IndiaDivine.org

Ashes To Ashes, Dust To.........Diamonds?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Nov 2, 2002 5:02 am US/Pacific

(KCBS) (LOS ANGELES) When you die, how do you want to be remembered? On a tombstone, in an urn, or maybe something a little less traditional?

The options are out there: you could rocket the remains into space, store DNA in crystal and now, there's a new way to keep the memories alive -- turn ashes into diamonds.

They've always said a diamond is forever, now your loved one can be too. It's called a "Lifegem," a diamond made from the carbon in human ashes that can then be worn as a ring, a necklace, or however you choose.

Some people think it's odd or just plain disgusting, but some are taking to the idea.

"I thought, 'What a neat idea,' and within a week of signing on, I had a family in here asking about it," says one Lifegem dealer.

If this all sounds a little odd to you, the creators of the Lifegem understand. But they say it's all based on a simple principle: Carbon, the primary element in diamonds is also in people. So during cremation they capture the carbon in a filter, send it to a lab, and after 16 weeks of intense heat and pressure, dust is turned to diamonds.

"It's a diamond, it's a beautiful diamond, it's not odd; people are very comfortable with it, it's a celebration of life."

The creators of Lifegem say one of their biggest selling points is that you don't have to visit your loved one in a cemetery. You simply carry a part of them with you.

But it's not cheap. A quarter karat will run you about $2,000, a full karat about $15,000, and the price has actually dropped because of demand from all over the world.

It's an eye-catching product, but will it catch on? Are you really ready to wear your loved one on your hand or around your neck? Here's what some people we asked had to say.

"It might freak me out, Aunt Martha on my ears."

"Would I wear my mother in law? No, maybe a pet."

Janet DeMichaelis says she's not only selling the Lifegems, she plans on becoming one.

"I can see myself as a diamond one day."