IndiaDivine.org

Bilvamangala Thakur

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

(Adi 1.57 The Spiritual Masters)

A great Vaisnava sannyasi named Bilvamangala Thakura, who is also known as Lilasuka. He intensely desired to enter into the eternal pastimes of the Lord, and he lived at Vrndavana for seven hundred years in the vicinity of Brahma-kunda, a still-existing bathing tank in Vrndavana. The history of Bilvamangala Thakura is given in a book called Sri Vallabha-digvijaya. He appeared in the eighth century of the Saka Era in the province of Dravida and was the chief disciple of Visnusvami. In a list of temples and monasteries kept in Sankaracarya's monastery in Dvaraka, Bilvamangala is mentioned as the founder of the Dvarakadhisa temple there. He entrusted the service of his Deity to Hari Brahmacari, a disciple of Vallabha Bhatta.

Bilvamangala Thakura actually entered into the transcendental pastimes of Lord Krsna. He has recorded his transcendental experiences and appreciation in the book known as Krsna-karnamrta. In the beginning of that book he has offered his obeisances to his different gurus, and it is to be noted that he has adored them all equally. The first spiritual master mentioned is Cintamani, who was one of his instructing spiritual masters because she first showed him the spiritual path. Cintamani was a prostitute with whom Bilvamangala was intimate earlier in his life. She gave him the inspiration to begin on the path of devotional service, and because she convinced him to give up material existence to try for perfection by loving Krsna, he has first offered his respects to her. Next he offers his respects to his initiating spiritual master, Somagiri, and then to the Supreme Personality of Godhead, who was also his instructing spiritual master. He explicitly mentions Bhagavan, who has peacock feathers on His crown, because the Lord of Vrndavana, Krsna the cowherd boy, used to come to Bilvamangala to talk with him and supply him with milk. In his adoration of Sri Krsna, the Personality of Godhead, he describes that Jayasri, the goddess of fortune, Srimati Radharani, takes shelter in the shade of His lotus feet to enjoy the transcendental rasa of nuptial love. The complete treatise Krsna-karnamrta is dedicated to the transcendental pastimes of Sri Krsna and Srimati Radharani. It is a book to be read and understood by the most elevated devotees of Sri Krsna.

(NoD 35 Neutral Love of God)

Bilvamangala Thakura was first spiritually initiated for impersonal realization of the Absolute Truth, but later on, by his association with Krsna in Vrndavana, he became an experienced devotee. The same thing happened to Sukadeva Gosvami, who also reformed himself by the grace of the Lord and took to the path of devotional service, giving up the way of impersonal realization.

Sukadeva Gosvami and Bilvamangala Thakura, who gave up the impersonal conception of the Absolute Truth to take to devotional service, are the best examples of devotees situated in the neutral state.

(Madhya 10.177 The Lord' s Return to Jagannatha Puri)

TRANSLATION

"Bilvamangala Thakura abandoned his impersonal realization for the realization of the Personality of Godhead. I now see that my condition is similar to his, for it has already changed."

PURPORT

In his early life, Bilvamangala Thakura was an impersonalistic monist, and he used to meditate upon the impersonal Brahman effulgence. Later he became a devotee of Lord Krsna, and his explanation for this change is given in a verse (text 178) that is quoted in the Bhakti-rasamrta-sindhu. Sometimes a devotee gradually comes to the stage of Bhagavan realization, realization of the Supreme Person, after having attained the lower stages of realization--impersonal Brahman realization and localized Paramatma realization. The condition of such a devotee is described in the Caitanya-candramrta (5) by Prabodhananda Sarasvati:

kaivalyam narakayate tri-dasa-pur akasa-puspayate

durdantendriya-kala-sarpa-patali protkhata-damstrayate

visvam purna-sukhayate vidhi-mahendradis ca kitayate

yat-karunya-kataksa-vaibhavavatam tam gauram eva stumah

Kaivalya, oneness in the effulgence of Brahman, appears hellish to the devotee. The heavenly planets, the abodes of the demigods, appear to a devotee like phantasmagoria. The yogis meditate for sense control, but for the devotee the senses appear like serpents with broken teeth. The devotee doesn't have to control his senses, for his senses are already engaged in the Lord's service. Consequently there is no possibility that the senses will act like serpents. In the material condition, the senses are as strong as poisonous snakes. But when the senses are engaged in the Lord's service, they are like poisonous snakes with their fangs removed, and so they are no longer dangerous. The entire world is a replica of Vaikuntha for the devotee because he has no anxiety. He sees that everything belongs to Krsna, and he does not want to enjoy anything for himself. He does not even aspire for the position of Lord Brahma or Indra. He simply wants to engage everything in the service of the Lord; therefore he has no problem. He stands in his original constitutional position. All this is possible when one receives Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu's merciful glance.

