IndiaDivine.org

Hindu Name Change?(ISKCON Members)

Rate this topic

Guest guest

from: http://www.himalayanacademy.com/resources/books/hbh/hbh_ch-8.html

"Western Hindus have been criticized in India for bearing Hindu names when it suits them in day-to-day circumstances, but maintaining a Christian or Jewish name on their passport, among relatives and for legal matters. Mature Hindus consider such deception noncommittal, immature and unacceptable. Legal name-change on all personal documents is one of the clearest indications of full and honest conversion. In the spring of 1988, after 20 years of dual identity, members of the ISKCON (International Society for Krishna Consciousness) community began a call for "non-Indian" devotees to adopt Vaishnava names. Ashok Sarkar voiced the concern well in a letter to the editor published in ISKCON World Review (May 1988): "I would like to bring forth an important issue regarding the name registration of Vaishnava devotees, an issue which has been overlooked by the ISKCON administration.

"The non-Indian Vaishnavas or Neo-Vaishnavas around the world have not officially changed their 'karmic' names yet. Can you imagine that after 22 years of ISKCON's successful movement, suddenly you find out that officially there are no Vaishnavas! Therefore, I strongly suggest all Vaishnavas of ISKCON change their names officially as soon as possible. It is time for the Vaishnavas to stand up and be counted in the political world and thus have a voice in the administration of every land we live in. Let the phone books show long listings of Vaishnava names under Das and Dasi." Unfortunately, this stage of commitment never happened. <font color="red">In fact, ISKCON later officially and ardently declared that they, as an organization and as individuals, are not Hindu and do not align themselves with Hinduism. </font color>

Sadly, today many Hindus relinquish their beautiful Hindu names when then come to the West or alter them to fit into Western society. Thus, Sanmugasundaram may become Sam or Daram. Taking a further step away from the Hindu dharma, parents may even begin giving Christian names to their Hindu children. Alarmed at this trend, the late Swami Tilak of the Vishva Hindu Parishad noted, "Westernization is rapidly penetrating the well-to-do urban Hindu families everywhere. Although they assert that Westernization does not mean in any way the acceptance of the non-Hindu values, they are drifting away more and more from their traditional way of life. first, they change their names: Gyani becomes Johney and Mira becomes Mary, on the pretext that non-Hindus find it difficult to follow Hindu names. This contagious disease is not limited to Trinidad or Guyana alone; Hindus all over out of Bharat [india] have begun to follow this obnoxious trend. To some it may look to be simply a business trick, but it is fraught with dire consequences. Lack of self-confidence works in its base way, which may lead one to demoralization. All caution must be taken against this awful tendency" (Hindu Vishva, July/August, 1985)."

In this article it says that ISKCON doesn't consider itself Hindu. Which to me is ridiculous. You use Hindu scripture, Bhagavad Gita, but don't call yourself Hindus. I want to know why Lord Krishna devotees hate their mother culture of Bharat. I'd also like to know why ISKCON devotees haven't taken Vaishnava names. To show they are fully converted and accept were their new loyalties lie. Why doesn't the Krishna consciousness movement expect it's members to take Vaishnava names. If their suppose to be PURE HINDUS, why be afraid to make it official. I'm a Saivite and to me Hindus are Hindus, Vaishnavas or Saivite. We should stop arguing amoungst ourselves. Please answer my questions about name changing.

Hare Krishna.

Is a person who has a Hindu name but does not know the bascis of Hinduism better than a person with a Christian name but knows and follows the Vedic scriptures?

Most Indians with a Hindu name don't even follow the basic teachings of the Bhagavad-gita like being vegetarian, diety worship, study of scriptures, preachings etc..

The western followers of ISKCON have christian names but they follow the Vedic scriptures with and love and devotion.

Only in ISKCON the Brahmans are actually doing their duty of deity worship and preaching. In Hindu temples, the Brahmans have no interest in preaching.

Until 5000 years ago, the Vedic religion was the only one in the world, but today it has become a minority religion. This is due to the so-called Hindu Brahmans who neglected their duties of preaching and are only interested in filling their bellies.

It's due to the preaching by western devotees that people around the world know what the Vedic religion is.

According to the Bhagavad-gita, it's by qualification that a person can be called a Brahman. But in India, a Brahman is anyone who is born in a Brahman family. Even though they may be thieves and raskals.

If you ask 10 Hindus who is God, you will get 10 different answers. But if you ask 10 ISKCON devotees who is God, you will only get one answer.

Thus what matters is the qualifications and behavour of the person and not the name.

Hare Krishna Name realy matters a lot, since each sound emits certain vibration,we should go for some meaningful names. Remember, Ajamila called his son NARAYANA, but sreehari himself heard his calling