That which remains changeless is the Self

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

The Teachings of BhagavanSri Ramana Maharshiin His Own WordsCHAPTER ONETHE

NATURE

OF

MANBhagavan often cited man's continued existence

during deep,dreamless sleep as a proof that he exists independent of theego and the body-sense. He also referred to the state of deepsleep

as a body-free and ego-free state.Devotee: I don't know whether the Self is different from the ego.Bhagavan: In what state were you in deep sleep?D.: I don't know.B.: Who doesn't know? The waking self? But you don'tdeny that you existed while in deep sleep?D.: I was and am, but I don't know who was in deep sleep.B.: Exactly. The waking man says that he did not knowanything in the state of deep sleep. Now he sees objects and knowsthat he exists but in deep sleep there were no objects and no spectator.And yet the same person who is speaking now existed in deep sleepalso. What is the difference between the two states? There

are objectsand the play of the senses now, while in deep sleep there were not.A new entity, the ego, has arisen. It acts through the senses, seesobjects, confuses itself with the body and claims to

be the Self. Inreality, what was in deep sleep continues to be now also. The Self ischangeless. It is the ego which has come between. That which risesand sets is the ego. That which remains changeless is the Self.11 Talks with Sri Ramana Maharshi, 143.