In the Caitanya-candramrta there are many more verses illustrating this same principle.

dhik kurvanti ca brahma-yoga-vidusas tam gauracandram numah

tavad brahma-katha vimukta-padavi tavan na tikti-bhavet

tavac capi visrnkhalatvam ayate no loka-veda-sthitih

tavac chastra-vidam mithah kala-kalo nana-bahir-vartmasu

sri-caitanya-padambuja-priya-jano yavan na dig-gocarah

gauras caurah sakalamaharat ko 'pi me tivra-viryah

A discussion of the impersonal Brahman is not very palatable to a devotee. The so-called regulations of the sastras also appear null and void to him. There are many people who argue over the sastras, but for a devotee such discussions are but tumultuous roaring. By the influence of Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu, all these problems disappear.

(NoD 13 Five Potent Forms of Devotional Service)

In these statements about devotional service, sometimes it may appear that the results have been overestimated, but actually there is no overestimation. Some devotees, as revealed scriptures give evidence, have had immediate results by such association, although this is not possible for all. For example, the Kumaras immediately became devotees simply by smelling the incense in the temple. Bilvamangala Thakura simply heard about Krsna and then immediately gave up his beautiful girl friend and started out for Mathura and Vrndavana, where he became a perfect Vaisnava. So these statements are not overestimations, nor are they stories. They are actual facts, but are true for certain devotees and do not necessarily apply to all. These descriptions, even if considered overestimations, must be taken as they are, in order to divert our attention from the fleeting material beauty to the eternal beauty of Krsna consciousness. And for a person who is already in contact with Krsna consciousness, the described results are not unusual.

(670105CC. NY Lectures)

So this Bilvamangala Thakura, from that prostitute's house he became a saintly man. So he wrote a very nice book, Krsna-karnamrta. Krsna-karnamrta means "pleasing to the ear."

(SB 1.11.19 P Lord Krsna' s Entrance into Dvaraka)

Sri Bilvamangala Thakura, a great acarya of the Visnusvami Vaisnava sect, in his householder life was overly attached to a prostitute who happened to be a devotee of the Lord. One night when the Thakura came to Cintamani's house in torrents of rain and thunder, Cintamani was astonished to see how the Thakura could come on such a dreadful night after crossing a foaming river which was full of waves. She said to Thakura Bilvamangala that his attraction for the flesh and bone of an insignificant woman like her would be properly utilized if it could be diverted to the devotional service of the Lord to achieve attraction for the transcendental beauty of the Lord. It was a momentous hour for the Thakura, and he took a turn towards spiritual realization by the words of a prostitute. Later on the Thakura accepted the prostitute as his spiritual master, and in several places of his literary works he has glorified the name of Cintamani, who showed him the right path.

(SB 5.1.5 P The Activities of Maharaja Priyavrata)

Bilvamangala Thakura had been an advanced devotee in his previous life, but in his next life he became greatly fallen and was attached to a prostitute. Suddenly, however, his entire behavior was changed by the words of the very prostitute who had so much attracted him, and he became a great devotee. In the lives of exalted devotees, there are many such instances, proving that once one has taken to the shelter of the lotus feet of the Lord, he cannot be lost (kaunteya pratijanihi na me bhaktah pranasyati).

The fact is, however, that one becomes a devotee when he is completely freed from all reactions to sinful life. As Krsna states in Bhagavad-gita (7.28):

yesam tv anta-gatam papam

jananam punya-karmanam

te dvanda-moha-nirmukta

bhajante mam drdha-vratah

"Persons who have acted piously in previous lives and in this life, whose sinful actions are completely eradicated and who are freed from the duality of illusion, engage themselves in My service with determination." On the other hand, as Prahlada Maharaja said:

matir na krsne paratah svato va

mitho 'bhipadyeta grha-vratanam

A person who is too attached to materialistic family life--home, family, wife, children and so on--cannot develop Krsna consciousness.

These apparent contradictions are resolved in the life of a devotee by the grace of the Supreme Lord, and therefore a devotee is never bereft of his position on the path of liberation, which is described in this verse as sivatamam padavim.

