IndiaDivine.org

if vedas, etc were really from god then how come....

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hare Krsna

How come there are statements like sound is the quality of ether or space, and not of AIR. or how come krishna says spiders produce webs from their mouths? All these point to a man made religion no? Any explanation for them would be welcome. There are other things such as among the stars I am the moon, but I don't put to much emphasis on that one because the ancient indians were great astronomers and to think they didnt know the difference between the stars and the moon is simply absurd. But I can't find any explanation for the others.

How come there are statements like sound is the quality of ether or space, and not of AIR. or

Shabda is more fundamental than gross sound waves. It is more related to Divine vision and pure consciousness of a person.

That is why Vedas are called Sruti, where words are heard through consciousness of a person(Rishi) who is pure.

how come krishna says spiders produce webs from their mouths?

I am sorry. I need to know where Lord Krishna says this, if HE says this.

All these point to a man made religion no?

No. Your assumptions are wrong.

Just as from within himself the spider expands thread through his mouth, plays with it for some time and eventually swallows it, similarly, the Supreme Personality of Godhead expands His personal potency from within Himself. Thus, the Lord displays the network of cosmic manifestation, utilizes it according to His purpose and eventually withdraws it completely within Himself.

-Uddhava Geeta Chap 9 vs 21

Your statements refer to sound being the quality of consciousness not space or ether, which are different altogether. In addition the context sound being the quality of ether is made with reference to the five gross elements and their corresponding sense objects.

On another note I think Sruti does not necessarily mean that the rishis heard it through their consciousness but through their teacher who delivered the message as is from an unbroken line from god.

Narayana->Padmabhuva->Vashishta->Shakti->Parasara->Vyasa..etc but that is a topic for another thread

Just as from within himself the spider expands thread through his mouth, plays with it for some time and eventually swallows it, similarly, the Supreme Personality of Godhead expands His personal potency from within Himself. Thus, the Lord displays the network of cosmic manifestation, utilizes it according to His purpose and eventually withdraws it completely within Himself.

-Uddhava Geeta Chap 9 vs 21

The sanskrit word is "vaktratah". An opening through which spider makes web may have been called as mouth. The word is simply to give instruction to somebody, it is not an discourse on anatomy of spider.

Your statements refer to sound being the quality of consciousness not space or ether, which are different altogether. In addition the context sound being the quality of ether is made with reference to the five gross elements and their corresponding sense objects.

On another note I think Sruti does not necessarily mean that the rishis heard it through their consciousness but through their teacher who delivered the message as is from an unbroken line from god.

Narayana->Padmabhuva->Vashishta->Shakti->Parasara->Vyasa..etc but that is a topic for another thread

There are different levels of sound. Which one you are referring to ?

Please give the context before asking question. Anyway here is a good article on Shabda with reference to Vedas(called as Shabda)

http://www.veda.harekrsna.cz/encyclopedia/vedicsound.htm

Thanks for the link as well as the explanation of "vaktratah", I don't know any sanskrit so all I have to go by are the english translations. Thanks also for the article on Shabda. Defining sound as such makes it an entirely different matter altogether.

I know that the anatomy of the spider was not being discussed but the fact remains that analogies are made to relate an unknown topic to a known one.. in which case the spider issuing web from its mouth would have to be thought of as true at that time. Of course that is all a non-issue now since it was not said.

Thanks again