IndiaDivine.org

beliefs and practices

Rate this topic

Hello, I am a student at Malvern Prep in PA. I come from an Augustinian Catholic school, and am currently studying Hinduism in a Comparative Religions course based on the lectures of Huston Smith. I am writing a paper in order to deepen my understanding of the faith as much as possible, and I would like some help. I have three basic questions: What do Hindus as a community believe in regard to creed?

What type of moral path or code do Hindus work to follow?

What are members of this faith like in their devotion and practice? Are there many differences?

Thank you for your time.

Various modifications to these questions come up every few months in these forums. I'd suggest reading the topic called "Who is a Hindu?" in these forums for some sort of answer.

As for the "creed" of the Hindus, I think once you read "Who is a Hindu?" you'll find why this is very difficult to put into words. There are some general principles and beliefs that I think would apply but certainly nothing that encompases all of the beliefs of Hindus. Reincarnation and karma for instance would probably fit into a more formalized definition of Hindu beliefs.

The moral path Hindu's follow again depends on how you define a Hindu. But I think that the belief in karma, would in general suggest a view that we ultimately reap what we sow. And thus one should behave morally.

Regarding devotion, yes there are various manifestations of this depending on again "Who is a Hindu?". For some, devotion takes the form of awe and reverence, for others devotion is much less formal.

I know I haven't fully answered your questions, but hopefully others will chime in and help you out.

Gauracandra

I can only echo what Gauracandra has already said about Hindus. The problem lies with the fact that Hinduism is not a religion. It is a collective term that describes a big set of beliefs which vary diversely. Hence, it is almost impossible to give clearcut answers to any of your questions, except for the last one. The differences are many and cannot possibly be listed anywhere.

Here are some pointers. The Hindu beliefs can be broadly classified under 3 categories.

1. Vaishnavas - Worshippers of Vishnu.

2. Shaivas - Worshippers of Shiva

2. Shaktas - Worshippers of the mother Goddess.

They in turn have several sub-categories under them. You can search for the above terms in britannica.com. That should hopefully provide you with enough material. You can also try these terms on a search engine such as google to see if you can find something useful.

Cheers

Guest guest

What do Hindus as a community believe in regard to creed?

The word "Hindu" does not exist in Sanksrit, the ancient language that most of Vedic lore is compiled. There is a river called Shindu, now Indu, and the inhabitants of the Eastern side of that river were called Hindus by the Farsis, (Persians) whose the of S was like H.

Actually the proper name for Hindus is arians, or those who follows a progressive path, and their religion is called sanatana-dharma. (sanatana = eternal, dharma = religion). This is the path instructed by Vedas, the lore followed by arians. As Vedas are so big and complex, the essence of Vedas may be found in Bhagavad-gita, that is the most popular scripture followed by most of Hindus.

In this sanatana-dharma, yoga or spiritual discipline to link one with the Absolute Truth (Supreme) is considered as a progressive path, and it should take several lifetimes to be fulfilled. Therefore the people who are following this progressive path of yoga are called arians.

The link with the Supreme is the final goal. But there are countless stages and gradations of faith, understanding and realizations, therefore, in that system of gradual evolution one may be placed as a worshiper of ghosts and spirits, or as a worshiper of demigods (devas), or as a worshiper of the Supreme in His multiple aspects.

While following this path one is bounded by his karma (activities made with selfish desires that creates one's destiny) and guna (modes of material nature, namely tamas, rajas and sattva). As this path is gradual and very slow in terms of material time, a living entity (jiva) will take countless lifetimes to fulfil it, in several kinds of bodies in lower, medium and upper species of life in this universe and in many others, including some human lives.

In the sanatana-dharma, a human body is not considered the top of a evolutionary chain, but it is consider a very good vehicle to surpass the cycle of countless births and deaths.

What type of moral path or code do Hindus work to follow?

As there are so many stages in this sanatana-dharma, one should consider that there are different levels of moral, ethics and social rules. In a general manner one may consider that Manu-smrti is main code to give instructions on this subject matter. Manu-smrti is consider by Western scholars as the oldest disciplinary code of the humankind. (Manu is the generator or patriarch of the humankind, and even in English and other Indo-European languages the word 'human' means literally 'descendents of Manu')

In this code there are the basis of human behavior in any society, the pious and sinful activities, their prize and punishment here and hereafter, description of the suffer in hell and the enjoyment in heavenly planets, rules of transmigration of the soul, and so on.

In a general manner there is no difference in its teachings than the teachings of other scriptures such as Bible, Koran, etc. All these scriptures prescribe that one should be pious and should avoid sin.

What are members of this faith like in their devotion and practice? Are there many differences?

As the graduations of faith are countless, devotion and practice are also countless. You may consider that Visnu, Narayana or Krsna are the personal aspects of the Supreme Absolute Truth, the final aim of all arians. Therefore, devotion to Sri Krsna and His many avataras (incarnations) are wildly spread all over India and is very respected by all Hindus.

Besides, one may find worshipers of Durga, Siva, Ganesa, Surya, and countless other devas and devis, as well as many rites, rituals, scriptures, philosophic schools and stages in this sanatana-dharma.

Hope we could help you a little in this complex subject matter. And sorry about my poor and lame English, as that is not my maternal language.

dasa dasanudasa

Satyaraja dasa

Hinduism establishes resettlement of soul, that the "eternal soul " proves to be true as and in Bibly , means there is no birth and death, eternal means there is no beginning and there is no end. And the instructions same - Love the God, do not kill, do not steal, it means in maximum sense that all belongs to the God and we should be grateful to it(him), If we feel rise in spiritual life, it is heavy so to follow us not to the instructions. Vedas describe as the material world is arranged, lowest planets, Paradise, as it(he) is created and is destroyed, who operates elementss, there is a description even of atom of time. As many descriptions of the most interesting and significant histories of this world are resulted. The spiritual world is described also. There is a set of planets in the material world about which it is not known and outside this world there is a spiritual world, which is boundless and in which all is constructed on the raised attitudes(relations). There are philosophical sections vedas, is only practical. Sciences on medicine, architecture, politics.... It is possible to tell that vedas describe practically all for all categories of the people, therefore sometimes it forces down with sense. But the bases of spiritual life are described in Bhagavad Gita, which is similar Bibly at the christians and consists of 700 verses, Told 5000 years back. And in the whole spiritual life the , is possible conditionally to break on a category -gyana yoga way of knowledge , dhyana yoga a way of meditation, karma yoga - way of positive activity and bhakty yoga is a way of fidelity the God. It as a whole, if you are interested that by(with) that concrete, can be I or who that of devoted will try to answer to you. A thank, kailasa.