(Madhya 2.79 The Ecstatic Manifestations of Lord Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu)

lilasuka martya-jana, tanra haya bhavodgama,

isvare se----ki iha vismaya

tahe mukhya-rasasraya, ha-iyachena mahasaya,

tate haya sarva-bhavodaya

TRANSLATION

Lilasuka [bilvamangala Thakura] was an ordinary human being, yet he developed many ecstatic symptoms in his body. What, then, is so astonishing about these symptoms' being manifest in the body of the Supreme Personality of Godhead? In the ecstatic mood of conjugal love, Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu was on the highest platform; therefore, all the exuberant ecstasies were naturally visible in His body.

PURPORT

Lilasuka is Bilvamangala Thakura Gosvami. He was a South Indian, a brahmana, and his former name was Silhana Misra. When he was a householder, he became attracted to a prostitute named Cintamani, but eventually he took her advice and became renounced. Thus he wrote a book named Santi-sataka, and later, by the mercy of Lord Krsna and the Vaisnavas, he became a great devotee. Thus he became famous as Bilvamangala Thakura Gosvami. On that elevated platform he wrote a book named Krsna-karnamrta, which is very famous amongst Vaisnavas. Since he exhibited so many ecstatic symptoms, people used to call him Lilasuka.

(690622SB.NV Lectures)

So, so here it is said that a Krsna conscious person, even if he is fallen down, he is not so degraded. Sridhara Svami, here, herewith quotes a verse from Bhagavad-gita. It is nice.

yatate ca tato bhuyah

samsiddhau kuru-nandana

purvabhyasena tenaiva

hriyate hy avaso 'pi sah

Just like so many boys and girls come to our association just like somebody forcing him, forcing him, "You just remain in this association." That is Krsna's grace. That means in their past life they had been Krsna conscious. Some way or other, it was not being fulfilled. Now again the chance is being given. That is stated in Bhagavad-gita, that yatate ca tato bhuyah samsiddhau. The percentage up to which he finished in his last birth, that is not lost. That is there, fifty percent or forty percent, thirty percent, whatever one executed in the last birth. Now next, this birth, unwillingly or by force, by Krsna's force, he'll have to accept again Krsna consciousness.

Just like Bilvamangala Thakura. I think I have several times spoken about Bilvamangala Thakura. So Bilvamangala Thakura, he raised himself in his previous life to the bhava-bhakti. Bhava-bhakti means always feeling for Krsna. That is the prior stage of loving Krsna, bhava-bhakti. So he, in his previous life he was raised, but somehow or other, he fell down. But it is assured, sucinam srimatam gehe yoga-bhrasto 'bhijayate: "Even such Krsna consciousness person falls down, he is given chance to take birth in nice brahmana family or suci, pure family, and rich family." So Bilvamangala Thakura was very rich man. He was born in a very rich brahmana family. And he was addicted to prostitute. By some way or other, he had some inclination like that. So he could not finish Krsna consciousness. He fallen down. But at a opportune moment he got again the Krsna consciousness.

How is that? The incidence is that he was performing the sraddha ceremony of his father, but he had a girlfriend, prostitute. So he wanted to go there very quickly. So somehow or other he finished. And he wanted to go there. But on the road he found that it was very heavily raining and he had to cross the river. So he did everything. And he... The prostitute was... She thought that "Bilvamangala is not coming today. It is very..., so much raining." So when she saw that Bilvamangala is at the door, she was astonished. She said, "Bilvamangala, how did you come here in this rainy, torrents of rainy...?" So he disclosed everything that how he catched one dead body in the river, then he crossed the river, then he jumped over the wall. So she was astonished, and she simply said, "Oh, this much affection if you would have with Krsna, how you would have been... Your life would have been nice." Immediately it was... "Oh, Krsna...?" Immediately, he left everything. Immediately he left everything and went to Vrndavana. He is... So Krsna is so nice. Just at the right point He will remind. Yatate ca tatah. Here, in the Bhagavad-gita, yatate ca tato bhuyah samsiddhau kuru-nandana, purvabhyasena. He was accustomed, so immediately reminded, immediately.

So these are the, I mean to say, facilities for Krsna consciousness. And this is the only business one should take. All other things, simply waste of time. That is the instruction of Narada. Narada is the spiritual master within, spiritual master of the whole Vaisnava sect. So he's giving the right direction, that "Don't try for anything else. Don't think that you'll be happy this way or that way.

