IndiaDivine.org

Kas2005v2.0 - TIME ZONES

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Donna , I am placing this mail on the group message board to find out if any other member has faced this difficulty and if the problem was solved, or or am I on the wrong track.

In the KAS 2005 program when I tried to enter a particular Time Zone figure in the DATA ENTRY Module I got a message

" A user has restricted value that can be entered into this cell".

The restriction refers to the given 47 time zones made standard for this cell. The reference for these time zones does not seem to be GMT which is the usual reference by convention. That is, East of GMT is (+) hours and West of GMT (–) hours. I thought IST - 5.30 is possibly for India. But this does not seem to be the case because the chart obtained for India using this time zone gives a totally incorrect answer. So how does one get the time zone for India which is GMT +5:30 and any other time zone not referenced as above? I particularly wanted SUDAN (Africa) time zone which normally is GMT +2.00 but this I cannot enter because of the

restricting entry clause. Many time zones are indicated but I could not get the appropriate zone for India or Sudan.

Almost all astrological programs (at least the ones I have used – western or vedic) need the time with reference to GMT and does not need the various time zones referenced in this program separately. Even the ASTRODIENST website which is the standard site to find out the coordinates for any location and the relevant time zone uses GMT as the reference. So would it not be simpler to use this one reference which eliminates the need of giving all the various time zones and avoid confusion & difficulties? You have in any case given a separate cell of Daylight Saving information. So if only one reference is given it will eliminate all difficulties. Has any other member faced this problem? Or Am I missing something here? Of course I would not know how difficult is to make such a change in the program.

Vipin Mehta

Search presents - Jib Jab's 'Second Term'

Dear Vipin -

Donna , I am placing this mail on the group message board to find out if any other member has faced this difficulty and if the problem was solved, or or am I on the wrong track.

The restriction refers to the given 47 time zones made standard for this cell. The reference for these time zones does not seem to be GMT which is the usual reference by convention. That is, East of GMT is (+) hours and West of GMT (–) hours. I thought IST - 5.30 is possibly for India. But this does not seem to be the case because the chart obtained for India using this time zone gives a totally incorrect answer. So how does one get the time zone for India which is GMT +5:30 and any other time zone not referenced as above? I particularly wanted SUDAN (Africa) time zone which normally is GMT +2.00 but this I cannot enter because of the restricting entry clause. Many time zones are indicated but I could not get the appropriate zone for India or Sudan.

The problem you have as I've stated before has something to do with your system and not the program as all the calculations are being computed correctly. I can only list the time zones in one reference only as they are on an optional list of selections and the programs that I use BOTH have these time zone lists exactly as I have listed. One program is Vedic and the other program is Western. For those of you who care to check it, please refer to Brian Conrad's Jyotish Tools program for Vedic and those of you who might have the astrology program by Matrix called Winstar Express, will also see the same list in the same way, so it's just a matter of referencing the list.

There are other programs that don't use this at all and just have you put in the longitude or latitude by hand, separated by a dot. I originally listed them in this manner but somone else complained about that too, saying that it was too confusing, so no matter what I choose to do in this instance, there will always be someone who gets confused about something. But rest assured, the time zone computations are being correctly computed behind the scenes. So I would think that it's your system that isn't giving you access somehow to the options, just like it was the first time.

Almost all astrological programs (at least the ones I have used – western or vedic) need the time with reference to GMT and does not need the various time zones referenced in this program separately. Even the ASTRODIENST website which is the standard site to find out the coordinates for any location and the relevant time zone uses GMT as the reference. So would it not be simpler to use this one reference which eliminates the need of giving all the various time zones and avoid confusion & difficulties? You have in any case given a separate cell of Daylight Saving information.

This was done for calculation purposes and is being computed correctly according to the limitations of the Excel program.

So if only one reference is given it will eliminate all difficulties. Has any other member faced this problem? Or Am I missing something here? Of course I would not know how difficult is to make such a change in the program.

A suggestion. Try reinstalling the program once again. Maybe after you made the initial changes to your system as per my first suggestion, it might've needed you to reinstall everything and start again similar to a reboot. Just a thought.

Donna