IndiaDivine.org

Authenticity of Scriptures

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Im not sure if this has been covered anywhere so far so please direct me if it has.

But you see most of the discussion on this site goes on using scriptural references - i.e the greatness of God etc - but suppose someone asked to to verify their authenticity? unless that can be proved then is not everything which we quote from them subjective? I mean every scripture right from the Vedas - wel lets stick to the main ones. Thing is everythin happened so long ago - how do you stop everythin from becoming subjective (opinion).

- am asking this to get peoples ideas not because i doubt it myself.. i once herd a muslim ask this to a hindu and wondered how people would answer it if they were asked.

For people discussing vedic philosophy it is not an issue, the very fact that they are able to provide various quotes and references means that they have already accepted that scripture as authentic. I think that when we are discussing... let's say Rama Lila amongst ourselves then thats subjective. Whereas if we are talking about the soul, or reincarnation, than that does not weigh on any scripture because it can verified scientifically.

"..that they have already accepted that scripture as authentic."

Thats what i was getting at.. how do people accept? isit by blind faith or some kind of verification?

Also, a Muslim asking a Hindu about the authenticity of vedic scripture is just darn right pointless lol. What does he expect? Proof that our scripture is better than his?

The point is that the Bhagavad-Gita has something very important to offer and if someone is willing to hear from it than jay. Otherwise theres no point in unnecessarily substantiating something that cannot be proved. It is a leap of faith that is required.

Scriptures are word of God and have a non-human origin. We can say this because this information comes in an unbroken chain of disciplic succession.

Following scriptural injunctions and engaging in Bhakti one can realize the authenticity of scriptures.

Scriptures also predict the future very precisely. Like the appearance and pastimes of Chaitanya Mahaprabhu who is Krishna himselft and then he verified with his golden stamp of approval the vedic scriptures specially the Gita, the Srimad Bhagwatam, Brahma Samhita and scores of other vedic scriptures.