IndiaDivine.org

Evolution and Promotion

Rate this topic

Guest guest

From dialectic Spiritualism

Syamasundara dasa: Alexander believes that lower organisms strive to emulate higher. Animals strive to become like men, and men strive to become like gods.

Srila Prabhupada: There is no question of striving. It is by nature's way that the lower animals come to the platform of men. The living entity evolves from one life form to another, but this is with the help of nature. This law holds, up to the human platform. Having developed cionsciousness, the human being has the power of discrimination. Originally, the soul is given independence. Krsna tells Arjuna, “Whatever you like, you do.” (Bg. 18.63) God is the supersoul, and we are the jiva souls subordinate to Him. Therefore we are called taöastha, which means we are marginal; we can go either way. We may take God's side, or maya's side. that is our choice. When we don't want to serve God, we are sent to m¢y¢ to serve her. Man's position as a subordinate remains the same, but in m¢y¢ he thinks, “I am the master.” This is just like a child trying to act against his father's wishes. When he is given a chance to do as he likes, the child thinks, “Oh, I am independent now.” Actually he is never independent, but he thinks that he is. When death comes, no one is independent. Although man continually serves m¢y¢ life after life, he still thinks of himself as independent. Only when we surrender to Krsna do we enjoy our real independence.

Syamasundara dasa: But lower forms try to emulate higher ones?

Srila Prabhupada: That is natural. Everyone wants a higher position because everyone is trying to be master. That is the whole problem. One can be a master to some extent: a head clerk in an office, a president, or prime minister. There is much ambition in hte material world because materialistic men are guided by the idea that “I shall become like Krsna.” When their efforts fail in the material world, they strive to merge into Krsna. This is MayavadÆ philosophy. Not knowing that they are already Brahman, spirit soul, they consider themselves the Supreme Brahman, God Himself. therefore they sit and meditate, thinking, “I am moving the sun. I am moving the moon.” This is simply imagination. This is the last snare of m¢y¢. Maya first of all allures us to become a big merchant, a prime minister, a president. Maya is always saying, “Become this, become that, become, become.” Maya is always telling us to work under her direction. Finally, she says, “Now you have failed in all these things. It is better now that you become God, and attain your real status again.” So the living entity begins to think, “I am God,” but m¢y¢ is still kicking him. As soon as this so-called God gets some toothache, he runs to the doctor. He dows not stop to think, “What kind of God am I?”

Syamasundara dasa: But what is that urge for promotion?

Srila Prabhupada: It is not the individual's urge. Nature is giving the impetus. For instance, when you were a child, there wa no sex urge, but when you attained adolescence, immediately the sex urge became manifest. Similarly, the perfection of consciousness is there, but unless you come to the platform of human life, it will not develop.

ethos