IndiaDivine.org

Gauranga Janma Lila

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Lord Krishna thought in Goloka, "I shall personally inaugurate the religion of the age; nama-sankirtana, the congregational chanting of the holy name of the Lord in the form of Lord Gauranga. By accepting the role of a devotee, I shall make the whole world dance in ecstasy, and thus realize the four mellows of loving devotional service. In this way, I shall teach devotional service to others by personally practicing it, for whatever a great personality does, common people will follow. Of course, My plenary portions can establish the religious principles for each age, but only I can bestow the kind of loving devotional service which is performed by the residents of Vraja."

Besides this secondary reason for Lord Krishna to appear once more, taking the form of a devotee, there is another confidential purpose of a very personal nature. Even though Lord Krishna had tasted the essence of loving mellows by performing His conjugal pastimes in the company of the gopis, He was not able to fulfill three desires.

Therefore, after His disappearance, the Lord thought, "Although I am the Absolute Truth, and the reservoir of all rasas, I cannot understand the strength of Radharani's love, with which She always overwhelms Me. Indeed, the love of Radharani is My teacher, and I am Her dancing pupil, for Her love makes Me dance in various novel ways. Whatever pleasure I get from tasting My love for Shrimati Radharani, She relishes ten million times more, by Her love. Although there is nothing greater than Radha's love, since it is all pervading, it nonetheless expands constantly and is completely devoid of pride. There is nothing purer than Radha's love, and yet its behavior is always perverse and crooked."

"Shri Radhika is the highest abode of love, and I am its only object. I taste the bliss to which the object is entitled, but Radha's pleasure is ten million times greater than Mine. Therefore, My mind becomes mad to taste the pleasure that is experienced by the abode of love, although I cannot do so.

Only if I can somehow become the abode of that love, will I be able to experience its joy."

This was one desire that increasingly blazed in Lord Krishna's heart. Then, upon seeing His own beauty, Lord Krishna began to consider as follows: "My sweetness is unlimitedly wonderful. Only Radhika can taste the complete nectar of My sweetness, by the strength of Her love, which acts just like a mirror whose clarity increases at every moment. Although My sweetness, being without limit, seemingly has no room for expansion, it shines forth with newer and newer beauty, and thus constantly competes with the mirror of Radharani's love, as they both go on increasing without admitting defeat.Devotees taste My sweetness according to their respective love, and if I see that sweetness reflected in a mirror, I also become tempted to taste it, although I cannot. Upon deliberation, I find that the only way I can relish My sweetness is to take the position of Shrimati Radharani."

This was Lord Krishna's second desire, and His third desire was expressed while thinking as follows: "Everyone says that I am the reservoir of all transcendental bliss, and indeed, all the world derives pleasure from Me alone. Who then could give Me pleasure? I think that only someone having a hundred times more qualities than Myself could give pleasure to My mind, but such a person is impossible to find."

"And yet, in spite of the fact that My beauty is unsurpassed, and gives pleasure to all who perceive it, the sight of Shrimati Radharani gives pleasure to My eyes. Although the vibration of My flute attracts everyone within the three worlds, My ears become enchanted by the sweet words spoken by Radharani. Although My body lends its fragrance to the entire creation, the scent of Radharani's limbs captivates My mind and heart. Although there are various tastes due to Me alone, I become charmed by the nectarean taste of Radharani's lips. Although My touch is cooler than ten million moons, I become refreshed by the touch of Shrimati Radharani. Thus, in spite of the fact that I am the source of happiness for the entire world, the beauty and attributes of Shri Radhika are My very life and soul."

"My eyes become fully satisfied by looking at Shrimati Radharani, and yet, when She gazes at Me, She feels even greater satisfaction. The whispering murmur of the bamboo trees that rub against one another steals away Radharani's mind, for She thinks it to be the sound of My flute. She embraces a tamala tree, mistaking it for Me, and thus She considers, 'I have gotten the embrace of Krishna, and so now My life has become fulfilled.' When the fragrance of My body is carried to Her by the wind, Radharani becomes blinded by love and tries to fly into that breeze. When She tastes the betel nut that has been chewed by Me, She merges into an ocean of joy, and forgets everything else."

"Thus, even with hundreds of mouths, I could not express the pleasure which Radharani derives from My association. Indeed, upon seeing the luster of Her complexion after Our pastimes together, I consider My own happiness to be negligent. Expert sexologists say that the happiness of the lover and the beloved are equal, but they do not know the nature of transcendental love in Vrindavana. Because of the indescribable pleasure which Radharani experiences, I can understand that there is some unknown mellow within Me that controls Her entire existence."

"I am always very eager to taste the joy that Shrimati Radharani derives from Me, and yet, in spite of endeavoring, I have been unable to do so.

Therefore, in order to fulfill My three desires, I shall assume Shri Radhika's bodily complexion and ecstatic loving sentiment, and then descend as an incarnation."

Desiring to understand the glory of Radharani's love, the wonderful qualities in Him that She alone relishes through Her love, and the happiness that She feels upon realizing the sweetness of His love, the Supreme Lord, Gauranga-Krishna, decided to appear in a form that was richly endowed with Her emotions. First of all, the Lord had His respectable superiors incarnate on the earth, such as His mother and father, Shri Sachidevi and Jagannatha Mishra. In addition, there was Madhavendra Puri, Keshava Bharati, Ishvara Puri, Advaita Acharya, Shrivasa Pandita, Thakura Haridasa, Acharyaratna and Vidyanidhi.

