IndiaDivine.org

The mental sins and offenses of an aspiring devotee are not held against him,But...

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

It is generally understood that in the kali-yuga the mental sins and offenses of an aspiring devotee are not held against him. However ,when one takes initiation from a pure devotee spiritual master(chanting 16 rounds ,worshipping the Deity,etc...) then he is considered to be living in satya-yuga and his mental offenses and sins are taken into account.Please confirm.

Haribol, great discussion ammunition, a subject us imperfect devotees should always study.

Certainly, mental sins are not considered in this age, verified by shastra. However, we MUST exercize control, and if our minds are allowed to run rampant, we are very responsible for this. This is the purpose of the sadhana bhakti process, where we can control the mind in this age with the tools provided by the Acaryas.

Take anger, frinstance. I cite a novel of mine which deals with such an issue. The character is wondering about anger, and compares it to the angels of death at passover. They hover outside the door, wanting access, but the door is controlled by the person who is under attack. Anger comes on its own, we cannot control anger, we understand when such a thing is present. But the Bhagavad Gita clearly states that we must control the ACTIONS of anger. The shouting, fighting and killing that comes from anger only come from the person not exercising control. Another ACTION that some may artificially and erroneously consider mental (therefore exempt from ramification) is dwelling on such anger. This is action of the mind, and not free from serious problems. By dwelling on the event and the person, anger WILL turn to envy, then to loss of sanity.

So, I say, "darn, that makes me mad, and then forget about it." The character in the novel sings:

Forget the Fiyeh

c. 1995 mahaksadasa

Words are hurled like rocks on a lake, agitate the waters for awhile

I take what I said back for now, but the waves bounce around for miles

I should only do what Jahmon say, and go about business, turn other cheek

Don't lose real treasure and break my heart by all worldly things I seek

To forget the fiyeh, it burns me

Let it all fade to history

Barking dogs defend the land, angrily showing their teeth

Do I join their kind today, all this anger burning beneath

Or should I do what Jahman say, and always tolerate

All these waves of illusion crashing down, and forget the fiyeh of hate

Trouble all around me crumbling down, but why should I think Im alone

The culprits surely pay for their crimes, someday we all must atone

I should just follow what Jahmon say, forgive the demon who will slay me

The theif with my shirt deserves my coat, if I understand this he will save me

Tresspasser, just go your way, retaliation is not up to me

I forget this fiyeh, it burns me. et it fade into history

I should always do what Jahmon say, no need to worry any more

"Vengeance is Mine" says the Lord, this is what He said it for

This is just anger, other things we think are exempt are not at all. Lusty dreams are silly and cannot be helped, but lusty thoughts while awake must be driven from the mind. This is what deity worship is utilized for in our neophyte stage. Jealousy, sloth, laziness, these mental flaws do have ramifications if ACTIONS are NOT taken by the devotee to minimize their effect on our consciousness.

Anyway, very good subject matter, but we must never surrender to the mind. The mind is the chariot driven by the senses. The chariot will go over a cliff if these unbridled senses are allowed to be the only source of driving. The self is the controller of the chariot, and holds the reins of the senses.

Hare Krsna, ys, mahaksadasa

Guest guest

Srimad Bhagavatam 1.18.7

Maharaja Pariksit was a realist, like the bees who only accept the essence [of a flower]. He knew perfectly well that in this age of Kali, auspicious things produce good effects immediately, whereas inauspicious acts must be actually performed [to render effects]. So he was never envious of the personality of Kali.

PURPORT (partial) by Prabhupada

The age of Kali is called the fallen age. In this fallen age, because the living beings are in an awkward position, the Supreme Lord has given some special facilities to them.

So by the will of the Lord, a living being does not become a victim of a sinful act until the act is actually performed. In other ages, simply by thinking of performing a sinful act, one used to become a victim of the act.

On the contrary, a living being in this age is awarded with the results of pious acts simply by thinking of them. Maharaja Pariksit, being the most learned and experienced king by the grace of the Lord, was not unnecessarily envious of the personality of Kali because he did not intend to give him any chance to perform any sinful act.