IndiaDivine.org

AIDS TO COMMENCING SELF ENQUIRY

Rate this topic

Guest guest

My dear Dave,

Thank you for posting. I completely agree with your comment. I trust all is very well with you.

Love,

Alan--- On Sun, 15/11/09, DAVID BENTLEY <sdaudio2 wrote:

DAVID BENTLEY <sdaudio2Re: AIDS TO COMMENCING SELF ENQUIRY Date: Sunday, 15 November, 2009, 15:43

Bless you Alan my true brother for this submission.. .with a humble suggestion.. .while performing whatever method it is important not to give attention to those things that would divide your attention ...but do not "beat up " on yourself if difficulty is encountered. ..With Love...Dave--- On Sun, 11/15/09, Alan Jacobs <alanadamsjacobs@ .co. uk> wrote:

Alan Jacobs <alanadamsjacobs@ .co. uk> AIDS TO COMMENCING SELF ENQUIRYReceived: Sunday, November 15, 2009, 6:35 AM

Dear Michael,

This is written for the Ramana Maharshi Foundation Newsletter . Any suggestions for improvements would be appreciated straight away. The message is to assist perople who have difficulty in commencing the vital practice of Self Enquiry.

All love,

Alan--- On Sat, 14/11/09, Michael Bindel <michael.bindel@ t-online. hu> wrote:

Michael Bindel <michael.bindel@ t-online. hu>Re: AIDS TO COMMENCING SELF ENQUIRYSaturday, 14 November, 2009, 16:31

Dear Alan

please let me know for whom this article is intended.

This is indeed a very good idea and i would like to contribute.

Is there a time-limit? Because have so much inner work on hand and putting the result in daily practice that i need the time-limit and your patience.

The actual situation on the "markeplace" of "self-consciousness ", "conscious-living" , "advaitaneo-advaita" etc is so similar to the all other "market-places" who are consum-oriented and most of those seeking "followers" adjust to this consumism-"philosop hy".

In my personal experience only those who are ready to give EVERYTHING to find TRUTH and are trained in disappointments and checking themselves are ready for this path.

So what do you want your message to transmit?

In gratitude being in your company

yours always

in Bhagavan

michael

P.S. your advice fell on fertile ground - but it takes "long" till this person is able to absorb it in daily life

-

Alan Jacobs

Saturday, November 14, 2009 7:38 AM

AIDS TO COMMENCING SELF ENQUIRY

These are tentative notes, and I would appreciate any suggestions to include in the text so it becomes improved. AlanSOME AIDS TO SELF ENQUIRY“Those who leave the path of Self Enquiry, the way ofliberation, and wander off along the myriad forest tracks,will encounter only confusionâ€. BhagavanSelf Enquiry is the Direct Path and Bhagavan’s great contribution for the modern age for all.Self Enquiry is the back bone the main weapon in Bhagavan’s teaching for eliminating the vasanas,tendencies and vrittis, the thought forms which act as a veil and occlude your Real Self.Total Surrender will also achieve the goal, but this way is slower as in the beginning we are only capable of partial Surrender. But continue to surrender the Egotistic/Mind at the lotus feet of the Inner Guru, Bhagavan in the Heart partially, and that will lead to total Surrender in due course.To start Self Enquiry is not easy! We

must have a great yearning and wish to commence. Pray for grace in this respect. It starts with the mind , turning inwards at 180 degrees and with all one’s powers of concentration probing inward, beneath the skin, to find the source of the I Thought or ego. Many find the right side of the chest is an effective doorway to enter the interior and eventually the spiritual heart, where the source of the ego dwells.The first aid is therefore to increase our power of concentration, without thought interfering. Most concentration spans are about 4 minutes. One can increase its power by practice. Gaze at a portrait of Bhagavan, or acandle or a spot on the wall. For as long as you can until you increase the time markedly.The next aid is study. One must read about Self Enquiry as Bhagavan taught it. His two essays WHO AM I and SELF ENQUIRY are essential. They can be downloaded from the Ashram site or read from Collected Works. Read them over and over

again until they have sunk in . They are not very long. Then one can read from the index on Self Enquiry in Talks With Ramana Maharshi – which can also be downloaded as can David Godman’s Be As You Are which has three chapters in his book on SELF .ENQUIRY, THEN.FIND THE WAY THAT’S EASIEST FOR YOU!. 1.It could be holding the breath , to stop thought and diving into the heart to find the source of the I thought, or just diving without holding the breath. 2.It could be questioning when thoughts or emotions arise, and asking “to whom does this thought come- to me?†Then ask “who am I?â€, with attention again seeking for the source of the I thought.3. It could be paying attention to The Self- Self attention- or paying attention to awareness, being aware of one’s awareness.. 4. It could be holding onto the I thought or the feeling of the ego or me, with attention, whenever it arises looking for it’s source..5.It could be

tracing the source of your favourite Mantra.6. It could be posing the question Who Am I then holding the breath, search for the egos source. On exhalation feel I am Not the Body'.7.If all are too difficult, then just repeat I-I-I-I as a mantra. I is the Real name of God said Bhagavan. It will eventually lead to the Self on which attention may then be placed with practice.Eventually with any of these methods one may notice a pulsation commencing on the right side of the chest which indicates progress.. Perseverance, continued practice and great faith are needed. Each time , you enquire it will gradually loosen identification with the mind and body and start the loosening of the Granthi Knot which holds and maintains identification with the ‘I am the body, notion.Self Enquiry is linked to devotion, it must become emotional not only a practice from head attention, then it is easier to get to the source of the I

thought.Read the beginning quote once again please.Alan Jacobs

Reclaim your name @ymail.com or @rocketmail. com. Get your new email address now!