Before the appearance of Lord Shri Gauranga Mahaprabhu, all of the devotees in the Navadvipa area used to gather at the house of Advaita Acharya. In these meetings, Advaita Acharya preached on the basis of Bhagavad-Gita and Shrimad-Bhagavatam, decrying the paths of philosophical speculation and fruitive activity, and firmly establishing the superexcellence of devotional service. In the house of Advaita Acharya, the devotees took pleasure in always talking about Krishna, worshipping Krishna, and chanting the Hare Krishna maha-mantra.

However, Advaita Acharya felt very pained to see how practically all the people of the world were devoid of Krishna consciousness and completely merged into material sense enjoyment. Knowing that no one can gain relief from the cycle of repeated birth and death without taking an interest in the devotional service of the Lord, Advaita Acharya compassionately pondered over the means whereby people could become delivered from the clutches of maya.

Advaita Acharya thought, "Only if Lord Krishna personally appears and preaches the path of devotional service by His own example, will liberation become possible for all people. Therefore, I shall worship the Lord in a purified state of mind and constantly petition Him with all humility.

Indeed, my name Advaita will be fitting only if I am able to induce Lord Krishna to inaugurate the sankirtana movement of chanting the holy name, which is the only religion for this age."

While Advaita Acharya thought about how to satisfy Krishna by His worship, the following verse came to mind: "Shri Krishna, who is very affectionate toward His devotees, sells Himself to one who offers Him merely a tulasi leaf and a palmful of water." (Gautamiya-tantra)

Advaita Acharya considered the meaning of this verse in the following way: "Lord Krishna cannot find any way to repay the debt which He owes to one who offers Him a tulasi leaf and water. Therefore, the Lord concludes, 'Since there is nothing in My possession which is equal to a tulasi leaf and water, I will liquidate the debt by offering Myself to the devotee.' " Thereafter, while meditating upon the lotus feet of Shri Krishna, Advaita Acharya constantly offered tulasi buds in water from the Ganga. While thus engaged in worship, Advaita Acharya petitioned Krishna to appear by His loud cries, and this repeated invitation attracted the attention of the Lord, causing Him to descend.

Shri Upendra Mishra, a brahmana who was formerly the gopala named Parjanya, the grandfather of Lord Krishna, was a great devotee and scholar. One of Upendra's seven sons, Jagannatha Mishra, moved from Shrihatta to the banks of the Ganga at Nadia, and then married Shrimati Sachidevi, the daughter of Nilambara Chakravarti, who was formerly Gargamuni.

Before the appearance of Shri Gauranga Mahaprabhu, Jagannatha Mishra (who was formerly Nanda Maharaja) begot eight daughters in the womb of Sachidevi (who was formerly Yashoda), but just after birth, they all died. Being very aggrieved at the loss of his children, one after another, Jagannatha Mishra worshiped Lord Vishnu, while desiring a son. Thereafter, Sachimata gave birth to a baby boy named Vishvarupa, who was an incarnation of Lord Baladeva. Being very pleased, the mother and father began to serve the lotus feet of Lord Govinda even more devotedly, because they realized that their happiness was by His mercy.

Then, in the month of Magha (18th February 1486) of the year 1406, Shaka era, Lord Krishna entered the bodies of both Jagannatha Mishra and Sachidevi. Thereafter, Jagannatha informed his wife, "I see many wonderful things! Your body seems to be effulgent, and it appears as if the goddess of fortune is personally residing in our house. Wherever I go, everyone offers me respect, and even without asking, they give me money, cloth and grains." Sachimata replied, "I also see wonderfully brilliant beings, appearing in the sky, as if offering prayers."

Jagannatha Mishra then said, "In a dream I saw the effulgent abode of the Supreme Lord enter into my heart. Then, from my heart it entered your heart, and thus I can understand that a great personality will soon take birth."

After this conversation, both husband and wife felt very jubilant, and with great care and attention they rendered service unto the household Shalagrama-shila.

However, when Sachimata's pregnancy approached the thirteenth month, and still there was no sign of delivery, Jagannatha Mishra became very apprehensive. At that time, Nilambara Chakravarti made an astrological calculation and predicted that the child would be born that very month, taking advantage of an auspicious moment.

Thus it so happened that on the evening of the Phalguni purnima, in the year 1407 Shaka era, corresponding to the modern year 1486, Shri Chaitanya Mahaprabhu made His appearance at Navadvipa. At this time, Rahu considered, "When the spotless moon of Chaitanya Mahaprabhu is about to become visible, what need is there for a moon which is full of black marks?" Thinking in this way, Rahu covered the full moon, and so all of the Hindus went to the banks of the Ganga in order to bathe and chant the names "Krishna" and "Hari". While the Hindus were thus vibrating the holy names of the Lord, the Mohammedans jokingly imitated them. In this way, at the time of Lord Chaitanya's appearance, everyone was engaged in chanting the Hare Krishna maha-mantra.

In all directions and within everyone's mind there was peacefulness and joy.

In Shantipura, Advaita Acharya and Haridasa Thakura began chanting and dancing in a very pleasing mood, although no one could understand why they did so. While laughing again and again, they also went to the Ganga, and at that time, Advaita Acharya took advantage of the lunar eclipse to distribute all kinds of charity to the brahmanas. Upon seeing how the whole world had become jubilant, Haridasa Thakura addressed Advaita Acharya in great astonishment, "Since Your dancing and distribution of charity appears very pleasing to me, I can understand that You have some very special purpose."

