IndiaDivine.org

the Gita and its influences on modern india

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

hello, my name is Ian,

i am in the process of compiling a research essay on the origins and influences of post-modern Indian culture and scoiety. i was wondering if someone/people could post their views on how the Baghavad Gita has influenced post-modern Indian society. any response would be much appreciated.

Thank you very much

Ian

Guest guest

The Gita has not influenced modern society in India in any way. Modern society in India is the result of western influence in the country since the past few centuries. What did not influence the country in a 1000 years is very unlikely to do anything now.

Cheers

• 5 months later...

obviously there must be some form of influence this sacred text has made in this society, why else would a whole question (800 wds) be dedicated to this question? 'none whatsoever' cant really be stretched over 800 words can it? a more thoughtful answer wou;ld also be appreciated by myself who has the same assessment as ian, thanks in advance to whoever can actually give help..

Hare Krishna

"some form of influence"

No, there isn't any, none at all, just ask millions of Krishna Bhatkas, (notice the sarcasm in my post /images/graemlins/grin.gif)

Please read the Gita, then - back here and see what influence it has over you, and if you have read the Gita, then read it again!!....Hare Krishna

Gita Download

Bhagavad Gita As It Is On-Line

Listen to Gita

Gita Lectures

Vedic Books

Click Me!

Bhagavad Gita began it's influence on India as soon as Lord Krsna began speaking His transcendental instructions to Arjuna at Kuruksetra and will continue to influence not only India but all the material world...well, forever! Sound vibrations do not die and the Gita has been passed down by disciplic succession thus spreading Bhagavad Gita far around the globe. It is just that some of us are so covered by the dark veil of Maya that these teachings do not reach us.

Yes Gita has influence in people's mind living in India. It has not been washed out. While a large majority of people may not have read Gita even if they are hindus, (since there is no compulsion in this religion) the principles are still being followed widely among the people as far as possible in their day today life. I hail from South India and have been living hinduism for the past 30 years. I can authentically say that Principles of Gita is still being followed. One can understand it only by living in india and not just by words from someone's mouth. The soiety is still having good amount of morals, social and human values. Inspite of the western influence there are many families certainly in tamilnadu as far as i know and in most part of south India, ( ihave not lived in north India so I dont know, but certainly the culture on the whole is the same throughout India) including metropolitan cities, people live with good morals and cultural values. In cities like Bombay and Bangalore and other major cities, due to buusy city life, it may appear that people are totally not following, but each family has their values which can be understood if you live there rather than asking people through a forum. Influence of a great work cannot be told in just few words by few people who may or may not have lived in india, but you can feel it if you go there or visit few families/individuals who migrated recently to US. (if you are in US for your convenience). Although I have recently migrated to US, nothing has changed me and the values what I inculcated has not changed, and I have seen many people like me here who are still the same as how they were living in India. I am not sure on what aspect you want to know about the influence of Gita. If you are doing a serious research then you need to have personal interaction with Indians from different parts of the country and not just few people as there is minor variations betweeen states in the way they follow the traditions and culture.

Regards