IndiaDivine.org

Walt Whitman - [1] I celebrate myself, and sing myself (from Song of Myself)

Rate this topic

Guest guest

--- On Wed, 9/12/09, Poetry Chaikhana <ivan wrote:

Here's your Daily Poem from the Poetry Chaikhana --

[1] I celebrate myself, and sing myself (from Song of Myself)

By Walt Whitman(1819 - 1892)

I celebrate myself, and sing myself,And what I assume you shall assume,For every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you.I loaf and invite my soul,I lean and loaf at my ease observing a spear of summer grass.My tongue, every atom of my blood, formed from this soil, this air,Born here of parents born here from parents the same, and their parents the same,I, now thirty-seven years old in perfect health begin,Hoping to cease not till death.Creeds and schools in abeyance,Retiring back awhile sufficed at what they are, but never forgotten,I harbor for good or bad, I permit to speak at every hazard,Nature without check with original energy.

-- from Song of Myself, by Walt Whitman

Amazon.com / Photo by Jason Clapp /

============

Thought for the Day:

Accept yourselfso deeplythat you are not afraid to let goof what is not you.

============

Here's your Daily Music selection --

Annapurna

Mother of the Mystery

Listen / Purchase

More Music Selections

Hi Alan -I celebrate myself, and sing myself...This is the opening chapter to Walt Whitman's masterpiece, Song of Myself. He accepts all of life, the sensual and the sublime, the hellish and the heavenly as exhuberant expressions of the Divine. And he recognizes the Divine is not separate from himself.This opening chapter proclaims his famous line, "I loaf and invite my soul." This perfectly reflects Whitman's sensibilities: on the one hand, it suggests a languorous sensuality while, on the other hand, his "loafing" can be understood as spiritual rest, the stillness that genuinely invites the sacred experience. He continuously writes on the two levels, the tactile and the transcendent.As we journey further through the many chapters of this long poem, we begin to understand that the "self" he is celebrating exists on countless levels. On the simplest

level, he is celebrating the life-affirming sensuality of his very body, in direct opposition to the prudish, numb religiosity of the era. But the self he speaks of is much larger than that too. His pen describes a vast landscape of places and people, high and low dramas, measureless expanses, universes of being -- and they are all part of his "self." His poem becomes a grand assertion that we are each of us much more immense than we imagine, that we are integral participants in the great drama of existence. Further, he suggests that we partake in each other and no one exists in a separate, isolated self.That's what so deeply moves me about Whitman's Song of Myself, that huge, tumultuous vision he conjures for us, not of many selves, but of one all-embracing, interpenetrating Self, a self which we all share.As an aside, I want to point out one other line that jumps out to me:Hoping to cease not till

death.It reminds me of one of my favorite prayers: "Lord, let me live until I die!"Have a beautiful day!Ivan

Share Your Thoughts on today's poem or my commentary...

New on the Poetry Chaikhana BlogIn addition to the daily poem, other recent blog posts include:

Holiday Book Recommendations - Comments (1) Here are a few of my favorite general collections of sacred poetry a holiday sampler. More

Book Recommendation: For Lovers of God Everywhere - For Lovers of God Everywhere has quickly become one of my favorite collections of sacred poetry within the many Christian traditions. More

Reb Zalman Schachter-Shalomi on Interfaith Dialog - A wise, thought-provoking interview with Reb Zalman Schachter-Shalomi on Interfaith Dialog from a Jewish perspective. More

Support the Poetry Chaikhana

Donations to the Poetry Chaikhana in any amount are always welcome. Thank you!

Click here

You can also support the Poetry Chaikhana, as well as the authors and publishers of sacred poetry, by purchasing some of the recommended books through the links on this site. Thank you!

Click here

A small amount each month makes a big difference. Become a voluntary Subscriber for just $2/mo.

Click here

Help the Poetry Chaikhana reach more people. Become a Supporter for just $10/mo.

Poetry Chaikhana HomeNew | Books | Music | Teahouse | About | ContactPoets by: Name| Tradition | Timeline Poetry by: Theme | CommentaryBlog | Forum | Facebook | Twitter

www.Poetry-Chaikhana.com

Poetry ChaikhanaP.O. Box 2320Boulder, CO 80306

Ivan M. Granger's original poetry, stories and commentaries are 2002 - 2008 by Ivan M. Granger.All other material is copyrighted by the respective authors, translators and/or publishers.

============

Plain Text: If you have any difficulty reading this HTML formatted email, please let me know and I can send you plain text emails instead. Cancelling: If you wish to stop receiving this Daily Poem email from the Poetry Chaikhana, simply reply to this email and change the Subject to "Cancel".