IndiaDivine.org

Vegetarianizm and ISKON principles

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I am a vegetarian and dont eat eggs and dont wear silk as silk is made by killing the cucoons. Is your Guruji wearing Silk shawl in the photograph I see. If so is it not against the principles of Gita.

In much ancient times, originally the silk people were using were made after the pupa metamorphosed and escaped as insect. Nowadays I find in temples also they put silk for God including Krishna. Why this is so inspite of talking about non-vegetarianism

Guest: Is your Guruji wearing Silk shawl in the photograph I see. If so is it not against the principles of Gita.

I don't know what photgraph you see, or even if it's my guru in the picture. My spiritual master, His Divine Grace A. C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada, did sometimes wear silk cloth. Basically, he wore whatever we gave him to wear, but as silk is considered ritually pure, his disciples provided him with silk cloth when we could afford it. I believe that he preferred ahimsa silk, which is as you describe it. In the mid '70s, a friend of mine who lived here on the Big Island had an idea of raising silkworms as a business. He is a wonderful artist who made Deities, and Srila Prabhupada encouraged him to make Deities and figures for dioramas presenting our philoshophy. When he asked Srila Prabhupada about rasing silkworms, Prabhupada replied, "I've asked you to make dolls, but you want to become a butcher?"

I have read Prabupadaji's Gita commentary. But when I saw his photo in which he was wearing a shining silk cloth, I felt how he could be doing this when he is talking about My Lord. I hope he was wearing the ahimsa silk as you have mentioned. But silk where the worms were killed is not considered divine anyday and this is what Kanchi Paramacharya told when he was alive. I too can afford expensive silk cloth, but I dont feel pride in it and wear it because its a pride of butchery. I like to be simple and this is what Krishna said. Anyway thanks for your explanation. But please change your views on divinity of silk.