IndiaDivine.org

What are the admissions requirements for Goloka Vrndavana?

Rate this topic

SDL

So, it's college application time for us senior high schoolers. Here's the list of schools I plan to apply to, all are for Physics. My SAT is 1510 and GPA is 3.8. I'm El Presidente of the Spanish club and Vice President of our chapter of the National Honor Society. I am also 1st violinst in our high school symphony.

1) Stanford

2) MIT

3) UC Berkeley

4) UC Illinois Urbana Champaign

5) Georgia Tech

My friend mentioned a place called Goloka Vrndavana, but I heard it has a low acceptance rate. How should I study for its special entrance exam, I heard it does not accept college admissions standardized test scores? What if I don't score high enough? This is the first time I've ever been worried about my abilities.

-SDL

In a 1969 letter to Gaurasundara das, Srila Prabhupada wrote:<blockquote>" I am always encouraged to learn of the nice activities of our Hawaii Iskcon as they go on under your direction. These concerts which you are attending will not go in vain, because all of these people who are now hearing these vibrations of Hare Krishna Mantra will be gradually coming to our camp of Krishna Consciousness. This is the Vedic process that simply by sound vibrations there will be the reaction of spiritual benefit. And for all of these people who are joining you in chanting and helping you in your various activities, for them Krishna has shown His Special Mercy, and it is to be understood that Krishna will guide them more and more to return to Him again in His Spiritual Abode, Goloka Vrindaban."</blockquote>

Letter to: Jahnava

--

Los Angeles

14 February, 1969

69-02-14

My Dear Jahnava Dasi

Please accept my blessings, and the blessings of my Guru Maharaja. I am very pleased to now accept you as my disciple, and your spiritual name is Jahnava Dasi. Janava Devi was the consort energy of Lord Nityananda.

This process of Krishna Consciousness is offered to every one, but only one out of many thousands of people will accept it. Therefore you should be very serious about perfecting your life in Krishna Consciousness, and thereby becoming qualified to enter into the Kingdom of God, Goloka Vrindaban.

So please receive these beads, duly chanted upon by me, and chant at least 16 rounds daily and follow all of the regulative principles. Take assistance from your godbrothers and godsisters there, and engage yourself purely in the business of Krishna Consciousness. This will bring all success to you. You can be certain of this.

I hope this will meet you in very good health.

Your ever well-wisher,

A. C. Bhaktivedanta Swami

The professor's written guarantee as given to Brahmananda das later that year:<blockquote>"Regarding your request for your deliverance from the clutches of Maya, please rest assured of being delivered, because we have captured the strong chain of disciplic succession. This chain is coming down from the highest platform, Krishna. Just like a rope comes down the well so that anyone who may catch the rope from any position is sure to be delivered; so our aim should be to not give up the rope. We must capture the rope very tightly. Then our deliverance is assured. So far as I am concerned, in relationship with my disciples who are so kindly cooperating with me in the matter of my rendering service to my Spiritual Master, for them I am always ready to come back from Goloka Vrindaban, if they are not delivered along with me. So don't be worried about the clutches of Maya. Be fixed up in your determination and go on serving the Supreme Lord, Krishna, with determination as you are already doing."</blockquote>

As noted in the purport to Sri Brahma-samhita 5.4-5:<blockquote><center><font color="red">tat-kiJjalkaM tad-aMzAnAM

tat-patrANi zriyAm api

</center>

tat--of that (lotus); kiJjalkam--the petals; tat-aMzAnAm--of His (KRSNa's) fragmental portions; tat--of that (lotus); patrANi--the leaves; zriyAm--of the gopIs (headed by SrImatI RAdhArANI); api--also.

</font>

The whorl of that eternal realm Gokula is the hexagonal abode of KRSNa. Its petals are the abodes of gopIs who are part and parcel of KRSNa to whom they are most lovingly devoted and are similar in essence. The petals shine beautifully like so many walls. The extended leaves of that lotus are the gardenlike dhAma, i.e. spiritual abode of SrI RAdhikA, the most beloved of KRSNa.