In Navadvipa, Shrivasa Thakura and Acharyaratna, who was also called Chandrashekhara, immediately went to bathe in the Ganga, and while chanting the holy name of the Lord in great jubilation, they also gave charity by dint of mental strength. Indeed, wherever they were situated, all of the devotees danced, chanted and gave charity on the plea of the lunar eclipse, their minds overwhelmed with joy. Even in the heavenly planets, chanting and dancing was going on, for the demigods were very eager to witness the transcendental appearance of the Lord. (From Shri Chaitanya-Charitamrita)

Gauranga-Janma-Lila

Chp Two, Chaitanya-Bhagavata by Shrila Vrindavana dasa Thakura

Text 1 Glory, glory to Lord Gaurasundara Mahaprabhu! Glory to the great Supreme Personality of Godhead, the son of Jagannatrha Misra! Text 2 Glory to He who is the life and soul of Nityananda and Gadadhara! Glory, glory to He who is the shelter of Advaita and the devotees! Text 3 Glory, glory to Lord Gauranga and His personal associates! He attains devotional service who hears these topics of Lord Caitanya.

Text 4 Again I bow down before the feet of the Lord and His devotees. In this way I hope that Lord Caitanya's descent to this world may appear on my tongue.

Text 5 Glory, glory to Lord Gauracandra, who is an ocean of mercy! Glory, glory to Lord Nityananda, who is devotional service personified! Text 6 They are two brothers and They are devotees of the Lord. Still, Their real identities are unknown. Only by Their mercy is the truth about Them revealed.

Text 7 Lord Krsna mercifully appeared before Brahma and other great devotees. This is described in Srimad-Bhagavatam, the Vedas, and all the scriptures.

Text 8 In Srimad-Bhagavatam (2.4.22, it is said:

"May the Lord, who is the beginning of the creation amplified the potent knowledge of Brahma from within his heart and inspired him with full knowledge of creation and of His own Self, and who appeared to be generated from the mouth of Brahma, be pleased with me."*

Text 9 When in ancient times he was born from the Lord's lotus navel, Brahma did not have the power to see anything.

Text 10 However, when Brahma completely surrendered to Him, the Supreme Lord mercifully appeared before him.

Text 11 Only by Lord Krsna's mercy was Brahma able to understand the Supreme Lord, the origin of all incarnations.

Text 12 Lord Krsnacandra's descent to this material world is very difficult to understand. Without first attaining the Lord's mercy, who has the power to understand it? Text 13 Lord Krsna's descent to the material world and His pastimes are inconceivable and unapproachable. In Srimad-Bhagavatam (10.14.21, Brahma declared:

Text 14 "O supreme great one! O Supreme Personality of Godhead! O Supersoul, master of all mysti power! Your pastimes are taking place continuously in these worlds, but who can estimate where, how, and when You are employing Your spiritual energy and performing Your pastimes? No one can understand the mystery of these activities."*

Text 15

Who has the power to know the reason why Lord Krsnacandra descends to this world? Text 16

Still, the reason for the Lord's descent is given in Sri and Bhagavad-gita.

Texts Texts 17-18

In Bhagavad-gita (4.7-8, Lord Krsna declares:

"Whenever and wherever these is a decline in religious practice, O descendent of Bharata, and a predominant rise in irreligion-at that time I descend Myself.*

"In order to deliver the pious and annihilate the miscreants, as well as to reestablish the principles of religion, I advent Myself millennium after millennium."*

Text 19 When religious practice declines, then, day by day, irreligion becomes stronger and stronger.

Text 20 When this occurs, Brahma and the demigods approach the Supreme Lord and pray that the devotees be protected and the demons vanquished.

Text 21 At that time, in order to firmly establish the yuga-dharma (religion of the age), the Supreme Lord, accompanied by His expansions and associates, descends to the earth.

Text 22 The religion of Kali-yuga is Hari-sankirtana (chanting the holy names of Lord Krsna). To firmly establish this religion, the Lord descended as the son of Saci.

Text 23 Srimad-Bhagavatam describes the best of all truths, the truth that in order to establish the sankirtana movement, the Lord descended as Lord Caitanya.

Texts Texts 24-25

In Srimad-Bhagavatam (11.5.31-32, it is said:

iti dvapara urvisa

stuvanti jagad-isvaram

nana-tantra-vidhanena

kalat api tatha srnu

"In the age of kali, as well as in Dvapara-yuga, the people offer prayers to the Supreme Personality of Godhead by various mantras and observe the regulative principles of the supplementary Vedi literatures. Now please hear of this from me.*

krsna-varnam tvisakrsnam

sangopangastra-parsadam

yajnaih sankirtana-prayair

yajanti hi su-medhasah

"In this age of Kali, those who are intelligent perform the congregational chanting of the Hare Krsna maha-mantra, worshiping the Supreme Personality of Godhead, who appears in this age always describing the glories of Krsna. That incarnation is yellowish in hue and is always associated with His plenary expansions (such as Sri Nityananda Prabhu), and personal expansions (such as Gadadhara), as well as devotees and associates (such as Svarupa Damodara)."*

Text 26 Lord Caitanya-Narayana has revealed that in Kali-yuga Hari-sankirtana is the best of all religious activities.

Text 27 Therefore, accompanied by all His personal associates, the Supreme Lord descended to this world in the Kali-yuga to establish the sankirtana movement.

Text 28 Following His order, the Lord's personal associates also took birth in the world of human beings.

Text 29 Ananta, Siva, Brahma, and the great sages took birth as the Supreme Lord's personal associates.

Text 30 They all took birth as great devotees of the Lord. Lord Krsna was well aware of their true identities.

Text 31 Some took birth in Navadvipa, some in Cati-grama, some in Radha-desa, some in Orissa, some in Srihatta, and some in the west.

Text 32 Although they descended to the earth in these different places, these devotees assembled in Navadvipa.

Text 33 Although many of these Vaisnavas took birth in Navadvipa, some of the Vaisnavas most dear to the Lord were born in other places.

