IndiaDivine.org

why are there no murtins of Ganesha in ISKCON?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Ganesha is a demigod.

BG: 7.23 : Men of small intelligence worship the demigods, and their fruits are limited and temporary. Those who worship the demigods go to the planets of the demigods, but My devotees ultimately reach My supreme planet.

There is a Ganesh murti above the door way in Chowpatty, Mumbai ISKCON temple as you walk into the temple room. He kindly helps to remove obstacles and he even helps to remove obstacles from spirtual path so he is very kind and dear to Lord Krsna I am sure.

Hari bol

Hare Krishna Dear All!

All Glories To Srila Prabhupada!

Personally, I feel that there is nothing wrong with Demigod worship as long as one recognises that Krishna is above all Demigods, everything emanates from him. A person should worship the Demigods with the knowledge that they are not greater or even equal to him and request to be enlightened further on Krishna Consciousness and not material wealth. Demigods, I believe, can pave our way to the perfected path of Krishna Consciousness, for they are also Devotees of the Supreme. My Mother worships Hanuman more than any other, When she returns from India I shall attempt to ask her to do the same!

Mark, I hope you really enjoy your trip. I can't think of anywhere more I'd like to Visit that Vrindivan, let alone India. I still have'nt been in my 23 years of life (And I'm a Hindu lol)

Haribol!!

Dillon

Hare Krishna!

The tradition in ISKCON as such, based on my understanding, is instead of Ganesh, they serve Lord Narasinghdev.

This is my understanding. Although Lord Ganesh is the remover of all obstacles, ISKCON serves Lord Narasing dev in His place. This is my understanding- playing the same role as to reomve obstacles.

Lord Ganesh is a remover of obstacels so we can improve on spiritual life but now days people only pray Lord Ganesh to reomove obstacles for their material benefits. This is unfortunate, so ISKCON serves Lord Narasighdev to remove obstacles.

I think this is the reason...

Haribol!

anand

Dear Prabhus,

it is quite correct that Ganesha is a demigod; indeed, it is mentioned in the Brahma Samhita (i think /images/graemlins/smile.gif that any benediction that is awarded by Ganesha is based solely on the sanction of Krishna. However, is it not true that Ganesha is to be worshipped together with worship of any other deity or God? additionally, Prabhupada specifically lists "worship of other Vaikuntha deities such as Ganesha" as a requirement for Arcana. And that is why i posed the question.

Haribol!

Bhagavatam : Canto 1 : 1.2.26 PURPORT

hese demigods are worshipped mostly by those who are in the lowest categories of the mode of darkness or ignorance and there are others who are in the modes of passion to worship demigods like Brahma, Shiva, Surya, Ganesh and many such deities urged by the desire of material enjoyment. But those who are actually situated in the mode of goodness Satwa Guna of the material nature, do worship only Vishnu Tatwas. Vishnu Tatwas are represented by various names and forms such as Narayana, Damodara, Vaman, Govinda, Adhoksaja, etc. The qualified Brahmins do worship the Vishnu Tatwas represented by the Shalagram Shila and so also some of the higher castes like the Kshatriays and Vaishyas also do worship the Vishnu Tatwas generally.

Note that those in the mode of goodness worship ONLY the Visnu Tatwas.

IN REPLY TO: "additionally, Prabhupada specifically lists "worship of other Vaikuntha deities such as Ganesha" as a requirement for Arcana."

I respectfully request you please give us the source of your understanding of this? Where did Srila Prabhupada write or speak this?

I have never seen or heard this written or said by him, and would be interested to know.

Thank you very much.

Srimad Bhagavatam 7.5.24 purport under "Arcana"

"In other places, the following offenses are listed....(o) to offer worship to the Deity without worshipping Vaikuntha deities like Ganesha"

i believe that a similar statement is found in the Nectar of Devotion.

thanks!

Haribol!

Letter to: Sivananda, London, 71-08-25

So far worshipping Ganesa is concerned, that is not necessary. Not that it should be done on a regular basis. If you like you can pray to Ganapati for removing all impediments on the path of Krishna Consciousness. That you can do if you like.

Letter to: Rameswar Dayalaji Birla, Bombay, 71-04-01

No, there is no need for worshipping Ganapati, and the facility for such worship is not available in your country. Worshipping Krishna is sufficient.

Letter to: Upendra, Bombay, 71-01-04

The mantra to Ganapati is not bona fide. That is another nonsense. Your worship of Guru-Gauranga and Nrsimhadeva is very nice.

Morning Walk, October 2, 1975, Mauritius

Prabhupada: If you are actually Krsna conscious, then to worship Ganapati, there is no harm. But if you take Ganapati as independent God, then your Krsna consciousness is hampered.

_

A. C. Bhaktivedanta Swami

Hare Krishna!

All glories to Srila Prabhupada! I offer my humble obeisance unto him!

In order to establish the truth....which is KRISHNA IS THE SUPREME PERSONALITY OF GODHEAD...Srila Prabhupada may have downplayed other demi-gods a bit.

Also, from a scriptural and spiritual standpoint, it is not necessary to serve Ganapati when there are other merciful incarnations of Krishna such as Lord Jagannath and Lord Chaitanya.

I have heard devotees say....that.....ISKCON serves Lord Narasiga dev as the remover of all obstacles....which is the duty of Ganapati!

Haribol!

anand