Who Suffers in Hell?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

My respects to Srila Prabhupada

HARE KRISHNA HARE KRISHNA KRISHNA KRISHAN HARE HARE

HARE RAM HARE RAM RAM RAM HARE HARE

Reproduction of Srimadbhagvatam Canto 5 Chapter 26 Text 8

My dear King, a person who appropriates another's legitimate wife, children or money is arrested at the time of death by the fierce Yamadutas, who bind him with the rope of time and forcibly throw him into the hellish planet known as Tamisra. (GUESS THIS IS THE SUBTLE BODY MENTIONED IN THE EASY JOURNEY TO OTHER PLANETS)

On this very dark planet, the sinful man is chastised by the Yamadutas, who beat and rebuke him. He is starved, and he is given no water to drink. Thus the wrathful assistants of Yamaraja cause him severe suffering, and sometimes he faints from their chastisement.

MY QUESTION IS WHO IS BEING PUNISHED? Of course cannot be the material body –

You are not your body

The life we're living now is not our only one. We've been through many. The spark of awareness within us-- the self, or soul, or whatever you want to call it-- has no beginning and no end. No knife can cut it, no fire can burn it, no wind can blow it away.

But that spark of life keeps moving on from one body to the next. At one time you have the body of a child. Then you move on to a young person's body. Then to a middle-aged body, and then to the body of an old person. Yet in all those bodies you feel yourself to be the same you. Because you are the same you. Only your body has changed.

Your body changes, and you're always the same. So you and your body are different. You are not your body.

The final change of body is what we call "death." But it's not really final. It's only another transition, another move. Just as you change from childhood to youth to old age, at death you move on to go through the cycle again, with birth in another body.

NO KNIFE CAN CUT IT, NO FIRE CAN BURN IT, NO WIND CAN BLOW IT…..

Therefore, who is the sufferer

Seek answer to my basic question that who undergoes the punishments to be able to understand this chapter No. 26.

I AM THE MOST IGNORENT OF ALL - PLEASE PARDON ME FOR UNINTENTINAL OFFENCES IF ANY.

Guest guest

Hare Krishna!

All glories to Srila PRabhupada!I offer my humble obeisances unto Him!

Good question! Iam also not sure!! I guess we will attain a certain type of body after death based on our attitude and suffer accordingly in hell. Surely this must be subtler than the current body...this is my theory...or may be the soul undergoes pain due to the mistakes we commit here. This is all I can get from my head.

Haribol!

anand

Guest guest

Hare Krishna.

Quoting Srila Prabhupada from 'Laws of Nature', Chapter 2 :

TEXT 20: ?As a criminal is arrested for punishment by the constables of the state, a person engaged in criminal sense gratification is similarly arrested by the Yamadütas, who bind him by the neck with strong rope and cover his subtle body so that he may undergo severe punishment.?

PURPORT: Every living entity is covered by a subtle body and a gross body. The subtle body is the covering of mind, ego, intelligence, and consciousness. It is said in the scriptures that the constables of Yamaräja cover the subtle body of the culprit and take him to the abode of Yamaräja to be punished in a way that he is able to tolerate. He does not die from this punishment because if he died, then who would suffer the punishment? It is not the business of the constables of Yamaräja to put one to death. In fact, it is not possible to kill a living entity because factually he is eternal; he simply has to suffer the consequences of his activities of sense gratification.

Guest guest

Thank You friends for the responses.

Yes this is convincing .. it means the sufferer is THE MIND IN EVERY situation. Yep, even in the present material body who feels good or bad - logically not the body but the MIND of course.

Thanks once again, friends. Feel blessed to be here i guess.