Texts Texts 34-35 Srivasa Pandita, Sri Rama Pandita, and Sri Candrasekharadeva, who are worshiped in the three worlds, and the physician named Murari Gupta, who cures the disease of repeated birth and death, descended to this world in Srihatta.

Texts Texts 36-37 The great Vaisnavas Pundarika Vidyanidhi, Caitanya Vallabha, and Vasudeva Datta appeared in Cati-grama. Haridasa desended to this world in Budhana.

Text 38 In Radha-desa is a village named Ekacakra. In that village the Supreme Personality of Godhead, Lord Nityananda, descended to this world.

Text 39 Although He is the father of everyone, Lord Nityananda pretended that His father was a devotee named Hadai Pandita, who was the king of the pure brahmanas.

Text 40 Thus Lord Nityananda Rama, who is an ocean of mercy, the giver of devotion, and the shelter of the devotees, descended to this world in Radha-desa.

Text 41 At that moment the demigods secretly showered flowers and secretly called out "Jaya! Jaya!"

Text 42 From that day on the country of Radha-desa grew more and more prosperous and auspicious.

Text 43 Paramananda Puri, who associated with the Lord in the pastimes at Jagannatha Puri, appeared in Trihut.

Text 44 The places by the Ganga's shores are all pure and sacred. Why, then, did these Vaisnavas take birth in impious, lamentable places?

Text 45 Lord Caitanya Himself descended to this world by the Ganga's shore. Why, then, did His personal associates take birth in other, distant places?

Text 46 The Pandavas never went to any place where the Ganga or the holy names of Lord Hari were absent.

Text 47 Because He loves all living entities as a father loves his children, the Supreme Lord ordered these great devotees to take birth in these different places.

Text 48 To deliver the residents of the material world, Lord Caitanya descended to the world of matter.

Text 49 Thinking them equal to holy places, these great Vaisnavas took birth in lamentable impious countries and lamentable impious families. In this way they delivered everyone.

Text 50 In whatever country and whatever family they descended to this world, with their great power these Vaisnavas delivered everyone in an area of eight-hundred thousand miles.

Text 51 Any place where the Vaisnavas manifest their glories becomes very pure and sacred, a place of pilgrimage.

Text 52 Therefore Lord Caitanya-Narayana arranged that His devotees descend to the material world in all these different places.

Text 53 Although they descended to this world in many different places, these great devotees assembled in Navadvipa.

Text 54 They assembled in Navadvipa, for that is where the Lord descended to this world.

Text 55 No city in the world is like Navadvipa, for that is where Lord Caitanya descended to this world.

Text 56 Aware that the Lord would appear there, the demigod Brahma filled Navadvipa with all that is auspicious.

Text 57 Who can describe the opulences of Navadvipa? On even one of its ghatas hundreds and thousands come to bathe in the Ganga.

Text 58 By Goddess Sarasvati's grace many hundreds of thousands of learned scholars in all three ages of life stayed in Navadvipa.

Text 59 All the scholars there were arrogant. Even boys would aggressively debate their learned elders.

Text 60 People from different provinces would come to Navadvipa. There they would develop a taste for learning.

Text 61 No one could count how many students or how many thousands and millions of teachers stayed there.

Text 62 Favered by Goddess Laksmi's glance, everyone was happy. Still, interested only in the taste of material things, they wasted their lives.

Text 63 No one was interested in devotional service to Lord Krsna and Lord Rama.

>From the beginning of Kali-yuga, this disinterest had grown more and more.

Text 64 The only religion the people knew was keeping an all-night vigil and singing songs to Goddess Mangala Candi (Durga).

Text 65 Some proudly worshiped the snake-goddess Manasa. Others offered great wealth to the deities of demigods and demigoddesses.

Text 66 Spending for the weddings of their sons and daughters, they lost great wealth. In this way they wasted their time in this world.

Text 67 Even the Bhattacaryas, Cakravartis, and Misras did not know the true meaning of the scriptures.

Text 68 Although they taught the scriptures, they were materialistic. Yama's noose already rested around the necks of both them and their students.

Text 69 No one would discuss Krsna-kirtana, which is the true yuga-dharma (religion of the age). If they could not mock the faults of others, no one was interested to speak. No one wanted to praise others.

Text 70 The holy names of Lord Hari could not be found in the mouths of persons proud to be renounced and asutere.

Text 71 The most deeply pious persons would perhaps say the name "Govinda" or "Pundarikaksa" as they bathed.

Text 72 Descriptions of devotional service did not appear on tongues explaining Bhagavad-gita and Srimad-Bhagavatam.

Text 73 Seeing the whole world bewildered by Lord Visnu's maya potency, the devotees felt a suffering that had no end.

Text 74 They said, "How will these souls be delivered? They are all trapped in the spell of Maya's happiness.

Text 75 "They do not chant the holy name of Lord Krsna. Their discussion of material knowledge never ends." Text 76 The true devotees of the Lord performed their devotional duties. They worshiped Lord Krsna, bathed in the Ganga, and discussed topics of Lord Krsna.

Text 77 The devotees would meet and bless everyone in the world. They would pray, "O Lord Krsnacandra, please quickly give Your mercy to everyone."

Text 78 The leader of the Navadvipa Vaisnavas was named Advaita Acarya. He was the most glorious person in the world.

Text 79 He was the best teacher of jnana (knowledge), bhakti (devotional service), and vairagya (renunciation). His explanations of Krsna-bhakti (devotion to Krsna, were like those spoken by Lord Siva Himself.

Text 80 When discussing any passage in any one of the many scriptures in the three worlds, He always interpreted every verse to mean: "Devotion to Lord Krsna's feet is the best of all spiritual paths".

Text 81 Offering Tulasi-manjaris and Ganga water, again and again He happily worshiped Lord Krsna.