(PoP 8 Failure and Success in Yoga)

In the bhakti-yoga process, the role of the spiritual master is most important and essential. Although the spiritual master will always come back until his devotees have achieved God realization, one should not try to take advantage of this. We should not trouble our spiritual master but should complete the bhakti-yoga process in this life. The disciple should be serious in his service to the spiritual master, and if the devotee is intelligent, he should think, "Why should I act in such a way that my spiritual master has to take the trouble to reclaim me again? Let me realize Krsna in this life." That is the proper way of thinking. We should not think, "Oh, I am sure that my spiritual master will come and save me. Therefore I will do as I please." If we have any affection for our spiritual master, we should complete the process in this life, so that he does not have to return to reclaim us.

In this regard, there is the example of Bilvamangala Thakura, who, in his previous life, was elevated almost to prema-bhakti, the highest platform of devotional service. However, since there is always a chance for a falldown, somehow or other he fell down. In his next life, he was born in a very rich brahmana family, in accordance with the principle enunciated in the Sixth Chapter of Bhagavad-gita (6.41): sucinam srimatam gehe. Unfortunately, as is often the case with rich boys, he became a prostitute hunter. Yet it is said that his spiritual master instructed him through his prostitute, saying, "Oh, you are so attached to this mere flesh and bones. If you were this much attached to Krsna, how much good you might achieve!" Immediately Bilvamangala Thakura resumed his devotional service.

Although the spiritual master assumes responsibility for his disciple, we should not take advantage of this. Rather, we should try to please the spiritual master (yasya prasadad bhagavat-prasadah). We should not put our spiritual master in such a position that he has to reclaim us from a house of prostitution. But even if he has to do so, he will do it, because he assumes this responsibility when he accepts his disciple.

(710211SB.GOR Lectures)

sradha-krsna-padaravinda-bhajananandena mattalikau, be jolly in the service of Radha-Krsna, bhajanananda. That should be the basis of jolly, jollyness. And this should be adjusted or minimized according to... Our real pleasure should be in bhajananandena.

Radha-krsna-padaravinda-bhajananandena. In this way we have taken very serious job. In this life we want to finish this material existence for good. That should be the responsibility, that "We are going to finish this material existence for good. No more coming." Tyaktva deham punar janma naiti. If you take responsibility in that way, then everything will be adjusted. Serious. My Guru Maharaja used to say like that, that "Finish this business in this life. Don't delay for the next life." He was telling also that "Don't give me trouble again to come here to deliver you." That is the responsibility of spiritual master. Spiritual master responsibility is to take the disciple to Krsna, until he is able to do, to help him, to help him, to help him. That is the verdict of the sastras. Just like Bilvamangala Thakura. His spiritual master delivered him, taking the shape of a prostitute. So these stories are there. We have to take responsibility. The first thing is that we have taken very, very responsible task, to finish this so-called lording over this material nature. The material life means everyon e is trying to lord over the material nature, bhoga. And we cannot do that. That is not possible. Therefore we are in trouble.

(661130CC. NY Lectures) Then he was (going to) Vrndavana. He saw another beautiful woman because he was practiced to that habit. So he was going behind. Although he determined, "Now I am going to Vrndavana," on the way he was again attracted by another woman. So he followed that woman. That woman belonged to a respectable family. So he came, and the woman said to her husband, "Oh, this man is following me. Please ask, 'What is the idea?' " So the husband asked, "My dear sir, you appear to be very nice gentleman, and you belong to very aristocratic family. From your appearances I understand. What do you want? Why you are following my wife?" He said, "Yes, I am following wife because I want to embrace her.Oh, you want to embrace? Come on. Embrace. Come on. You are welcome. Come on." So the wife also... She (he) ordered, "Oh, here is a guest. He wants to embrace you and kiss you. So please decorate yourself nicely so that he may enjoy." So the wife also followed the instruction of the husband because wife's duty is to follow the instruction. And when Bilvamangala came inside before the woman, he said, "My dear mother, will you kindly give your hairpins?Yes. Why?I have got some business." Then he took the hairpin and at once pierced his eyes: "Oh, this eye is my enemy." And he became blind. He became blind. Then all of them... "That's all right. Now no more I shall be disturbed."

