IndiaDivine.org

Paramahamsa?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Can someone explain to me or define what a paramahamsa is

and can anyone get this title like Paramahamsa Yogananda or do they have to qualify to be called Paramahamsa. Is it a very high title and where does it come from?

Bhagavat Gita Chapter 8 text 2

Srila Prabhupada's purport:

Now the word prayana-kale in this verse is very significant because whatever we do in life will be tested at the time of death. Arjuna fears that at the time of death, those who are in Krsna consciousness will forget the Supreme Lord beause at such a time bodily functions are disrupted, and the mind may be in a panic-stricken state. Therefore Maharaja Kulasekhara, a great devotee, prays, "My dear Lord, may I die immediately now that I'm healthy so that the swan of my mind may enter into the stem of Thy lotus feet." The metaphor is used because the swan often takes pleasure in entering the stem of the lotus flower--similarly, the mind of the pure devotee is drawn to the lotus feet of the Lord. Maharaja Kulasekhara fears that at the moment of death his throat will be so choked up that he will not be able to chant the holy names, so it is better to "die immediately. Arjuna questions how one's mind can remain fixed on Krsna's lotus feet at such times.

I don't know for I am not even a neophyte.If you have pure devotion then you are a transcedental swan.There is no need for anyone outsider to bestow title.Only God can do that for he knows our heart.

Joy

I understand the inner meaning of a swan taking the essence or extracting milk from water, but most of the heads of spiritual lineages seem to have titles some like Goswami, Thakur, Prabhupad, that must be given for a reason. I was just wondering where these extra titles are conferred from especially what makes a Paramahamsa. Thanks again.

Joy, nice attitude,

I've noticed you sound like a very joyous and well adjusted, not even neophyte, (does that translate as Anadhi), always trying to help. Funny how we take on the vibration of the names we wear.