Text 82 Pushed by love for Lord Krsna, He would loudly chant Lord Krsna's names.

The names He called broke through the boundaries of the material world and entered the world of Vaikuntha.

Text 83 Hearing this loving call, Lord Krsna, who is conquered by devotion, personally appeared.

Text 84 Advaita was the first of the Vaisnavas. He was the most glorious follower of bhakti-yoga in the entire world.

Text 85 In this way Advaita stayed in Navadvipa. Seeing that the people had no devotion to the Lord, He became very unhappy.

Text 86 Everyone was mad after the taste of material happiness. No one was eager to worship and serve Lord Krsna.

Text 87 Some worshiped Goddess Vasuli (Durga, with many offerings. Others worshiped the yaksas with offerings of flesh and wine.

Text 88 Again and again the danced, sang, and played musical instruments, making a great noise. Still, they would not hear the supremely auspicious name of Lord Krsna.

Text 89 The demigods are not pleased by worship not directed to Lord Krsna. Seeing that the people would not worship Lord Krsna, Advaita became very unhappy at heart.

Text 90 Advaita was naturally very merciful at heart. In His heart He tried to plan how to deliver the people.

Text 91 He thought, "If My Lord descends to this world, then everyone will be delivered.

Text 92 "If I can make Lord Krsna, the beloved of Vaikuntha, visible in this world, then I will become glorious, and I will be known as 'Advaita-simha' (Advaita the lion).

Text 93 When I personally bring the Lord of Vaikuntha to this world, and by doing that deliver every soul, I will sing and dance." Text 94 Again and again thinking in this way, with great determination He served Lord Krsna's feet.

Text 95 Again and again Lord Caitanya declared, "It is because of Advaita that Caitanya descended to this world."

Text 96 Srivasa Pandita, at whose home Lord Caitanya enjoyed many pastimes, resided in Navadvipa.

Text 97 The four brothers (Srivasa, Srirama, Sripati, and Srinidhi, always chanted Lord Krsna's holy names. Three times daily they bathed in the Ganga and worshiped Lord Krsna.

Text 98 By the Supreme Lord's order, many liberated souls took birth in this world and, their true identities concealed, resided in the district of Nadiya.

Text 99 These devotees were Sri Candrasekhara, Jagadisa, Gopinatha, Sriman, Murari, Sri Garuda, and Gangadasa.

Text 100 I have mentioned the names only of some of the great souls I personally knew. If I described all of the Lord's associates, this book would become very large.

Text 101 All these great souls were noble and generous. They were attentive to their proper duties. They did not know anything but devotional service to Lord Krsna.

Text 102 They thought of each other as friends. They did not know that they were liberated souls who had descended from the spiritual world.

Text 103 When they saw that there was no devotion to Lord Visnu in the entire world, their hearts burned with grief.

Text 104 They did not hear anyone discuss topics of Lord Krsna. Therefore amongst themselves they glorified Lord Krsna.

Text 105 they would meet in Advaita's home and talk about Krsna for an hour or two.

In this way all their sufferings would go away.

Text 106 Seeing everyone burning in the flames of materialism, they devotees could not speak. They could only weep.

Text 107 Meeting with Advaita, the devotees tried to make the people understand all this, but the people could not understand.

Text 108 Filled with grief, Advaita began to fast. The Vaisnavas breathed with long and heavy sighs.

Text 109 "Why dance for Krsna? Why chant His names? What is this 'sankirtana' the Vaisnavas talk about?"

Text 110 Speaking these words, the people in general could not understand anything.

They desired only money and children. Gathering together, they would mock the Vaisnavas.

Text 111 At night the four brothers (Srivasa, Srirama, Sripati, and Srinidhi, would meet in Srivasa's house and loudly sing Lord Hari's holy names.

Text 112 Hearing this, the impious neighbors would declare, "That mad brahmana will ruin our village.

Text 113 "When he hears this chanting, the ferocious Muslim king will become wildly angry at the people of Nadiya."

Text 114 Someone said, "This brahmana should be driven out of our village. We should tear his house into pieces and send the pieces floating down the river.

Text 115 "If this brahmana is chased away, then our village will be peaceful and prosperous. If he is not chased away, Muslim soldiers will occupy our village."

Text 116 Hearing these words of the impious people, the devotees prayed to Lord Krsna and wept.

Text 117 Hearing these words, Advaita burned with anger. Wearing only the four directions for garments, He said to the Vaisnavas:

Text 118 "Srinivasa, Gangadasa, Suklambara, please hear Me. I will force Lord Krsna to appear before everyone's eyes.

Text 119 "Krsna will come here and deliver everyone. He will accept you all as His associates. He will teach the people Krsna-bhakti (devotional service).

Text 120 "If I fail to bring Him, I will manifest a four-armed form. In my hand I will hold a cakra.

Text 121 "I will cut apart the necks of millions of atheists. In this way I will prove that Lord Krsna is My master, and I am His servant."

Text 122 Again and again Advaita spoke in this way. Fixed in His decision, He began to worship Lord Krsna's feet.

Text 123 Weeping, and their determination fixed, all the devotees also worshiped Lord Krsna's lotus feet.

Text 124 Walking here and there in the town of Navadvipa, the devotees never heard any talk of devotional service.

Text 125 The devotees wished to leave their bodies. Calling out "Krsna!", they sighed and wept.

Text 126 Seeing that the whole world was interested only in material things, they became very unhappy. No longer did they like to place food in their mouths.

Text 127 When the devotees had rejected all material happiness, the Supreme Lord decided to descend to the material world.