So in that blindness he was penancing, austerity in Vrndavana. So by the grace of Krsna, Krsna came like a boy. "Oh, my dear sir, why you are starving? Why don't you take some milk?Oh, who are You, my dear boy?Oh, I am a boy of this village. I am a cowherd boy. If you like, I can give you daily some milk.All right." So Krsna supplied him milk. So there was friendship. And he has written that bhakti is such a thing that muktih mukulitanjali sevate asman: "Mukti, mukti is nothing for me." So this is his verse, muktih mukulitanjali sevate asman: "So we have no desire for mukti. When Krsna comes to supply milk, oh, then what is the use of my mukti?" You see? That's a great soul, Bilvamangala Thakura. It is worth to remember his name. For seven hundred hears he lived in Vrndavana, and he has written a nice book which is Krsna-karnamrta. That is a very authoritative book, Krsna-karnamrta. Lord Caitanya picked up this book, and He recommended all His devotees to read that Krsna-karnamrta book.

Thank you very much.

(TLK Vs 32 Bhakti as Ultimate Liberation)

When Bilvamangala Thakura was going to Vrndavana, he was still attracted to women. One night he stayed at the house of a very rich merchant, and the merchant's wife told her husband that Bilvamangala Thakura was attracted to her. She asked her husband what to do, and the merchant simply said, "Serve him." Finally Bilvamangala Thakura came to his senses, and he thought, "These eyes are my enemies." When the beautiful woman approached him, Bilvamangala Thakura said, "Mother, please give me the pins out of your hair. I am very mad after the beauty of women. So let me pluck out my eyes." In this way, he blinded himself. Although he could not see, in Vrndavana he was supplied milk by Krsna Himself. Thus he personally realized Krsna through bhakti and wrote of his personal experience. He wrote, "Mukti is not a very important thing. She is always at my service with folded hands, saying, 'My dear sir, what can I do for you?' " Thus a devotee is not very anxious for mukti because he is already liberated. If a man has a million dollars, why should he hanker after ten rupees?

(741202SB.BOM Lectures)

When Bilvamangala Thakura was in Vrndavana he voluntarily plucked out his eyes. Because he was very much fond of seeing beauty of woman, so he thought, "These eyes are my enemies." So he personally plucked out his eyes. When he was going to Vrndavana, still he became attracted by a woman, and therefore... That woman, of course, was a very rich merchant's wife. So she told her husband that "This man is coming after me. What to do?" So that merchant received him. "Oh, he's saintly person. All right, you serve him." So Bilvamangala Thakura came to his senses. He said, "Mother, you give me the pins of your hair. So I am so much after the beauty of woman, so let me pluck out the eyes." So he made voluntarily blind. So he could not see, but still, Krsna was coming in Vrndavana. Krsna is always in Vrndavana. So He was supplying milk. So divya-kisora-murtih, he practically realized through bhakti. Therefore he wrote by his personal experience, bhaktis tvayi sthiratara bhagavan yadi syad daivena nah phalati divya-kisora-murtih. And so far dharmartha-kama-moksa, moksa, muktih svayam mukulitanjali sevate asman: "Mukti is not very important thing. She is always standing at my service," mukulitanjali, "with folded hands, Mukti: 'My dear sir, what can I do for you?' " This is mukti's position.

(741202SB.BOM Lectures)

When Bilvamangala Thakura was in Vrndavana he voluntarily plucked out his eyes. Because he was very much fond of seeing beauty of woman, so he thought, "These eyes are my enemies." So he personally plucked out his eyes. When he was going to Vrndavana, still he became attracted by a woman, and therefore... That woman, of course, was a very rich merchant's wife. So she told her husband that "This man is coming after me. What to do?" So that merchant received him. "Oh, he's saintly person. All right, you serve him." So Bilvamangala Thakura came to his senses. He said, "Mother, you give me the pins of your hair. So I am so much after the beauty of woman, so let me pluck out the eyes." So he made voluntarily blind. So he could not see, but still, Krsna was coming in Vrndavana. Krsna is always in Vrndavana. So He was supplying milk. So divya-kisora-murtih, he practically realized through bhakti. Therefore he wrote by his personal experience, bhaktis tvayi sthiratara bhagavan yadi syad daivena nah phalati divya-kisora-murtih. And so far dharmartha-kama-moksa, moksa, muktih svayam mukulitanjali sevate asman: "Mukti is not very important thing. She is always standing at my service," mukulitanjali, "with folded hands, Mukti: 'My dear sir, what can I do for you?' " This is mukti's position.

