IndiaDivine.org

Swansea's First Krishna Centre

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Colour and pomp mark opening of Swansea's first Krishna Centre

500 people from different regions of Britain attended a colourful festival to inaugurate Swansea's first Hare Krishna Centre opened by the International Society for Krishna Consciousness on 15th June. The Centre features a large mantra meditation hall and prayer room, a traditional altar with Panca-Tattva deities, a library, gift shop and Swansea's only 100% vegetarian restaurant called Govindas. Hundreds of elegant women clad in colourful Indian sarees and men in traditional Indian dhoti-robes danced and sang at the arati ceremony when Deities of Lord Chaitanya and his associates were installed by His Holiness Sivarama Swami Maharaja.

The Centre is the brainchild of Welsh-born Hare Krishna devotee, Tarakanatha Dasa, who has assembled a team of local volunteers from Swansea and surrounding areas to run and manage it.

The festival featured kirtana, lectures, reminiscences from Prabhupada disciples and local devotees, a grand fire yajna, and a sumptuous lunch prasadam.

Activities at the Centre include mantra meditation classes, daily lectures on Bhagavatam, a Sunday feast, cultural programmes, and celebration of traditional festivals like Janmashtami, Rama Navami, Diwali and Dusshera.

Swansea bay took on a different look on Sunday as the saree clad and robed devotees swept through the beaches, much to the delight of passers-by.

We hope that this centre can contribute to the cultural diversity and spiritual fulfilment of the residents of Swansea, said Tarakanatha Dasa, President of the Swansea Temple.

Manoj Dubey, a visitor from London said, The huge feast that Nimai Prabhu had cooked brought a smile of satisfaction on the lips of every single person who came to the festival. For more information drop into the Centre at Craddock Street or call Tarakanatha Dasa on 01792 468 469 or Romapada Dasa on 07867 837 241

• 1 year later...
Guest guest

hello tarrakanatha,

my name is charmain speirs im a BA student at swansea institute, currently studying photo-journalism. I have a beautiful interest in hare krishna and would like to pop down and visit the new centre in swansea bay!

ive never visited such a place so im quite entriged by ,festivals of eligant dance chanting and meditation!and simply your way of life. things are not really going to well for me right now so maybe i need a new way of seing life. yours hopefully charmain.

Guest guest

dear guest i fell you are hinting to us that one is getting angry with the way of life or the friends you are keeping , perhaps its time for a change just to clear your thoughts, try studying some krishna books at our local book shops listen to some music, relax ,meditaite. what ever is wrong in your life only you can change it! please take care and dont be afraid .