IndiaDivine.org

Jatava ???

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Hello Everyone,

Nice to meet you. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

My screen name is normally "Java" but for this question I felt it better for me to post as a guest before registering. Thank you for having me in!

There is a long path tha brought me here, but suffice it to say that I have taken great interest in studying Hinduism and to a larger extent Buddhism. I guess you could say it is a move from Western thought ot Eastern, and in it I am finding much more peace and many more answers. I am finding that concepts I once thought to be esoteric are really not actually esoteric at all and are in fact shared by millions.

Well, in real life my name is J.K. (go by initials). And of course, along the way I came across the word "Jataka." I thought I might change my online screen name to this (it even has the ring of J.K.) But I fear that might not be totally appropriate. After all, I would not call myself "Parable." So, I combined Java and Jataka and came up with "Jatava."

Okay - LOL - bear with me please..

Well, this seemed just perfect. I was combining Java (I am a webmater) with Jataka, my affinity for Eastern teaching, plus when I looked at it the "t" reminded me of a crusifix resting gently atop two letter a's.

I had come up with the perfect screen name.. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Still, I thought I would seach just to find out if Jatava really existed and I did so on Google. I found:

1) that there was a D.R. Jatava who had written extensively on Buddhism.

2) that Jatava is also a designated class in India.

3) that there was a Jatavan movement at some point in time that was in someway associated with the "Dalit?" <sp> ???

3) that there was a "King Jatava" at one point in time.

4) That there was at one point a Jatavan or Jetavan monestary in Tibet.

5) There is a form of Jetavan meditation.

Whew!

Now I am totally confused and enlightened all at the same time. I love the screen name. But in my course and study I really do not know what meanings one would attach to the word and especially people from the East. Therefore, I am asking you, my friends. What meaning do you attach to the word "Jatava"

whew! Thanks..

J.K. Bowman - aka "Java"

Editor, Spider-Food.net

Guest guest

the meaning and personality we assign to the username is the one you portray by your posts.

BTW, Jataava is not a class of people in india,

but jadava or yadava is.

krishna had incarnated in yadava class.

jai sri prabhupada!

Guest guest

Hey Thanks!

I must be hupmotized.. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I found this and thought it was a reference to caste. Jatava is in #10.

http://www.eci.gov.in/manuals/part3/rule4a.htm

As you may be able to see, <smile> I may not know what I am talking about at all. But the reason I got the idea that it was a caste really came from here. This is where they talk about the Jatava movement.

http://www.saxakali.com/southasia/litrev3.htm

It is kind of burried, but if you do Edit/Find Text on Page with your browser and search for "jatava" you will find it.

Thanks!

Java