IndiaDivine.org

Hindus in Afghanisthan

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Just saw a quick blurb saying that for the first time the Hindu minority in Afghanisthan has been approached to bring a representative in the creation of a constitution for Afghanisthan. Hope to hear more about this.

Hindu to Help Review Draft Afghan Constitution

Fri April 25, 2003 09:47 AM ET

By Sayed Salahuddin

KABUL (Reuters) - In a first for Islamic Afghanistan, a member of the tiny Hindu minority has been appointed to a commission that will review a draft constitution for the war-torn country.

Businessman Leek Raj will be the first non-Muslim participant in the 35-member Scrutinising Commission, Sayed Fazl Akbar, a spokesman for U.S.-backed President Hamid Karzai told Reuters.

"The idea is to have every strata of the country represented in the work of the constitution," Akbar said.

The commission, which already includes members of other minority groups and some women, is to canvas public opinion on a draft constitution due to be approved in October, officials said.

Officials have refused to discuss what type of government the draft envisages for Afghanistan. In three decades of upheaval, the country has ranged from Soviet-style communism to Islamic fundamentalism under the Taliban.

"Hope has been created that our nation, with sincerity and honesty, can rebuild the country after the approval of the constitution," Vice President Nimatuallah Shahrani, who heads the Constitution Commission that wrote the draft, told reporters.

The draft is due for completion by August. It is expected to go before a Loya Jirga, the main national representative body, for approval in October.

Karzai was picked as president by a Loya Jirga last June to lead the country until elections due in June next year.

It remains unclear whether the new constitution will retain a centralized presidential system, provide a role for the monarchy overthrown in the 1970s, or opt for a strong parliament.

Officials say the new document will be based on a 1964 constitution that dates back to rule of the ailing former monarch Mohammad Zahir Shah, which is viewed as relatively modernist.

Islamic groups insist the document incorporate a conservative interpretation of Islamic Sharia law.

Officials said the document would stress traditional Islamic values and democracy. It would also emphasize social justice, equal rights for ethnic groups and women's rights, they said.

Constitution commission member Professor Musaf Maroofi said the constitution would establish the rule of law.

"The aim of the constitution is the start of legality. People should have a link with the government on the basis of law," he said.

Nigel Fisher, the U.N.'s deputy special envoy for Afghanistan, said a new constitution was one of the main pillars of the 2001 Bonn agreement that brought about the current government. He said it was aimed at uniting ethnic groups and creating stability after 23 years of war.

Hindus make up only a small fraction of Afghanistan's predominately Muslim population of around 25 million.

I remember seeing an interview of some Hindus when we first went into Afganistan. They were being interviewed in the temple. The temple was completely empty - no deities or anything. Everything had been destroyed by the Taliban. They were very hopeful that things would change for them and that they would once again be able to properly worship in the temple soon.

It's all a surprise to me. I didn't even suspect that there were any Hindus there.

I just like the idea of people being allowed to make up their own minds and following their own hearts in these matters.

As long as they are not hurting anyone else. I admit to being closed minded when it comes to animal sacrifice and such.

yes, it was just a big empty room that was once the temple room. No decorations at all. I can not remember how they said they were carrying on their service. I am sure it was in secret although the temple building was still there.

It would be nice if someone were able to locate these temples in Afganistan and donate deities and Their paraphernalia needed to serve Them. Even if the people could get started again with nice large pictures etc.