IndiaDivine.org

Rabbi Abraham Abulafia - Their mystery is (from Life of the Future World)

Rate this topic

Guest guest

From our dear friend Ivan. his notes at the foot are always worth reading. AJ

Here's your Daily Poem from the Poetry Chaikhana --

Their mystery is (from Life of the Future World)

By Rabbi Abraham Abulafia(1240 - 1295?)

English version by Jewish Theological Seminary

Their mystery is: God my only One in them my heart will be worthy.And their mystery is Enough! Enough! Enough!

-- from Meditation and Kabbalah, by Aryeh Kaplan

Amazon.com / Photo by Pedro Angelini /

============

Thought for the Day:

Spiritual awakening is the fundamental political act.Awareness spreads outwardinto the world.

============

Here's your Daily Music selection --

Budowitz

Budowitz Live (Double CD)

Listen - Purchase

More Music Selections

Hi Alan -Hanukkah begins tonight at sundown...A moment of ecstasy, a heart overflowing in its encounter with the mystery. The tongue rebels in the mouth at trying to formulate words. The whole awareness wants to simply watch in silence.==Rabbi Abraham (or Avraham) Abulafia was an important figure in Spanish Kabbalah mysticism, founder of "prophetic Kabbalah." He was born in Zaragosa, Spain.His father was his first teacher, instructing him in knowledge of the Torah and Talmud.His father died when he was Rabbi Abulafia was 18. He then began to travel. He went to Palestine, but in the chaos following the Crusades, he found it too dangerous. He then traveled through Greece and into Italy, where he settled for a while and studied philosophy, including Kabbalah and the works of Maimonides. During this time he also gained notoriety as a

teacher.Rabbi Abulafia eventually returned to Spain, where he deepened his esoteric study. He delved deeply into important Kabbalistic texts, like the Sefer Yetzirah, as well as the writings of other Jewish mystics.Rabbi Abulafia is especially associated with the Kabbalistic tradition of meditating on sacred words. Because each act of creation in the Torah begins with the phrase, "And God said...," he understood words both as keys to manifestation, but also signposts pointing the way back to the Divine Source. Rabbi Abulafia taught a meditation practice in which the letters of sacred words are manipulated and rearranged as a way to gain deep insight into the true nature of creation and oneself and, ultimately, to reconnect with God.He continued his travels, returning to Greece and Italy, teaching and writing. While teaching in Italy, he was condemned by some of the local Jewish communities for his unorthodox views. When important

rabbis in Spain heard of the controversy, it became clear he was no longer welcome in Spain. He spent his remaining years traveling and writing in exile.==Have a beautiful weekend!IvanPS - Music Listen Links Working AgainA few months back I had to disable the "Listen" links for the music selections because of a change in changes with the online independent retailer CDBaby. I've now switched as many music selections as possible over to Amazon, which allows me to include links for listening directly to the music selections again. Click on the "Listen" link -- if the CD is available through Amazon, it will open a page in your web browser and automatically start playing some short samples from the CD. A little music returns to our lives...

Share Your Thoughts on today's poem or my commentary...

Donations to the Poetry ChaikhanaA sincere thank you for the donation this past week:- Steve (CA), George (VA)I am so grateful for each and every contribution. Your support makes a big difference in maintaining the Poetry Chaikhana.---A few reasons to consider making a donation of your own...

The poem email sets a nice tone for the day.

Save the sacred poets! Ivan spends a certain amount of time each month searching for translations of poets and saints throughout history. Your donation helps him to continue this work.

Donating is easy: Just drop a check in the mail, or take a minute online with PayPal.

$10/month -- the cost of one movie ticket.

More than 300 sacred poets. Timelines, traditions, poetic themes. Ivan's musings and comments. 'Nuff said.

Support the Poetry Chaikhana

Donations to the Poetry Chaikhana in any amount are always welcome. Thank you!

Click here

You can also support the Poetry Chaikhana, as well as the authors and publishers of sacred poetry, by purchasing some of the recommended books through the links on this site. Thank you!

Click here

A small amount each month makes a big difference. Become a voluntary Subscriber for just $2/mo.

Click here

Help the Poetry Chaikhana reach more people. Become a Supporter for just $10/mo.

Poetry Chaikhana HomeNew | Books | Music | Teahouse | About | ContactPoets by: Name| Tradition | Timeline Poetry by: Theme | CommentaryBlog | Forum | Facebook | Twitter

www.Poetry-Chaikhana.com

Poetry ChaikhanaP.O. Box 2320Boulder, CO 80306

Ivan M. Granger's original poetry, stories and commentaries are 2002 - 2008 by Ivan M. Granger.All other material is copyrighted by the respective authors, translators and/or publishers.

============

Plain Text: If you have any difficulty reading this HTML formatted email, please let me know and I can send you plain text emails instead. Cancelling: If you wish to stop receiving this Daily Poem email from the Poetry Chaikhana, simply reply to this email and change the Subject to "Cancel".