128-Text 129 Ordered by the Supreme Lord, Nityananda, who is the resting-place of Ananta Sesa, descended to this world, taking birth from the woma of Padmavati, in the land of Radha-desa, in the village of Ekacakra, on an auspicious sukla-trayodasi in the month of Magha (January-February).

Text 130 Although He is the father of everyone, Lord Nityananda pretended that His father was a devotee named Hadai Pandita, who was the king of the pure brahmanas.

Text 131 In this way Lord Balarama, who is an ocean of mercy and the giver of devotional service, descended to this world and assumed the name 'Nityananda'.

Text 132 At that moment the demigods secretly showered flowers and secretly called out "Jaya! Jaya!"

Text 133 From that day on the country of Radha-desa grew more and more prosperous and auspicious.

Text 134 Accepting the garments of an avadhuta, Lord Nityananda wandered in this world to deliver the fallen souls.

Text 135 That is how Lord Ananta descended to this world. Now please hear how Lord Krsna descended.

Text 136 In Navadvipa lived a person named Jagannatha Misra. He was devotedly to duty. He was like Maharaja Vasudeva.

Text 137 He was very generous. He stood in the highest pinnacle of brahminical virtue. No one was his equal.

Text 138 He was exactly like Kasyapa, Dasaratha, Vasudeva, and Nanda.

Text 139 His wife was named Saci. She was very chaste and devoted to her husband.

She was Visnu-bhakti (devotional service, personified. She was the mother of the entire world.

Text 140 Her many daughters all passed away. Glorious Visvarupa was her only son.

Text 141 Visvarupa's form was handsome like Kamadeva. Gazing at Him, the brahmana parents became filled with joy.

Text 142 From His birth Visvarupa was renounced. When He was only a boy all the scriptures spontaneously appeared within Him.

Text 143 There would be no Visnu-bhakti (devotional service, anywhere in the material world. That is the future of the Kali-yuga.

Text 144 When true religion disappears, and when He knows that His devotees suffer, the Supreme Lord descends to this world.

Text 145 Thus the Supreme Personality of Godhead, Lord Caitanya Mahaprabhu, entered the bodies of Saci and Jagannatha.

Text 146 At that moment the words "Jaya! Jaya!" appeared in the mouths of Lord Ananta. As if in a dream, Saci and Jagannatha Misra heard those words.

Text 147 Although at that moment their forms shone with great splendor, other persons could not see it.

Text 148 Aware that the Supreme Personality of Godhead was about to descend to the material world, Brahma, Siva, and the other demigods came and recited many prayers.

Text 149 All these descriptions are present, although concealed, in the statements of the Vedas. Of this there is not any doubt.

Text 150 Now please hear the prayers Brahma and the other demigods spoke with great devotion. By hearing these confidential prayers, one becomes attracted to Lord Krsna.

Text 151 The demigods said: "Glory, glory to Lord Mahaprabhu, the father of all! Glory, glory to the Lord who to start the sankirtana movement has descended to this material world!

Text 152 "Glory, glory to the Lord who is the protector of the Vedas, religion, the devotees, and the brahmanas! Glory, glory to the Lord who is time personified, the crusher of the nondevotees!

Text 153 "Glory, glory to the Lord whose form is transcendental and eternal. Glory, glory to the Lord who is the supreme controller of all controllers, and whose every desire is at once fulfilled!

Text 154 "You reside in countless millions of universes. Now You are manifest in Saci's womb.

Text 177 "Manifesting the best handsomeness, intelligence, and pastimes, You appeared in Your original form, the form of Krsna, and enjoyed pastimes in Gokula.

Text 178 "Now, in this incarnation, You will manifest the form of a devotee of the Lord. With all Your power You will preach the sankirtana movement.

Text 179 "The whole world will be filled with sankirtana. In home after home prema-bhakti (loving devotional service, will be manifest.

Text 180 "How can we describe the bliss that will fill the worlds when, meeting with Your servants, You will dance?

Text 181 "By always meditating on Your lotus feet, Your devotees remove all inauspiciousness from this world.

Text 182 "The soles of their feet break the inauspiciousness of this world. Their glances purify the ten directions.

Text 183 "When they raise their arms and dance, the troubles present even in Svargaloka perish. Your servants are like that. Their glory is like that.

Their dancing is like that.

Text 184 "In the Padma Purana and Hari-bhakti-sudhodaya (20.68, it is said:

padbhyam bhumer diso drgbhyam

dorbhyam camangalam divah

bahudhotsadyate rajan

krsna-bhaktasya nrtyatah

"O king, when the devotees of Lord Krsna dance, their steps crush the inauspiciousness of the earth, their glances destroy the inauspiciousness of the ten directions, and their raised arms push away the inauspiciousness of the demigods' planets."

Text 185 "You are the Supreme Personality of Godhead. Bringing Your devotees with You, You have personally come to this world. You will preach the sankirtana movement and distribute pure love of God (prema).

Text 186 "O Lord, who has the power to describe Your glories? You will teach Visnu-bhakti (devotional service to Lord Visnu), which is the great secret hidden in the Vedas.

Text 187 "Hiding devotional service, You freely give liberation. We desire the gift of devotional service.

Text 188 "As the master of the universe, You give the greatest wealth as a gift to others. You do this because You possess all mercy.

Text 189 "O Lord, Your holy name brings the results of performing all yajnas. Now You have descended to this world in Navadvipa.

Text 190 "O merciful Lord, please be merciful to us. Please make us fortunate and allow us to see the pastimes You will now enjoy.

Text 191 "After some days You will fulfill Ganga-devi's long-cherished desire, for You will enjoy many pastimes in her waters.

Text 192 "You, the Supreme Personality of Godhead, whom the kings of yoga see in the trance of meditation, are now manifested in the town of Navadvipa.

