Jump to content
IndiaDivine.org

Hot water showers?

Rate this topic


Recommended Posts

Posted

I think one effect is it clears out the nasal passages. I always find (not to get too gross here) that I can blow my nose very easily right after a shower. It completely unplugs my breathing first thing in the morning. Its just hot, moist air that does the trick. Though I find at night if I take a hot shower it can prevent me from sleeping well. I think the body heats up, and then has to expend a lot of energy cooling itself down, and this makes it difficult to sleep right off.

 

Gauracandra

Posted

I can understand what you mean. Actually I find the best is when you can take a hot shower, and have a window open at the same time. The fresh air really helps you breath better. I think you are right that the moist hot air does seem heavier on the lungs.

 

Gauracandra

Posted

When you take a shower, the increase of the hot steam is so gradual, that you don't notice how thick and heavy the air is becoming. But if someone had taken a hot shower, and then immediately afterwards you enter the shower, you will have a real hard time breathing.

Posted

Best to alternate between hot and cold to stimulate the circulation! Loofah sponge is also highly recommended. Finishing with the water as cold as possible helps clear phlegm (spelling?), too. BTW I prefer lukewarm from start to finish--keeps my chanting more steady! valaya

Posted

 

It does wonders for your pores though. All the hot steam open up the pores really nicely and you can unclog them and remove all the dead skin cells and blackheads. The trick is to finish with a cold shower to close up the pores again.

 

BTW, I thought that brahmacaris take only cold showers. Posted Image

  • 1 month later...
Posted

Originally posted by atma:

 

BTW, I thought that brahmacaris take only cold showers. Posted Image

When I was a "brahmacari", living in ISKCON temples (1970-73), I was told by a fellow "brahmacari", that Prabhupada said that taking a warm shower is like embracing a naked woman, but maybe this "Prabhupada said" was started by a temple president who was trying to save money on the utility bills.

 

An alternative to taking a cold shower is to walk around wearing nothing but a dry gumcha (loincloth) after taking a warm shower. Do this until completely dried off and cooled down. Then perspiration will be completely stopped and the pores closed so that bacteria can't enter, and by getting completely dry, especially between the toes and the genital area, fungi have a more difficult time to grow.

 

 

 

[This message has been edited by Pratyatosa Dasa (edited 02-13-2002).]

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...