Rate this topic

Guest guest

---

From Ivan

Here's your Daily Poem from the Poetry Chaikhana --

Proverbs and Songs

By Antonio Machado(1875 - 1939)

English version by Robert Bly

Dedicated to Jose Ortega y GassetI The eye you see is notan eye because you see it;it is an eye because it sees you.II To talk with someone,ask a question first,then -- listen.III Narcissismis an ugly fault,and now it's a boring fault too.IV But look in your mirror for the other one,the other one who walks by your side.V Between living and dreamingthere is a third thing.Guess it.VI This Narcissus of ourscan't see his face in the mirrorbecause he has become the mirror.VII New century? Stillfiring up the same forge?Is

the water still going along in its bed?VIII Every instant is Still.IX The sun in Aries. My windowis open to the cool air.Oh the sound of the water far off!The evening awakens the river.X In the old farmhouse-- a high tower with storks! --the gregarious sound falls silent,and in the field where no on is,water makes a sound among the rocks.XI Just as before, I'm interestedin water held in;but now water in livingrock of my chest.XII When you hear water, does its sound tell youif it's from a mountain or farm,city street, formal garden, or orchard?XIII What I find surprises me:leaves of the garden balmsmell of

lemonwood.XIV Don't trace out your profile,forget your side view --all that is outer stuff.XV Look for your other halfwho walks always next to youand tends to be what you aren't.XVI When spring comes,go to the flowers --why keep on sucking wax?XVII In my solitudeI have seen things very clearlythat were not true.XVIII Water is good, so is thirst;shadow is good, so is sun;the honey from the rosemarysand the honey of the bare fields.XIX Only one creed stands:quod elixum est ne asato.Don't roast what's already boiled.XX Sing on, sing on, sing on,the cricket in his cagenear

his darling tomato.XXI Form your letters slowly and well:making things wellis more important than making them.XXII All the same... Ah yes! All the same,moving the legs fast is important,as the snail said to the greyhound.XXIII There are really men of action now!The marsh was dreamingof its mosquitoes.XXIV Wake up, you poets:let echoes end,and voices begin.XXV But don't hunt for dissonance;because, in the end, there is no dissonance.When the sound is heard people dance.XXVI What the poet is searching foris not the fundamental Ibut

the deep you.XXVII The eyes you're longing for --listen now --the eyes you see yourself inare eyes because they see you.XXVIII Beyond living and dreamingthere is something more important:waking up.XXIX Now someone has come up with this!Cogito ergo non sum.What an exaggeration!XXX I thought my fire was out,and stirred the ashes...I burnt my fingers.XXXI Pay attention now:a heart that's all by itselfis not a heart.XXXII I've caught a glimpse of him in dreams:expert hunter of himself,every minute in ambush.XXXIII He caught his bad man:the one who on sunny dayswalks with head

down.XXXIV If a poem becomes common,passed around, hand to hand, it's OK:gold is chosen for coins.XXXV If it's good to live,then it's better to be asleep dreaming,and best of all,mother, is to awake.XXXVI Sunlight is good for waking,but I prefer bells --the best thing about morning.XXXVII Among the figs I am soft.Among the rocks I am hard.That's bad!XXXVIII When I am alonehow close my friends are;when I am with themhow distant they are!XXXIX Now, poet, your prophecy?"Tomorrow what is dumb will speak,the human heart and the stone."XL But art?

It is pure and intense play,so it is like pure and intense life,so it is like pure and intense fire.You'll see the coal burning.

-- from Times Alone: Selected Poems of Antonio Machado, Translated by Robert Bly

Amazon.com / Photo by lanchongzi /

============

Thought for the Day:

The ego is a tension in the awareness.It is a psychic muscle spasm.When you finally relax out of it,the relief is so immensethat you are overcome with bliss.

============

Here's your Daily Music selection --

Sufi Moon

Sufi Moon

Listen - Purchase

More Music Selections

Hi Alan -Aren't these riddling, haiku-like proverbs wonderful? I'm not sure they all entirely make sense even, but they bring the mind to a stop in contemplation and happy confusion.Gathered together, I notice certain themes in these verses: Water keeps appearing, how its flow animates us and sustains us as it does the world. Narcissism and relationship with others. Action and stillness, how stillness underlies action, stillness suggesting something of the eternal. The seeing beyond the surface of reality to its inner depths, seeing the true nature of things. Waking up. And the secret, mysterious self.Let's just take a look at the opening verse, delightful and arcane:The eye you see is notan eye because you see it;it is an eye because it sees you.That first verse draws me in immediately. If I really want to find meaning in that first verse,

perhaps he is saying that an eye is not an eye because it appears to be so (not "because you see it") but because it sees. Maybe he is suggesting that it is not surface appearance but function and action that reveals the true nature of things. ...But I don't think reading such specific meaning in the verse is as important as simply being knocked cold by it.Almost every pithy, strange saying stands out to me here. I could highlight them all. Instead, I encourage you to go back and read them slowly, one at a time, let them parade through the back of your thoughts as you go through your day. What are they saying to youIvan

Share Your Thoughts on today's poem or my commentary...

Donations to the Poetry ChaikhanaA sincere thank you for your donations this past few weeks:- William (AZ), Eirene (CA), Dr. T. (TX), John (CA), Katharine (CA)And a big thank you also to the new paid r:- KaarenI am so grateful for each and every contribution. Your support makes a big difference in maintaining the Poetry Chaikhana.---A few reasons to consider making a donation of your own...

How much is $2/month? The cost of one cup of chai. Less, actually.

I know economic times are tight for many people. A small amount contributed each month is as helpful as a larger one-time donation.

The poem email sets a nice tone for the day.

Save the sacred poets! Ivan spends a certain amount of time each month searching for translations of poets and saints throughout history. Your donation helps him to continue this work.

Donating is easy: Just drop a check in the mail, or take a minute online with PayPal.

Support the Poetry Chaikhana

Donations to the Poetry Chaikhana in any amount are always welcome. Thank you!

Click here

You can also support the Poetry Chaikhana, as well as the authors and publishers of sacred poetry, by purchasing some of the recommended books through the links on this site. Thank you!

Click here

A small amount each month makes a big difference. Become a voluntary Subscriber for just $2/mo.

Click here

Help the Poetry Chaikhana reach more people. Become a Supporter for just $10/mo.

Poetry Chaikhana HomeNew | Books | Music | Teahouse | About | ContactPoets by: Name| Tradition | Timeline Poetry by: Theme | CommentaryBlog | Forum | Facebook | Twitter www.Poetry-Chaikhana.com Poetry ChaikhanaP.O. Box 2320Boulder, CO 80306

Ivan M. Granger's original poetry, stories and commentaries are 2002 - 2008 by Ivan M. Granger.All other material is copyrighted by the respective authors, translators and/or publishers.

============

Plain Text: If you have any difficulty reading this HTML formatted email, please let me know and I can send you plain text emails instead. Cancelling: If you wish to stop receiving this Daily Poem email from the Poetry Chaikhana, simply reply to this email and change the Subject to "Cancel".