IndiaDivine.org

initiation support

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

I'm hoping to recieve first initiation soon. I do want initiiation and the head our temple has kindly accepted my request. I feel a strong attraction to Krishna and the Vaisnav conception.

However, I can't bear the idea of loosing my name and being known, especially by those i want to be closet too, by anything other then the name my parents gave to me. By this am I failing to surrender to the spiritual master, the other point is, am I disrespecting my parents whom i love very much and would not want to do anything to hurt them.

They have given me full support in my serch for Krishna but i know that they would be hurt by this. I have tentatively discussed it with them but their responses has been quite negative.

I want to be very happy in my spiritual life and want my parents to be part of this in some way, so i do not want to keep this from them. And to be completely honest i do not want to go by another name either.

Does anyone have any advice. This is a real block for m

Guest guest

Hare Krishna! All glories to Srila PRabhupada! I offer my Humble obeisances unto Him!

Initiaion is like second birth and very important in one's sprirtual life. I am not initiated so cannot talk much about it. Changing one's name is all part of the process. I dont think you can stop that. But if your parents want to call you by the name given, I dont see any reason why they should now. In other words, you will have two names. I think, the reason they change the name is because at the time of death, we think more of ourselves, and hence when we have GOD's name, we can think of Him and reach Him. Iam guessing this is the reason. or . if nothing works out, i suggest be a little patient and get initiated at the right time. Iam sure Krishna, the Supersoul within will guide and help you in the right direction. But you have to believe that He will help you and yearn for His mercy. surely He will show the way. Haribol!

anand

Guest guest

However, I can't bear the idea of loosing my name and being known, especially by those i want to be closet too, by anything other then the name my parents gave to me.

•••there's no problem.. devotees use their devotees names among other bhaktas and not in their life outside the temple. So let your parents and relatives use the old name.. there's no problem. The important thing is that they love you and think of you. If you became a devotee they will love a devotee and follow a devotee. Doing it they will go back to godhead together with you

Guest guest

i never told my parents i was initiated, don't be disturbed by a change of name !

it's the 1st time i hear that, because all the devotees are usually exited to get a nuew name, like i was !!

good lcuk, and don't worry, we all have little problems like that ! for example, i was afraid of shaving my head... Now i'm about to take Diksa and i'm gonna shave it very very short !! your western name will still be here, you can check your passport after initiation to see if it's still here !! more seriously, please take it easy !

• 5 weeks later...
Guest guest

To keep your parents from becoming offensive to Krsna nama and Sri Guru it might be necessary to keep your new name from them. But short of that, it can be good to have them deal a bit with this issue. It may be good for them to have to deal with this.

When it comes to spiritual life sometimes its about "die to live". Give yourself entirely as a sacrifice. Your name is the least of it. Show your dedication with your courage to give in and surrender. It is this surrender that marks the beginning of spiritual life proper. Dive into the dark and have faith that there is ground. You will see there is, and it is great.