PURPORT

The transcendental Gokula is shaped like the lotus. The eternal world is like a hexagonal figure; in that the entities SrI RAdhA-KRSNa, appearing in the form of a mantra consisting of eighteen transcendental letters, are centered. The propagating manifestations emanating from the cit potency are present there with the said entities as the center. SrI RAdhA-KRSNa is the primary cause or the seed Himself. GopAla-tApanI says, "OMkAra" signifies the All-Powerful GopAla and His potency; and "klIM" is the same as oMkAra. Hence kAma-bIja or the primary cause of all-love, is connotative of the entities SrI RAdhA-KRSNa.

<center><font color="red">

catur-asraM tat-paritaH

zvetadvIpAkhyam adbhutam

catur-asraM catur-mUrtez

catur-dhAma catuS-kRtam

caturbhiH puruSArthaiz ca

caturbhir hetubhir vRtam

zUlair dazabhir Anaddham

UrdhvAdho dig-vidikSv api

aSTabhir nidhibhir juSTam

aSTabhiH siddhibhis tathA

manu-rUpaiz ca dazabhir

dik-pAlaiH parito vRtam

zyAmair gauraiz ca raktaiz ca

zuklaiz ca pArSadarSabhaiH

zobhitaM zaktibhis tAbhir

adbhutAbhiH samantataH

</center>

catuH-asraM---quadrangular place; tat--that (Gokula); paritaH--surrounding; zveta-dvIpa--SvetadvIpa (the white island); Akhyam--named; adbhutam--mysterious; catuH-asram--quadrangular; catuH-mUrteH--of the four primary expansions (VAsudeva, SaGkarSaNa, Pradyumna and Aniruddha); catuH-dhAma--consisting of four abodes; catuH-kRtam--divided into four parts; caturbhiH--by the four; puruSa-arthaiH--human requirements; ca--and; caturbhiH--by the four; hetubhiH--causes, or bases of achievement; vRtam--enveloped; zUlaiH--with tridents; dazabhiH--ten; Anaddham--fixed; Urdhva-adhaH--upwards and downwards (the zenith and nadir); dik--(in) the directions (north, south, east, and west); vidikSu--and in the intermediate directions (northeast, southeast, southwest, and northwest); api--also; aSTabhiH--with the eight; nidhibhiH--jewels; juSTam--endowed; aSTabhiH--with the eight; siddhibhiH--mystic perfections (aNimA, laghimA, prApti, prAkAmya, mahimA, Izitva, vazitva, and kAmAvasAyitA); tathA--also; manu-rUpaiH--in the form of mantras; ca--and; dazabhiH--by ten; dik-pAlaiH--protectors of the directions; paritaH--all around; vRtam--surrounded; zyAmaiH--blue; gauraiH--yellow; ca--and; raktaiH--red; ca--and; zuklaiH--white; ca--also; pArSada-RSabhaiH--with the topmost associates; zobhitam--shining; zaktibhiH--with potencies; tAbhiH--those; adbhutAbhiH--extraordinary; samantataH--on all sides.

</font>

[The surrounding external plane of Gokula is described in this verse.] There is a mysterious quadrangular place named SvetadvIpa surrounding the outskirts of Gokula. SvetadvIpa is divided into four parts on all sides. The abode of VAsudeva, SaGkarSaNa, Pradyumna and Aniruddha are separately located in each of these four parts. These four divided abodes are enveloped by the fourfold human requirements such as piety, wealth, passion and liberation, as also by the four Vedas, viz., Rg, SAma, Yajur and Atharva, which deal with the mantra and which are the bases of achievements of the fourfold mundane requirements. Ten tridents are fixed in the ten directions, including the zenith and nadir. The eight directions are decorated with the eight jewels of MahApadma, Padma, SaGkha, Makara, Kacchapa, Mukunda, Kunda, and NIla. There are ten protectors [dik-pAlas] of the ten directions in the form of mantra. The associates of the hues of blue, yellow, red and white and the extraordinary potencies bearing the names of Vimala, etc., shine on all sides.

