IndiaDivine.org

Born a Hindu

Rate this topic

HAREKRSNA

Hello, i was very recently preached by a very spiritual priest in vrindavan, on my last visit to India that every human born, is born a Hindu.

He backed this theory up by saying that if you take every other religion you will find that they all perform some kind of ceromony when the child is born to welcome them into the religion. for example:

Christians: Baptise

Islamic: Chop off the hair and give the weight in money to charity.

Jewish: Perform ceremony and then wear hats.

Sikh: Where turbans.

So the only religion that is left that leaves the child as it is at birth is Hinduism. So in this case every child who is born is a Hindue, but is merely converted to the families beliefs.

I would like your views on this. I am only 16, but i am a strong believer.

Hare Krishna!!

Guest guest

Hello,

Hinduism is not a religion, which has some bounders. The Hinduism says that God is everywhere and in any thing. It is that you can fiend God as stone, tree, animal, You and I also. According to Hinduism Jesus Christ, Allah are also gods. Since they are Hindu Gods their followers also Hindu. Therefore every one is Hindu.

Guest guest

As Lord Krsna says in Bhagwat Gita "one is known by his karma(deed) not by his caste". Similarly one's caste and religion is known by his work and not by religion.

So I believe it is immaterial in which religion you are born or converted into. Because religion and its rules are man-made. It is our karma which determine our future.

Guest guest

In Vedas there is no word such as "hindu". First it was refered to people in the waley of river Ind, who were followers of Vedas and lived in a society based on varnas and ashramas, as vedic teachings recomend. So, the foreign nations started calling them "hindus".

Even Bhagavad-gita does not mention "hindu religion". Sanatana-dharma, the eternal activities of soul in loving relationship with God, yes. Brahmanism as sience of brahman or spirit, yes.

When the child is born, his conciousness is on the level of an animal, basicly intrested in eating and sleaping. How can he understand God or soul?

What general public pratice in India under "hinduism" is "mumbo-jumbo" deity worship of demigods, what is described by Lord Krishna in Gita as occupation for less intelligent class of humans.

Whoever is searching for trough knowlege, enlightenment and liberation, MUST turn to shastra(vedic scriptures, I do recomend you Bhagavad-Gita as it is, published by Bhaktivedanta Book Trust), guru ( spiritual master, comming from one of four original sampradayas, I do recomend you His Grace A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Srila Prabhupada), and sadhus ( devotees of Lord Krishna or Visnu).

your servant

Guest guest

Why don't we change the persperctive? Everyone is a BINDU. This makes us all equall and allows us to fly over limits of any religion or phylosophy or whatever.

I am afraid that The Hindu wouldn't agree with the idea - "every child is born a hindu." My understanding and knowledge are very limited but as far as I know a Hindu is likely to say: you can believe in whatever you want to but stay away from my kitchen and bed." To be perceived as a Hindu by a Hindu you need to be born in Bharat and in proper family, don't you.

But BINDU - wonderful being - pure metaphysical energy...

The priest who "backed his theory up by saying that if you take every other religion you will find that they all perform some kind of ceremony when the child is born to welcome them into the religion" uses materialistic aspects to explain non-materialistic matters. This attitudes limits us. And to become free we need to go beyond limited perception.

Now let us think - what happens when we assume and realise and experience that we are BINDUs in original form?

Guest guest

You've written that hinduism doesn't set bounders. If it is true, could you please explain the background of warnasramadharma, commensalism, idea of ritual and cultural exclusiveness (for instance there have been clearly set barriers unabling sudra warna to even listen to sacred texts), endogamy, knowledge exclusiveness, problem of casts, relations between sexes based on unequality concept, long-term culture-based religious conflicts between hindus and muslims? I have trying to churn on your assumption of hinduism openess but as the result I've found some examples indicating someting oposite. I am far from thinking that hinduism is intolerant, but it seems to me that it has defined conditions to be fulfilled by Hindu and hinduism followers. If you don't fulfill these conditions you cannot be accepted as Hindu. Hindus would probably say: OK, if you want to play being harekrishna, do it but you are not real Hindu. Have you read Manusmryti? This book is most important - explains the rules of life, normative aspects of living. Or shall we discuss on Bhagavadgita? I wpn't even mention Vedy. Probably the most orthodox Hindu (very tradition-oriented one) would opposite, because I am a foreigner and as a foreigner I must not read these sacred texts, I must not learn Sanscrit and I must not even think about such a discussion.

You wrote that according to hinduism "God can be in stones, trees, animals, You and I also; Jesus Christ, Allah are also gods."

First of all I would advise us to churn deeply on the process of degeneration of original idea of God and try to understand the concepts of God's Oneness, Uniqueness, so-called Omnipresence versus Omnipervadance, Omnipotence. If/when our intelects are able to see the whole process (we can take advantage of sacred texts, also those accessible in various cultures e.g. Bible) than we will be able to answer the question - why human being think that God is in everyting and everywhere and whether it is realy true? Than we can try to think about the idea of trinity in universe. Maybe in this way we will find also the truth about Hinduism, its present historical and cultural stage, its openess and bounders.

Guest guest

HareKrishna!I offer my humble obeisances to Srila Praabhupada!All Glories to Srila Prabhupada!

No One is a Hindu or a Christan or a Muslim and so forth. That is a materialistic way of viewing things. Every thing animate and inanimate is but a part of Krishna(the Supreme God. So we,living beings, are a part and parcel of Krishna. Hindu, Christian, Muslim, Indian, American etc all are bodily designations. A wise man will not heed to the bodily designations. Our duty, the only duty, is to serve Krishna and please Him. Once we realize our constitutional position in relation to Krishna, we will come to the true platform of devotees and then there will be nothing but us and Him(the Supreme Being)So if we satisfy Him, everything else on this planet will get satisfied like if we pour water to the roots of the plant, the whole plant gets nourished. Hence we should slowly train ourselves with the thought that we are eternal spiritual entities bound to serve the Supreme Being and all other information is just unecessary and superflous.

HareKrishna!!