection --

Vishwa Mohan Bhatt

Samadhi

Listen / Purchase

More Music Selections

Hi Alan -Ramprasad is one of my favorite poets.Ramprasad Sen was born in a small village along the Ganges, just outside of Calcutta in Bengal, India. His father was an Ayurvedic doctor.As a boy, Ramprasad showed himself to be an excellent student and displayed a natural talent for poetry and language.Although he impressed everyone with his intellectual abilities, he showed no interest in taking up the family profession of Ayurveda or any profession, for that matter. His increasing otherworldliness and interest in spiritual practices worried his parents, who were afraid he would renounce the world. To head off that possibility, his parents married their meditative son to a beautiful young girl.Soon after the marriage, Ramprasad's father died, leaving the family in poverty. As the oldest son, the responsibility fell on Ramprasad to provide for the entire

family. Despite his bright mind, Ramprasad struggled to find employment.He eventually found a job as an accountant's clerk in nearby Calcutta. But he couldn't prevent his devotional poetry from pouring out. Lacking good paper, he wrote his poems in the margins of his account ledgers. Some of his coworkers noticed this and complained to the manager that Ramprasad was writing poetry rather than keeping the accounts. The manager demanded to see Ramprasad's ledgers. Upon reading Ramprasad's songs to the mother goddess Kali, the manager was so moved that he told Ramprasad to go home and devote all his time to his writing -- and he would still draw the same monthly pay.Ramprasad turned deeply to his spiritual practices and poetry, often singing his songs by the banks of the Ganges or immersed, neck-deep in the sacred waters.One day a local Maharaja heard Ramprasad singing songs to Kali. He appointed Ramprasad as court poet, granting

him enough land to support his family. It was then that Ramprasad delved more deeply into spiritual practices, often fasting and sitting in a nearby meditation garden.He began to have visions of Mother Kali. His songs and quiet charisma started to draw devotees.Ramprasad and his wife had four children. Finances continued to be a challenge for Ramprasad and his family. His intense focus on spiritual practices meant he neglected the day-to-day maintenance of his land, yet the family continued to get by.Ramprasad's poetry to the Mother Goddess Kali is playful, petulant, blissful, rageful -- and sometimes shocking. His poetry shows the whole tempestuous relationship between a child and his Mother, between the soul and God. He doesn't just show one face to the Divine Mother, he doesn't just pretend to be 'the good little boy;' he communicates everything to Her nakedly. And, in doing so, he achieves a profound intimacy with the

Divine.---As with so many poems describing the experience of ecstatic union, this poem refers to wine, but "no ordinary wine."The "molasses" given by the guru to make the wine of sacred bliss is diksha or shaktipat -- the energetic initiation given by a guru, usually accompanied by a mantra, in order to begin the process of awakening the Kundalini force within the seeker.His intense desire or longing for God, the Divine Mother, "ferments" that energy, causing it to bubble and expand, giving it a vitality of its own.When its expansion is complete, through spiritual practice and devotion, the Kundalini Shakti rises from the seat to the crown, complimented by the descending of a divine current that has a sweetness in the mouth and throat that is like drinking a heavenly liquid."Drink of this Wine, says Ramprasad" -- indeed, we should!Have a beautiful weekend!Ivan

Share Your Thoughts on today's poem or my commentary...

New on the Poetry Chaikhana BlogIn addition to the daily poem, other recent blog posts include:

EATP Interview with Ivan - Comments (1) I talk a little about myself, and a lot about poetry the transformational power of poetry, the ways poetry naturally expresses the sacred experience, the non-dogmatic nature of poetry. And I read a few poems. More

- More

- More

Donations to the Poetry ChaikhanaA sincere thank you for the donation this past week:- Cornelia (NSW, Australia)I am so grateful for each and every contribution. Your support makes a big difference in maintaining the Poetry Chaikhana.---A few reasons to consider making a donation of your own...

$10/month -- the cost of one movie ticket.

More than 300 sacred poets. Timelines, traditions, poetic themes. Ivan's musings and comments. 'Nuff said.

The Poetry Chaikhana brings a little beauty and inspiration to you each day.

I never ask anyone to donate more than they can comfortably afford.

The daily poem can bring depth to your prayer or meditation practice.

Support the Poetry Chaikhana

Donations to the Poetry Chaikhana in any amount are always welcome. Thank you!

Click here

You can also support the Poetry Chaikhana, as well as the authors and publishers of sacred poetry, by purchasing some of the recommended books through the links on this site. Thank you!

Click here

A small amount each month makes a big difference. Become a voluntary Subscriber for just $2/mo.

Click here

Help the Poetry Chaikhana reach more people. Become a Supporter for just $10/mo.

Poetry Chaikhana HomeNew | Books | Music | Teahouse | About | ContactPoets by: Name| Tradition | Timeline Poetry by: Theme | CommentaryBlog | Forum | Facebook | Twitter

www.Poetry-Chaikhana.com

Poetry ChaikhanaP.O. Box 2320Boulder, CO 80306

Ivan M. Granger's original poetry, stories and commentaries are 2002 - 2008 by Ivan M. Granger.All other material is copyrighted by the respective authors, translators and/or publishers.

============

Plain Text: If you have any difficulty reading this HTML formatted email, please let me know and I can send you plain text emails instead. Cancelling: If you wish to stop receiving this Daily Poem email from the Poetry Chaikhana, simply reply to this email and change the Subject to "Cancel".