PURPORT

Primarily Gokula is the seat of transcendental love and devotion. Hence YamunA, SrI Govardhana, SrI RAdhA-kuNDa, etc., of the terrestrial Vraja-maNDala lie within Gokula. Again, all the majesties of VaikuNTha are manifested there extending in all directions. The pastimes of the four propagating manifestations are all there in their proper places. The paravyoma VaikuNTha has got its extension from the display of the four propagating manifestations. Salvation as of VaikuNTha, and piety. wealth and passion pertaining to worldly people, are in the proper places in Gokula as their original seed, i.e., primary cause. The Vedas also are engaged in singing the song of the Lord of Gokula. There are ten tridents in ten directions to prevent and disappoint those who are aspirants for having an entrance into Goloka through meditations without the grace of KRSNa. Self-conceited people who try to reach this region through the paths of yoga (meditation) and jJAna (empiric knowledge) are baffled in their attempts, being pierced by the ten tridents. Self-annihilation has its excellence in Brahma-dhAma which represents the outside covering of Goloka in the shape of tridents. SUla means a trident; the mundane threefold attributes and the threefold divisions of time represent the trident. ASTAGga-yogis i.e. ascetics who practice the eightfold yoga, are the nondifferentiative liberationists who, trying to approach in the direction of Goloka, fall headlong into the pits of disappointment by being pierced and cut asunder by these tridents placed in ten directions. Those who proceed towards the direction of Goloka through the channel of devotion alloyed with majestic ideas, are fascinated with the charms of VaikuNTha which is the outer covering plane of SrI Goloka, at the sight of the eight perfections, viz., aNimA, etc., and majesties like mahApadma, etc. Those who are less forward in their intelligence relapse to the sevenfold world falling under the control of the ten protectors (of the ten directions) in the guise of mantras. In this wise, Goloka has become unknowable and inaccessible. It is only the divine selves of Godhead, the propounders of the divine dispensations for the different ages, who are always forward there to favor the approaching devotees who seek entry into the realm of Goloka through the channel of pure devotional love. These divine forms of Godhead are surrounded there with attendants of their respective natures. SvetadvIpa in Goloka is their place of abode. Hence SrIla ThAkura VRndAvana the manifest VyAsa of caitanya-lIlA, has described the village of NavadvIpa as bearing the name of SvetadvIpa. In this SvetadvIpa the concluding portions of the pastimes of Gokula exist eternally as the pastimes of NavadvIpa. Hence the region of NavadvIpa, Vraja and the realm of Goloka are one and the same indivisible entity; the difference only lies in the manifestations of the infinite variety of sentiments, corresponding to the diverse nature of their devotional love. There is in this a most hidden principle which only the greatest souls who are possessed of the highest transcendental love, are enabled to realize by the direct grace of KRSNa. The truth is as follows: In this mundane world there are fourteen spheres disposed in the graded order of high and low. Persons living with wives and children hankering for the pleasure-giving effect of their fruitive actions, move up and down within the limits of the three worlds of BhUH, BhuvaH and SvaH. BrahmacArIs of great austerities, ascetics and persons addicted to hypothetical truth, persons of a neutral disposition adopting nonfruitive works by an aptitude which seeks to be free from all mundane desires, move up and down within the limits of the worlds of MahaH, JanaH, TapaH and Satya. Above these worlds lies the abode of four-headed BrahmA, above which lies the unlimited realm of VaikuNTha of ViSNu, KSIrodakazAyI, lying in the ocean of milk. paramahaMsa-sannyAsIs and the demons killed by SrI Hari, by crossing the VirajA, i.e., by passing beyond the fourteen worlds, enter into the luminous realm of Brahman and attain to nirvANa in the form of temporary abeyance of the temporal ego. But the devotee actuated by knowledge (jJAna-bhakta), the devotee actuated by the pure devotional aptitude (zuddha-bhakta), the devotee imbued with loving devotion (prema-bhakta), the devotee actuated by pure love (premapara-bhakta), and the devotee impelled by overwhelming love (premAtura-bhakta), who serve the majesty of Godhead, have their locations in VaikuNTha, i.e., the transcendental realm of SrI NArAyaNa.

