IndiaDivine.org

Do Hindus believe in a hell?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Hello. I have recently been studying Hinduism. (I grew up with many of the beliefs.) I am interested in knowing if Hindus believe in a hell.

Regards,

Adrina

Guest guest

yes there are different planetary systems in hell also...one with torture, one with amazing material opulence...its all very interesting...

• 3 weeks later...
Guest guest

hell is ignorance, believing yourself to be separated from KRSNA, believing yourself to be the body only, this is true hell, and if you are full of hate and anger and sexual desire etc. then you will go to a spiritual realm that reflects these impurities and remain there until you are able to transcend them, this is the value of the human form, but hell is only your own egocentric projection

• 3 months later...

I was under the impression that you would go to hell only if you were really bad during life. If you were mediocre, you would be reborn, depending on the size and number of your sins. However, if you were really good, then you would go to hell until you paid off your minor sins, then your soul would be free, i.e. with God.

Being born and dying are very painful for your soul. The goal is for your soul to be one with God, which happens when it is released from the cycle of reincarnation.

The previous reply is mine. For reincarnation I meant to say: Depending on what bad stuff you did--you will have to go through a larger portion of the 100,000 lives possible for reincarnation. If you were not as bad, you will go through less of the 100,000 lives. The last life is always a cow.

This info is from

here

Heaven according to Hindus

The heaven of the Hindus is a place where the departed souls go to reap the fruits of their virutous deeds. They remain there for some time till the fruits of their virtuous actions are exhausted. They then come back to this world.

Let me know what you believe/think.

[moderator's note: link edited to keep page from going off screen]

• 7 months later...
Guest guest

Let's look at the status where one is in first. Then firgure out what's next, is it hell or heaven.

Heaven is Bliss with complete awareness & zero ignorance.

Hell is pain with complete awareness & zero ignorance.

Currently many of us may be in hell with full ignorance. In hinduism we believe hell is cause of ignorance. Focus is on overcoming ignorance, then figure out what's hell or heaven.

Here we are talking of a situation, "what's there in it for me if I overcome ignorance. Is it hell or heaven". This question itself is ignorance. Realize that God has made each of us pure conciousness, and we bring upon ourselves the ignorance, which is a misfortune due to a type of conditioning/bondage.