Text 193 "We offer our respectful obeisances to the town of Navadvipa and the home of Saci and Jagannatha, where You descended to this world."

Text 194 In this way Brahma and the demigods, remaining invisible, daily offered prayers to the Lord.

Text 195 The Supreme Personality of Godhead, who resides everywhere in all the worlds, remained in Saci's womb. Then, when the full moon rose in the month of Phalguna (February-March), He openly manifested Himself.

Text 196 All auspiciousness that resides in all the limitless universes assembled together to be present on that full-moon night.

Text 197 The Lord descended to this world amidst the sounds of sankirtana. By a trick the Lord arranged this. In this way the Lord preached the glories of sankirtana.

Text 198 Who has the power to understand the Lord's actions? By the Lord's wish, Rahu covered the moon on that night.

Text 199 Seeing the eclipse, all of Navadvipa began to chant the auspicious names of Lord Hari.

Text 200 Limitless millions of people bathed in the Ganga and called out out "Haribol!Haribol!" Text 201 The sound of Lord Hari's name filled Nadiya. Then it filled the universe.

Even then it could not be contained.

Text 202 Hearing this great wonder, the devotees declared, "May this eclipse last forever."

Text 203 Everyone said, "Tonight everyone is filled with bliss. I think it must have been like this when Lord Krsna Himself appeared in this world."

Text 204 As all the devotees went to bathe in the Ganga, the four directions were filled with the sankirtana of Lord Hari's holy names.

Text 205 Seeing the eclipse, children, adults, women, saints, sinners, everyone called out "Hari! Hari!" Text 206 "Haribol! Haribol!" were the only sounds anyone could hear. The sound of Lord Hari's name was present everywhere in all the universes.

Text 207 The demigods showered flowers from the four directions. Again and again they beat dundubhi drums and called out "Jaya!"

Text 208 As all this occurred, the Supreme Personality of Godhead, who is the life of all the worlds, descended to the earth and became the son of Saci.

Gauranga-Janma-lila: Chaitanya Mangala by Shri Lochana dasa Thakura

Refrain: O master of the lives of Gadadhara and Narahari! O Supreme Lord! Please cast Your merciful glance on all the conditioned souls. O Lord Gauracandra, glory, glory to You!

1. Glory, glory to Lord Gauranga! Glory to Gadadhara and Narahari! Glory to all-powerful Lord Nityananda!

2. Glory, glory to Advaita Acarya, who is Lord Siva himself! Glory, glory to the great devotees of Lord Gauranga!

3. I place my head in the dust of all their feet. Now I will speak the Adi-khanda. Please listen attentively.

4. When the Lord's personal associates had taken birth on the earth, a great proclamation was sounded.

5. It said: "Everyone go to the earth. Don't delay. Our Lord will soon take birth from Saci's womb."

6. Then sounds of "Glory! Glory!" filled the universe. Filled with ecstati love, the demigods, nagas, and human beings all watched to see.

7. Some said: "It is the eternal spiritual elfulgence." Others said: "It is Lord Narayana, who is greater than the greatest and smaller than the smallest." 8. Others said: "It is the Supreme Brahman, who is greater than the greatest and smaller than the smallest." In this way the people described the Lord who had entered Saci's womb.

9. Filling qith air, Saci's woma grew larger and larger. Seeing this, everyone felt more and more spiritual love.

10. One, two, three, four, five, and sio months passed. Great bliss was manifest in Saci's womb.

11. Day by day Saci's body grew more and more effulgent. Seeing this, everyone felt great joy in their hearts.

12. No one knew who it was that had entered Saci's womb. In house after house everyone speculated on that person's identity.

13. When the sixth month ended the effulgence in Saci's woma filled her body and her entire house with light.

14. At that time there was a wonderful event. Advaita Acarya unexpectedly came there.

15. Seeing Advaita Acarya, Jagannatha Misra respectfully stood up.

16. Advaita Acarya Gosai is thwe abode of all transcendental virtues.

In all the three worlds no one is fortunate and glorious like him.

17. Seeing him, Jagannatha Misra respectfully offered a sitting place to his guest.

18. On his own head he placed the dust from Advaita Acarya's feet. He was very humble and respectful.

19. Saci-devi washed Advaita Acarya's feet with water. As she respectfully gazed at her, Advaita Acarya felt ecstati spiritual love arise within himself.

20. His two lotus eyed became red with ecstati love. Tears flowed from his eyes. His face became red.

21. His limbs trembled. He spoke broken words. He had no power to restrain himself.

22. Her circumambulated Saci, and then he bowed down before her. Seeing these unusual activities, Saci was very surprised.

23. Saci was surprised, and Jagannatha Misra was full of doubt. Unhappy at heart, he said: "Why do you do this? Why?" 24. Jagannatha Misra said: "Please hear, O Advaita Acarya. I do not understand your actions.

25. "If you are kind to me, then please dispel my doubt. Do not allow my body to burn in the flames of worry."

26. Then Advaita Acarya said: "Please hear, O Jagannatha Misra. In the future you will understand it all." That was his reply.

27. Then Advaita Acarya, learned in all the scriptures, and the hairs on his body erect, anointed Saci's glorious woma with fragrant sandal paste.

28. Seven times he circumambulated her. Then he bowed down. He said nothing. Then he left for his own home.

29. Saci and Jagannatha wondered: "Why did he bow down before my womb?" 30. In this way Advaita Acarya bowed down before Saci's womb. Now her woma became a hundred times more effulgent. Saci forgot herself.

31. She saw that everything was fill of bliss. She saw no sufferings.

She saw all the demigods were now standing before her.

