IndiaDivine.org

Strange characters in posts

Rate this topic

Jahnava Nitai Das

When you are copying something and pasting it into a message (such as from Folio or Microsoft Word), first paste it into notepad, then copy it from there and paste it here. Otherwise you may get strange characters in the place of quotation marks and other special characters.

Microsoft word and programs using the same text engine convert the first quotation mark into a special open (tilted) quotation mark, and the last quotation mark is converted into a closing quotation mark (tilted opposite direction). These characters cannot be displayed in plain text, and thus these forums garble the messages while trying to display those.

This problem comes in when people use Netscape. I have no problem posting and viewing “ ” ‘ ’ with Opera or Internet Explorer.

At least in Windows XP, Notepad doesn't remove the tilted quotation marks.

I've noted Kailasa often has Russian characters in his postings. They are always converted to question marks whenever anyone replies to his posts.

mahak:"On a lighter note, I thought the title refered to the writers, so glad this is technical info."

Strange.I've been called that so many times I thought it was my name until I was 16.

Proud to be strange,

theist