(761119SB.VRN Lecture

In Vrndavana Bilvamangala Thakura, he was blind. He was sitting in one place, and Krsna used to come and supply him milk.

(Madhya 9.304 Lord Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu' s Travels to the Holy Places)

This river is a branch of the river Krsna. It is said that Thakura Bilvamangala resided on the banks of this river, which is also called the Vina, the Veni, the Sina and the Bhima.

(690513 rc.col Conversations)

Allen Ginsberg: Suradasa, the poet.

Prabhupada: Yes. He is known as Suradasa.

Allen Ginsberg: Teacher of Tulasi Dasa, or student of Tulasi Dasa.

Prabhupada: He may be different, but Bilvamangala Thakura, he was also blind. He made himself blind. You know the story of Bilvamangala?

Allen Ginsberg: No.

Prabhupada: Bilvamangala Thakura, in his previous life, he elevated himself to the loving stage of Krsna. Not exactly, just previous, bhava. It is called bhava, ecstasy. But some way or other, he could not finish, so according to the instruction of Bhagavad-gita, he was given birth to a nice brahmana family. (aside:) You can call that Bengali lady. She can hear. So very rich. Sucinam srimatam gehe, in that way. Rich family, at the same time, brahmana family. But richness, generally, sometimes glide down to wine, women, and intoxication. So by bad company he became woman-hunter, prostitute-hunter. So he was too much addicted to one woman, Cintamani. So his father died, and he was... He did not marry. In your country it is called girlfriend, and in our country it is called prostitute. So he was that about that prostitute, Cintamani. So he was performing the rituals, but he was thinking of his girlfriend, that Cintamani, "When I shall go there?" Bilvamangala Thakura? Yes. So he asked his servants, "Give me some food. I shall go to Cintamani." So anyway, he performed... Did not perform. His mind was there. He took some nice foodstuff, and when he went, there was a big river, and it was raining heavily, and the river was flooded. So he thought, "How shall I go the other side?" So one dead body was floating. So he thought, "It is a log," and he took the help of the log and went the other side. And it was heavy raining. And then, when he reached that Cintamani's home, he saw the door is locked already. Blocked. So he jumped over the wall, taking the tail of a serpent, and when he reached inside, he knocked the door, and Cintamani was astonished. "How did you come? So heavy rain. You had to cross the river." He said everything, that "Oh, I cannot stay without you." So she was much inquisitive: "How did you come? How did you jump over this wall?" And so he showed everything, that there was a big snake, and so he thought it as rope and jumped it. And then, when he went to the riverside, he saw that was a dead body. So at that time Cintamani thought, "Oh, this man is so much addicted to me." So she told, "Oh, this much attraction if you would have with Krsna, oh, how nice your life would have been." So immediately he came to his senses because he was lifted to that position in his previous life. So immediately he left and was going alone to Vrndavana. And on the way he saw another beautiful woman. So his business was to be attracted by woman. So he again became attracted. So he was following. So this woman, after entering, she told her husband, "Just see, this man is following from a distant place." So he asked him, "Oh, come on." He saw he is nice gentleman. He was a rich man, brahmana. "What is this?" He said plainly, "Oh, I have been attracted by your wife, by the beauty of your wife.All right, come on. What is that?" You enjoy my wife. You are brahmana. You are..." So he was received well. And at night, when he was given place, then he asked that woman, "Mother, will you give me your hair pin?" He took the hair pin and pushed in the eyes: "Oh, these eyes are my enemy." Since then he became blind. And in that blindness he was worshiping Krsna, and Krsna was coming to him. And he would not touch. He'll sing, dance, and He'll supply milk and go away. So this Bilvamangala Thakura wrote one book, Krsna-karnamrta. It is very valuable book. That is very highly estimated, Lord Caitanya.

Allen Ginsberg: What century is that?

Prabhupada: It is since seven hundred years...

Guest (1) (Indian Woman): Fourteenth...

Prabhupada: Yes, fourteenth century.

Allen Ginsberg: Bilda... How do you pronounce his name?

Prabhupada: No. Fourteenth century, not Bilvamangala. Bilvamangala Thakura, some time before(?).

Guest (1): Bilvamangala.

Allen Ginsberg: Bilvamangala. Bilvamangala. No, I didn't know the name. Prabhupada: Yes. There are many poets. He was great poet. If you read this Krsna-karnamrta poetry, ah, you'll find.