IndiaDivine.org

[Poetry Chaikhana] Yamei - In one shrill cry

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Here's your Daily Poem from the Poetry Chaikhana --

In one shrill cry

By Yamei(17th Century)

English version by R. H. Blyth

In one shrill crythe pheasant has swallowedthe broad field.

-- from Zen in English Literature and Oriental Classics, by R. H. Blyth

Amazon.com / Photo by TheLizardQueen /

============

Thought for the Day:

The solutionis in the present.

============

Here's your Daily Music selection --

Chloe Goodchild

Devi

Listen - Purchase

More Music Selections

Hi Alan -I'll say it now, this poem by Yamei is one of my favorite examples of haiku. Now I suppose you want me to explain why. Well, uh, hmm...I lived for several years in Hawaii, on the island of Maui. It's a largely rural island, and I lived "upcountry" where you'll find lots of hilly fields and cow pastures. I'd drive my car through the winding country roads of Maui, and every once in a while I'd catch a glimpse out of the corner of my eye of a burst of color -- a pheasant startled from its hiding place. It's ascent was always full of effort, churning earthen wings pushing its sunburst bright head aloft. But then, landing a few yards away, its dignity restored, breast out, watchful eye upon the yellowing sea of grass, the pheasant left no doubt as to who ruled that quiet field. One shrill cry confirmed it.This haiku reminds me of those island moments.And

something about the way Yamei describes the cry as "swallowing" the broad field. You can almost hear the sharp sound hanging over the field's dewy silence, defining the space. It is a wild cry, an assertion of self, an assertion of being and improbable lordship, Whitman's "barbaric yawp." It's as if the pheasant's cry casts out a net that draws in its whole world, making it his, making it a part of himself. That call creates union.That "one shrill cry," it wants to burst from your breast too. Let it loose. See what it draws into you.Ivan

Share Your Thoughts on today's poem or my commentary...

New on the Poetry Chaikhana BlogIn addition to the daily poem, other recent blog posts include:

Holiday Greetings - and Thank You - Comments (12) More

Holiday Book Recommendations - Comments (2) Here are a few of my favorite general collections of sacred poetry a holiday sampler. More

Book Recommendation: For Lovers of God Everywhere - Comments (1) For Lovers of God Everywhere has quickly become one of my favorite collections of sacred poetry within the many Christian traditions. More

Donations to the Poetry ChaikhanaA sincere thank you for your donations this past week:- Kathleen (WI)And a big thank you also to the new paid rs this week:- HarryI am so grateful for each and every contribution. Your support makes a big difference in maintaining the Poetry Chaikhana.---A few reasons to consider making a donation of your own...

I know economic times are tight for many people. A small amount contributed each month is as helpful as a larger one-time donation.

The poem email sets a nice tone for the day.

Save the sacred poets! Ivan spends a certain amount of time each month searching for translations of poets and saints throughout history. Your donation helps him to continue this work.

Donating is easy: Just drop a check in the mail, or take a minute online with PayPal.

$10/month -- the cost of one movie ticket.

Support the Poetry Chaikhana

Donations to the Poetry Chaikhana in any amount are always welcome. Thank you!

Click here

You can also support the Poetry Chaikhana, as well as the authors and publishers of sacred poetry, by purchasing some of the recommended books through the links on this site. Thank you!

Click here

A small amount each month makes a big difference. Become a voluntary Subscriber for just $2/mo.

Click here

Help the Poetry Chaikhana reach more people. Become a Supporter for just $10/mo.

Poetry Chaikhana HomeNew | Books | Music | Teahouse | About | ContactPoets by: Name| Tradition | Timeline Poetry by: Theme | CommentaryBlog | Forum | Facebook | Twitter

www.Poetry-Chaikhana.com

Poetry ChaikhanaP.O. Box 2320Boulder, CO 80306

Ivan M. Granger's original poetry, stories and commentaries are 2002 - 2008 by Ivan M. Granger.All other material is copyrighted by the respective authors, translators and/or publishers.

============

Plain Text: If you have any difficulty reading this HTML formatted email, please let me know and I can send you plain text emails instead. Cancelling: If you wish to stop receiving this Daily Poem email from the Poetry Chaikhana, simply reply to this email and change the Subject to "Cancel".