32. Brahma, Siva, Sanaka, and all the demigods now offered prayers to her womb.

33. They said: "Glory, glory You, O limitless, eternal Supreme Lord who has no rival! Glory, glory to You, O Supreme Lord whose bliss is eternal and who rescues His devotees.

34. "Glory to You, who are beyond the material modes of goodness, passion, and ignorance. Glory to You, O Lord Maha-Visnu, who reside in the Karana Ocean.

35. "Glory to You, O very glorious master of the spiritual sky! Glory to You, O Lord beyond material goodness, O Lord whose form is made of spiritual goodness.

36. "Glory to You, who are the master of Goloka and the lover of Radha! Glory, glory to You, O king of limitless Vaikuntha worlds!

37. "Glory, glory to You, who are playful and graceful! Glory, glory to You, O Nanda's son, who charm the hearts of all!

38. "In the Kali-yuga You have now entered Saci's womb. You have come here to enjoy pastimes.

39. "Glory, glory to You, O Supreme Lord, O giver of transcendental bliss. No one is compassionate like You.

40. "In the Kali-yuga You come and gives Yourself. You do not consider whether the people are worthy or not to receive Your mercy.

41. "Even though again and again we begged for it, we demigods could not attain even the slightest fragrance of ecstati spiritual love.

42. "Now You will give the sweet nectar of that love to everyone, even the candalas. They will all taste it. You will not see anyone has any faults.

43. "O Lord, please allow us to taste a small particle of that love.

Please allow us to sing Sri Sri Radha'-Krsna's glories in Your company.

44. "Glory, glory to You, O Sri Gaura-Hari, O Lord who gives the gift of sankirtana!" After speaking these words, the demigods all performed circumambulation.

45. With his four mouths the demigod Brahma spoke many prayers.

Saci-devi was frightened. Her heart was full of wonder.

46. Mercy to all living entities made its appearance in Saci's heart.

Aware of the spiritual truth, she was kind to everyone. She did not think anyone an outsider.

47. Now she was ten month pregnant. Wherever she went, her heart was full of bliss. She forgot herself in bliss.

48. During the month of Phalguna, on anauspicious day, on an auspicious tithi, on an auspicious full-moon night, at an auspicious moment, the cooling moon shone.

49. Then, with surprising power, Raghu suddenly devoured the moon. At that moment a great cry of "Hari! Hari!" rose in the four directions.

50. A sweet divine fragrance filled with four directions. Then ten directions became clear and blissful. A gentle, gentle breeze blew.

51. Then the six seasons appeared simultaneously. At that auspicious moment the Supreme Personality of Godhead was born on the earth.

52. Yearing to see Lord Gaura's form, the demigods flew their airplanes through outer space.

53. At that time "Hari! Hari!" was the only sound anyone heard. In this way my Lord took birth.

54. At the time the gloruy of Vaikuntha entered Saci's courtyard.

Overcome with bliss, Saci called out in a voice choked with emotion.

55. To Jagannatha Misra, who was near at hand, she called: "Now our births have borne their fruit. Look at your son's face!"

56. The village ladies happily called out, "Jaya! Jaya!" Seeing the newborn infant, everyone was overcome with bliss.

57. The demigods, Vedas, and Naga girls all came. Seeing Lord Gauranga, they all called out, "Jaya! Seeing the newborn infant, everyone was overcome with bliss.

57. The demigods, Vedas, and Naga girls all came. Seeing Lord Gauranga, they all called out, "Jaya! Jaya!" 58. Lord Gaura's fragrance filled the worlds. His every lima was an endless flood of nectar.

59. Gazing and gazing at Him, every eye felt cooling bliss. In every heart arose the thought: "This boy must be Lord Krsna, the very life of Vraja's girls.

60. "Never have I seen or heard of such a boy. What happens to my heart when I gaze at Him?

61. "Never have I seen any person like Him." A beautiful demigoddess said: "Later we will know the truth of this boy."

62. Overcome, Jagannatha Misra gazed at his son's face. The universe had no power to contain the bliss he felt in his heart.

63. How many rising moons do I see in His face? I say His face is like the petal of a blooming lotus.

64. His raised nose is like a sesame flower, I think. His fair limbs are like a flood of nectar light.

65. Gazing at His red lips, splendid graceful cheeks, and graceful chin, I feel great love arise within me.

66. His neck is like a lion's neck. His shoulders are like an elephant's shoulders. His chest is broad. His arms reach to His knees. His body is made of nectar.

67. His hips are broad. His thighs are like banana trees. His feet are like two red lotus petals.

68-69. On his soles are the marks of a flag, thunderbolt, elephant goad, lotus, chariot, parasol, camara, svastika, jambu fruit, urdhva-rekha, triangle, elephant, and waterpot. No form is like His. His form is the sweetest nectar.

70. Never had such a wonderful form come to the earth. His glory is more than the glory of the greatest kings of kings.

71. Indra and Candra, as well as many devas, gandharvas, and kinnaras all came then to the earth. Why did they become filled with such bliss and wonder? 72. Every eye became anointed with nectar. With eternal love everyone gazed at dear Lord Gaura.

73. How long did the people gaze at the newborn infant, gaze at Him as if He were a very old friend?

74. His every lima was a great flood of nectar. In their hearts what did the people feel as they gazed at Him with their eyes?

75. As they gazed at the infant boy, the people felt their hearts tremble with bliss. Why did the ladies look at Him with languid eyes? Why did their tight belts become slackened?

76-77. Everyone gazed at the newborn infant. Thinking, How many Kamadevas does this boy conquer?", everyone called out, "Jaya! Jaya! Saci's divine son is not a mortal.

78. "Saci's son is the new Kamadeva." When this nectar comes to my ears, I weep.