The devotees who are imbued with all-love and who walk in the footsteps of the spiritual maids of Vraja, alone attain to the realm of Goloka. The different locations of the devotees in Goloka according to the respective differences in the nature of their rasa, i.e., mellow quality. are settled by the inconceivable power of KRSNa. The pure devotees following the devotees of Vraja and those following the pure devotees of NavadvIpa are located in the realm of KRSNa and Gaura respectively. The identical devotees of Vraja and NavadvIpa simultaneously attain to the pleasures of service in the realm of KRSNa and Gaura. SrI JIva GosvAmI writes in his work GopAla-campU that "the supreme transcendental realm is called Goloka being the abode of go, transcendental cows, and gopa, transcendental cowherds. This is the seat of the rasa pastimes of the absolute SrI KRSNa. Again the realm is called SvetadvIpa owing to the realization of some of the rasas which are the inconceivable manifestation derived from the untouched purity of that supreme realm. The twofold entities of the supreme Goloka and the supreme SvetadvIpa are indivisibly the realm of Goloka." The gist of the whole matter is this--Goloka as SvetadvIpa is eternally manifest because the pleasures of enjoyment of the rasa could not be had in its entirety in the pastimes of KRSNa in Vraja. He accepts the emotion and effulgence of His predominated moiety. SrI RAdhikA, and makes an eternal pastime for the enjoyment of kRSNa-rasa there. SrI KRSNacandra coveting to taste the following pleasures, viz., to realize (1) the nature of the greatness of love of SrI RAdhA; (2) the nature of the wonderful sweetness of His love of which SrI RAdhikA has got the taste; (3) the nature of the exquisite joy that accrues to SrI RAdhA by Her realization of the sweetness of His love, took His birth, like the moon, in the ocean of the womb of SrI SacI-devI. The esoteric desire of SrI JIva GosvAmI Prabhu is herein made manifest. In the Veda it is also said, "Let me tell you the mystery. In NavadvIpa, the identical realm of Goloka, on the bank of the Ganges, Gauracandra who is Govinda, the entity of pure cognition, who has two hands, who is the soul of all souls, who has the supreme great personality as the great meditative sannyAsin and who is beyond the threefold mundane attributes, makes the process of pure unalloyed devotion manifest in this mundane world. He is sole Godhead. He is the source of all forms, the Supreme Soul and is Godhead manifesting Himself in yellow, red, blue and white colors. He is the direct entity of pure cognition full of the spiritual (cit) potency. He is the figure of the devotee. He is the bestower of devotion and cognizable by devotion alone. The selfsame Gauracandra, who is no other than KRSNa Himself, in order to taste the rasa of the pastimes of RAdhA-KRSNa in Goloka, is manifest in the eternal realm of NavadvIpa identical with Goloka." This is also clear from the Vedic declarations, viz., Asan varNAs trayaH, kRSNa-varNaM tviSAkRSNam, yathA pazyaH pazyati rukma-varNam, mahAn prabhur vai and various other statements of the theistic scriptures. Just as SrI KRSNa had His birth in the mundane Gokula through the agency of YogamAyA who is the primal energy of the Supreme Lord, so with her help He manifests the lIlA of His birth in the womb of SacI-devI in NavadvIpa on this mundane plane. These are the absolute truths of spiritual science and not the outcome of imaginary speculation under the thraldom of the deluding energy of Godhead.

</blockquote>

gHari

P.S. It should be understood that one does not actually capture an angel and sacrifice her heart to admissions. No, that is a fundamentalist aberration.