IndiaDivine.org

Foreigners view bath ceremony of Lord Jagannath in Puri

Rate this topic

Jahnava Nitai Das

Foreigners view bath ceremony of Lord Jagannath in Puri

Puri, June 28 (ANI):

Thousands of Hindu devotees and tourists thronged the coastal town of Puri in Orissa on Tuesday to witness the sacred bath ceremony of Hindu God, Lord Jagannath, prior to the world famous Rath Yatra (chariot festival).

Amid blowing of conchshells and beating of cymbals, the giant limbless wooden images of three deities --Lord Jagannath, his elder brother Lord Balabhadra and sister Subhadra -- were taken out of the temple in traditional gear and given bath by priests of the temple.

Hundreds of foreign tourists also witnessed the ceremony, one of India's biggest religious events.

Many of them said they came to witness the ritual since the temple is out of bounds for foreigners.

"I actually came here twice," said a foreign tourist. "Years ago, I came here for the first time because I know this is a special event for all India. I came here because I know Lord Jagannatha means Lord of the Universe, therefore I came to see him. I know I am white and I can't go inside, but two times in a year, I can see Lord of the Universe at the "Snan Yatra" (bath ceremony)."

Said another: "It was my dream to come to Puri and see Lord Jagannath because western people are not allowed to go inside the temple. It is therefore rare luck to see Lord Jagannath."

After the sacred bath ceremony, the three deities were taken around in a procession around the town. People lined up along the streets to have a view.

"This is a first-time experience for me. I have never been here before. I was always keen to see the sacred bath ceremony. I am lucky that I could see it today, one feels great. I plan to spend the whole day here," said Dilip Sahu, a devotee from West Bengal.

The Chariot Festival involves a ten-day trip by Lord Jagannath to his aunt's house with sister Subhadra and Balaram. The main ceremony of the event consists of pulling of the three giant chariots by devotees.

The journey is a round trip from the main temple to another nearby temple where the idols rest for seven days before their return to the main temple.

At the termination of the ceremony, the chariots are broken up and used to manufacture religious relics. Every year, new chariots are made. The festival, which falls in July-August, is being celebrated for the last ten centuries.

The Jagannath temple, about 60 kilometres from the state capital Bhubaneswar, is one of the holiest places for the Hindus in India. The building is 65 metres high, mounted on the mystic "Chakras" or wheels.

According to the believers, Lord Jagannath is the incarnation of Lord Vishnu, the Preserver, one of the trinity of the Hindu pantheon. The other two are Brahma, the Creator and Shiva, the Destroyer.