IndiaDivine.org

speed of chanting

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hare Krishna and All glories to Srila Prabhupada!

Please accept my humble obeisances.

Are there any guidelines as to how fast one should chant? Talking with one temple president, he said one should chant one round in 6 minutes - anything faster means that i am definately mis-pronouncing some of the syllables (incidentally, i have tested this on myself with recordings and so far it holds true!). However, today i read one of the non-ISKCON Gaudiya sites recommending that with some practice, one can chant 64 rounds in 4-5 hours!!! is this "too fast"?

thanks!

Haribol!

maybe i ment if the mind is wandering, we wont hear the names very well. Probably there is a wide range, as far as the "speed" of the chanting, that a person can do for best results in being able to hear attentively what he is chanting. Too fast and we may not be hearing very well, just trying to get our set number of rounds done. Too slow and maybe that becomes to easy for the mind to wander off.

For those just starting out chanting the Holy Name slow is better. But once you advance in chanting the Holy Name and you can feel genuine bliss from the Holy Name then faster is better. The Holy Names are filled with inconceivable blisss. It it just our hard hearts that are blocking it. Faster you chant the more bliss you feel. The gopis were cursing Brahma for their eyelids which blocked their vision of Krsna.